Swallow Bug, Bird Mites, or BedBugs?

(7 posts)
  1. bugginkiddinme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 3:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with this issue going on two years now. I live in a two-story log home that has many swallow nests and other bird nests placed directly above where I sleep on the outside. I can hear them in the morning and it is almost like they are in the room with me. I sleep upstairs.

My first encounter was while I was reading in bed one lazy summer afternoon. I felt something crawl on my arm and I instinctively grabbed it and placed it beside me so I could take a look at it. It was at first what I thought the most ugliest tick I had ever seen. It was pale translucent and as flat as a page in my book. It had all sorts of bands around its body and was very difficult to kill which is what made me think it was a tick. I killed it flushed it down the toilet and didn't think much of it.

I did find one picture online that identifies what I saw as a Swallow Bug

Since then I have found smaller reddish/brown looking bug(s) on my wall and on my pillows. I have checked my mattress and box spring and have found nothing. But I have found droppings near my pillow and on my headboard. Since I first saw the bugs it is also important to note that my dog has been getting bitten more than I have. I have only counted two separate encounters where I have had three bites in a weird pattern.

I first notice these bugs in May/June. I start sleeping better in November/December.

I am the only one who is being effected and no one else has noticed anything. I noticed there was some holes through the wall next to my bed and in the logs so I started sealing them up. I have also got rid of my headboard and moved my bed away from the wall as well as bought four XL plastic dog bowls and put it under my four legs of my bed as well as sprinkled some DE in the bowl and on the wheel. I also covered my box spring and mattress with a BB cover just encase there were some and I just didn't see them.

So far I have not found any droppings (which I have found a lot these past few weeks) and I have not noticed any bites on me or my dog like before.

I have a few questions:

After a meal how many droppings does one bed bug/swallow bug drop?

Where are some stories of other people who had Swallow Bug/Bird Mite issue?

Will/can a bedbug/swallow bug drop or jump from a ceiling onto your bed if it is not touching the wall and easy for them to access?

Thanks for your time...

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The angle of that image is making it hard to ID accurately, however a number of features are saying its not a standard bedbug.

I would encourage you to post some more angles to help us confirm.

In your case its almost certainly necessary to find a way to resolve your issue as well as the birds issue, that may not mean destroying the nests but some next replacement may be needed.

There are a few posts about martin and bat bugs on the forum which are worth reading, their behavior is well documented and they are something of a rarer pest that bedbugs but it is possible to resolve them with hard work and attention to detail.

You are more likley to find their droppings around their exit routes back tot he primary food source, especially if they have to pass through a crack.

Hope that helps and please share as much detail as you can about numbers and evidence as it will help us to give the most suitable advice.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely not the common bed bug and does look like a bird bug or swallow bug - this is the posted one, one from a site that IDs it as the swallow bug. Pale coloration, very heavy hairiness (hirsute. very many pale setae), antennal components (antennomeres) not like the common bed bug antennae. But you should collect the bugs you find and upload pictures of them. I'd be happy to get the bugs from you to take a better look.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:48:55
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, I knew would attract you into this one Lou, I am hoping that we get some good data if the glimpse of the image is anything to go by.

David

5. bugginkiddinme

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 9:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I found two fecal matters early this morning. It does give me a better idea where they are headed but no idea how it got on my bed. I suspect it is my dog because he sometimes sleeps underneath the bed and then jumps on the bed. He itches like crazy as well. Very frustrating since I was starting to feel in control.

As soon as I find one again (the one who left me the droppings) I will post it. The droppings remind me of coal you get for Christmas. It looks solid then you touch it and it smears easily.

Thanks for your replies. It is great to read other peoples stories and know you are not alone. Eases some of the embarrassment and shame I carry with me.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I am hoping that we get some good data if the glimpse of the image is anything to go by.

this is image of Oeciacus vicarius and it is the one posted here. The one she collected was tossed. I had to read the post a few times to make sure.
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/252641

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 10:07:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Huge social stigma spoiler here:

Its not people that bring martin bugs and bat bugs into their homes, its the primary host. As such it has little or nothing to do with the occupants other than you being an alternative food source.

So technically your house guests have unwanted house guests as well and as such resolution is less about your dog on the bed and more about the birds/bats and their bugs in your walls and roof space.

Hope that helps.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo