(7 posts)
  1. junebug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 30 2019 12:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I'm trying to determine, whether my top floor apartment had been infested with bed bugs, or rather swallow bugs, as birds have nested in the roof in the past.

Here is a photo of a really tiny nymph measuring merely 0.5 mm, which I picked up with a lint roller off the top of the couch that I sleep on (situated right next to the roof window). It seems a little mangled, sadly, and the photo is quite blurry - sorry. Please note the reddish, blood-like spot inside its abdomen - that't why I don't think this could be a psocid...

Then, there were the larger, distinctly bed bug-like nymphs, that I found crawling on the wall next to my dog's bed, in broad daylight (also two dead ones in the bed itself - my dog takes Fluralaner, which poisons ticks and fleas). There's something off about their size, too - they have the appearance of stage 3 nymphs (from what I've seen online), but the size of an earlier stage - they measure about 1.5 mm each. Please, correct me if my reasoning is wrong. Do these look like regular, stage 1 BB nymphs?

I will appreciate any insight - honestly, I've reached a point where googling and reading around is no longer helping me reach any objective conclusions. I hope that this topic is not a waste of anyone's time.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 30 2019 13:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

They do not look like typical bed bugs. In 2 pictures, the head looks more like members of Anthocoridae. Specimens would be required to examine and adult specimens are always best for any species identification.
    The topic isn't a waste of time.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. junebug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 30 2019 18:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

I found an exact visual match for the third specimen (with a red stripe on its abdomen that looks like undigested blood), so I'm fairly confident now that it is actually a pirate bug nymph, as you said. I've seen winged adults around the house, but never made the connection.

4. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 3:35:42
    #

Login to Send PM

But can bite, too. Luckly they are outdoor insects.

The last summer in Europe was very Long. There were a lot of them flying around and their bites are quite painful for such a tiny insect. But they are not bloodsuckers.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 4:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 48 minutes ago  » 
    But can bite, too. Luckly they are outdoor insects.
    The last summer in Europe was very Long. There were a lot of them flying around and their bites are quite painful for such a tiny insect. But they are not bloodsuckers.

Quite true. Thanks, Mawiwala. Hopefully, Junebug must have come across this info searching for information about minute pirate bugs.

6. junebug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 6:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both so much for your response!

I will continue to read about Anthocoridae, as their winged, human-biting ways could be the source of my itchy bumps. It's definitely nice to take a break from googling BBs, although I'll still keep an eye out for the Cimex.

I've collected some visual evidence of a blood-sucking presence in my bedroom, which I may end up sharing in a separate topic . For now, though, I'll abandon this one, since the regrettable title I gave it turned out to be completely off the mark.

Sorry in advance to anyone, who comes on here looking for bird bug nymphs.

7. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 7:26:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to add: Pirate bugs are like sharks. They only do a test bite and recognice you are not food.

And don't worry. Pirate bug nymphs do actually have more resemblence to bed bug nymph than other insects which are posted here for an ID.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies