Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

SURVEY bb bites PLEASE HELP ME GATHER INFO regarding your experience

(40 posts)
  1. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 25 2007 9:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been searching for information regarding BB bites. Its so scattered all over the internet. I thought it might be useful for new "victims" as well as old "victims" to share their BITE experiences:

I'd like to try to gather information and put it in a useful format for future seekers. If you could take a quick moment to answer the below questions.

Also does anyone know how many times a BB bites in one night. I know there is the breakfast, lunch and dinner (that makes three) but do they bite more then just three times?

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear?

How many BB bites did you receive?

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row?

How long did your itching last?

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin?

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.?

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease?

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear?

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness?

Any other info you care to share that I neglected to ask would be great. I will answer the questions on a separate post. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

2. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 25 2007 10:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

YOU CAN USE YOUR MOUSE TO COPY AND PASTE THE QUESTIONS FOR EASE OF ANSWERING. OR JUST POST A PARAGRAPH

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? 4 days

How many BB bites did you receive? total of 11

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? two sets of 3 in a row

How long did your itching last? the itching was very intense for about 21 days 24/7. It started being less intense after that. I am now on day 38. The itching comes and goes. But usually is worse at night, not terrible, just annoying.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? day 38 and some are still a little raise. Tiny bumps. No welts.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? First day I noticed them they were little bumps. When I woke up the next morning they were huge red angry welts. They were welt-like for about 10 days then started decreasing in size. You could see a small pin size like mark in the middle of each bite. Some a little larger then others. I did nto scratch so they did not get infected. A couple had a pin sized mark that looked like it was a little infected.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. Itching was very intense 24/7. After about 15 days maybe 17 I started feeling a little burning / stabbing like pain / clothing made it itch worse because of the contact scratching like effect.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? I have only received the one time 11 bites (so far).

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? Day 35, some of my bites are still a little raised. The ones that are flat look similar to a burn mark.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? an ice pack and antibiotic/mixed with oragel. Also campho-phenique helped somewhat. Ice pack provided the best relief.

3. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2007 7:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to mention, husband did not get any bites that we could see. He has a lot of freckles so unless it itches or is really raise its difficult to see bites.

4. buggedinbrooklyn

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2007 9:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

hi kitty,

QUESTIONs FOR SURVEY:

not sure what you mean...but it took about 3 months from when my infested sister came to the house with live bugs, before I understood I had bedbugs.

at the time, I did not live here in my father's house full time. so, after weeks of not sleeping here, I woke up on the first night with as much as 40 bites on my right arm.
    after that, I was bit at least 1 time per night for the first month, 1 time per week the 2nd month, and the 3rd month I might get a bite or two each week, or I might not get anything in as long as 10 days stright.
    after 4 months, I had almost no new bites. the 5th month was bite free.
    I'm now on the 7th month, still bite free.

maybe only once.
    most of my bites were single.

each bite could itch as long as 4 weeks.

all bites were puffy at least 1 day.
    most a week.
    some a month.
    almost all were scratched to the point of bleeding and scarring.

red welts with no dots.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain.
    you go ahead and tear off half your arms and legs from the itching and not have any pain.

lol, no.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear?
    some of the scarring on my right arm is 6 to 7 months old.
    they are clearly visable, small red dots of half healed skin.

killing the MFers.
    other then that, nothing helped me.

I hope this helps in some small way.

the real,
    buggedinbrooklyn

5. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2007 18:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? *** within ten minutes

How many BB bites did you receive? *** about 50

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? *** usually one at a time--sometimes two

How long did your itching last? ***up to 10 days--14 days

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? ***a few days to a week

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? *** Pink piple-sized, with a small brown scab in center

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. " *** Some minor systemic ulticaria as in itching all over and feeling like I was being bitten constantly this went on for almost 3 weeks

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? ***after about 10-14 days 75% OF THE "extra itching" faded to "nearly nothing" BUT ANNOYING EXTRA SKIN SENSITIVITIES PERSIST SOMWEHAT.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? ***there are some very small raised areas not discolored that i think are form bed bug bites

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? ***

--1/2 triple anti- bioptic mixed with 1/2 Lidocain or Benzocain all OTC meds for sunburn and cuts and preventqative--infection creams
    try not to itch them!!! a good cure all in itself!
    --also ice cubes for five minutes helped

--LONG tepid soaks in the tub WITH PLAIN WATER.

Good luck with all of this! You'll need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2007 21:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

calio,
    we have some FAQs about this.
    i have written about this a lot so i've already answered most of the questions.
    but my best advice is NOT to itch. no matter how much it takes, don't give in. itching makes it so much worse. when i was able to STOP itching, cold turkey, the bites got smaller and less noticeable, they went away faster, the itching got less bothersome, and new bites did not seem to scar as old ones did.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2007 8:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NBOM:

I have read the FAQ several times and just went back again. I didn't see the questions above in one general area. A few here and there throughout the entire FAQ. Maybe I am not looking in the right place? I didn't see any FAQ addressing bites. As I am still new to this site and finding new information each day I know I could have overlooked it. I thought having this in one area might be helpful to people trying to identify bites. This site has been very informative, very helpful and I appreciate all the hard work and dedication you have put into it.

Thanks buggedinbrooklyn for your response

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2007 10:19:53
    #

Login to Send PM

calio,
    My error, sorry.
    I have written on this hundreds of times, but not in a FAQ.
    Anyway, I will work on answering your questions as a FAQ.

9. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2007 13:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2007 2:24:47
    #

Login to Send PM

bump: Willow's post was caught in spam filter. Scroll up.

11. oncebitten2wiceshy

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2007 12:16:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Tea tree oil is a natural oil that is beneficial to treating skin irritations. People use it to treat acne, dermatitis and it is also used to treat head lice. I squirt a dropperful in the bath at night. It smells awful at first but if you put a small amount of body wash or bubble bath in as well, the smell fades rather fast. It is a natural bug repellent as well. We have been using it to treat bites and it really seems to soothe the irritated area. You can also apply it directly to the skin (I do it with a Q-tip), or mix it with your body wash or shampoo (2-5 drops).

12. scratchy

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 14:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? SAW THME BEFORE I GOT BIT

How many BB bites did you receive? 50-75

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? THE FIRST ROUND OF BITES WERE GROUPED TOGETHER. SOMER WERE IN TWOS OTHERS WERE CLUSTERED.

How long did your itching last?A COUPLE OF WEEKS

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? 7 WEEKS LATER SOME OF THEM STILL GET ENFLAMED WHEN I SWEAT.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? SOME WERE HUGE WELTS OTHERS WERE TINY RED MARKS

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. I BROKE MY SKIN ITCHING QUITE A FEW OF THEM

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease?I CAN'T TELL IF I AM STILL BEING BITTEN BECAUSE MY SKIN IS HAVING WEIRD REACTIONS TO THE HEAT

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? MY MORE SEVERE BITES, THE ONES THAT BECAME WELTS, HAVE SCARRED.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? NEOSPORIN

I HAVE AN ADDITIONAL QUESTION

HAS ANYONE BEEN BIT UNDER THEIR CLOTHES? I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF MY SKIN IN REACTED TO BUGS OR JUST PLAIN OLD SWEATING WHILE WEARING SNUG CLOTHES

13. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 16:32:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Scratchy:

I was bit under my clothes. I beleive they were in a top that I put on and most likely wore to bed. I had ll close bites. I had the majority of my arms exposed and legs. My bites were on my abdomen. Mine also itch worse when I sweat or get hot. You can clearly see all bites. Most of they still have a bump (not flat). It has been approximately 8 weeks now. They only itch occasionally but still look bad. Hope this helps.

14. bugginout

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2007 11:11:41
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? I don't know - I'm not sure how I got them. If it was from a thrift store, then 2 days?

How many BB bites did you receive? 3 first night with 1 welt, the following 3-4 were the night after next, with one being a major welt.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? Yes, I guess I did.

How long did your itching last? 2-3 days on the first welt, smaller bites don't itch. The last welt was received just yesterday or so and it's still inflamed and itching.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? 2-3 days for the first welt, as it went down, the itching went down. They are all kind of slightly upraised for a week.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc)? Some are red like mosquito bites, some are red welts with a harder, redder center with a little divet in the center of them (tiny) as if a pin-prick was still present.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. Nope

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? Only 1 week into it.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? Uh, scarring? I hope not. They're not healed.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? I am pretty good at not scratching itches so other than it rubbing on my jeans when I walk it hasn't really been an issue.

15. tlmedlin5

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Oct 17 2007 22:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

How many BB bites did you receive? i would say about 50-75

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? yes in some places on my hands/ wrists, but more sparingly up my arm and legs

How long did your itching last? as of now it has been the worst for about 3 days (1 week after exposure in hotel)

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? raised now for 3 days

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? some are red welts and bigger others are smaller, more grouped together red dotted

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. i've been getting headaches..could be unrelated of just stressed out from all this bedbug mess....disgusting and ruining my life!

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? It's weird. I stayed in a hotel a week ago, and my bites/itching became noticeable 2 days ago-started on my hand at first and then spread all over my body. As of now my itching/pain has been increasing.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? my bites are still fresh and red/weltlike

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? cortisone

Any other info you care to share that I neglected to ask would be great. I will answer the questions on a separate post. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

seems like my bites took long to be noticed..i didn't know how common this was to be exposed to them in an isolated location and bites unnoticed for a while..im confused and also worried that maybe i took some of these things home with me! heaven forbid!

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Oct 17 2007 22:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

scratchy--you CAN be bitten under clothing. Many people if not most are.

17. Margaret

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Oct 22 2007 6:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

They appear during the next morning--most by noon, some not till late afternoon.

After being away from home for about 10 days, I got 17 on one arm, 12 on the other arm, 8 on my face, 5-10 on each leg, and a few on my neck, back, shoulder.

Sometimes there were strings of 4-5, sometimes clusters (esp on my elbows) of 10-ish bites, and some individual bites.

From my first spell, the itching overall lasts about 2 weeks. The first 48 hours is enough to drive me crazy, but after that they itch--sometimes intensely--on and off.

They were raised for about a week--see next question.

The smallest bites look like pimples with a blister on top (on my face, neck, and hands). The biggest ones, which appear on my legs and arms, form blisters that are about 1-2 cm in diameter, and the blister sticks up almost 1 cm. The liquid is clear, just body fluid, and gradually turns yellow over the next few days. They are truly gross. I think it's better to drain the blister under controlled circumstances than to let them burst when something hits them, or when my pant leg rubs them.

The blisters sting and itch at the same time. The first day of this most recent outbreak, my throat felt tight, probably from the allergens.

The first few weeks (when I thought it was a lotion/shampoo allergy) the reaction was not so bad, but with each new outbreak, the bumps and blisters are more severe. That--along with the throat tightening--is really worrying.

So far my bites from 4-6 weeks ago have left reddish-brown traces. They'll probably take some time to disappear, esp from the big blisters.

I haven't found a good remedy yet. The Dr in the US prescribed a steriod cream, but I can't say for sure that it helps. Once I got back to Russia 5 days ago, where the bed-bugged apt is, a Russian Dr gave me a shot of 10% Calcii gluconatis solution. Goodness knows what that is, but it didn't seem to have any immediate effect. She also prescribed Claritin (which I bought, though Russian pharmacy medicine, even prescriptions, often tend to be some kind of non-effective sugar pill) and told me to buy an over-the-counter Finistil gel. The latter I didn't do--just used the American steroid cream.
    Cold helps more than hot: hot showers, banyas and saunas make the itching worse, while cool showers are not so bad (though rubbing the soap on, etc, of course makes you itch just by contact).

18. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Oct 22 2007 9:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

I never seen myself get bit, so don't know for sure. I think hours after the bite, sometimes the next evening even

Over 200 easy

Some yes, but few. Most were single

Some bites when I was getting ALOT of bites would last over 2wks. Then as the bites got less excessive the bites would last only a few hours and then disappear

Same as above question.

Some large like small mosquito bites, some much small. They all looked different actually.

The emotional, physcological devistation of putting your children to sleep every night knowing they will be attacked in their sleep is enought to put you away. The $$, time and items lost in trying to rid these bugs has been catastrphic.

The actual bite itching yes, the less bites, the less they itched. But because the bites wouldn't stop the pain got worse.

Yes I have scarrs. It's been 6 months and I still have some scars

NOthing helped.

19. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 8:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? Not sure, but I think about 2 or three hours after the bite.

How many BB bites did you receive? In total, maybe 20, unsure, as my bites do not swell up. If there are some on my back I would not know.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? Yes, usually, except for the very first one that I noticed.

How long did your itching last? Almost no itching at all. Just slightly, and then when I look there are 1,2, or 3 red pinpricks on the skin, usually on the inner arm.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? No swelling or raising at all, just the very distinct red pin pricks.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? Small pin pricks, they are red.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. No

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? n/a

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? No scarring

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? At first with the slight itchiness, and and being warned by friends as not to scratch, I used tea tree oil. One of my friends with many bites, uses tea tree oil, and it does wonders to stop the itch.

20. kraystone

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 17:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I never caught them until recently, within an hour after they bit me.

23 over 2 months.

Nope, most were 2 bites in a row or just one bite.

Old ones from a month ago still itch occasionally.

Oh, pretty long for me because I have allergic reaction. I say about a week then becoming a small red lump.

Initially they swell and turn red, then bigger and bigger over the days. On the 4th day, it'll reduce and become a small red lump/blister (if I scratched it).

Yes, while it swells, there is this slight constant pain...

No, so I went to see a dermatologist and got some cream and antibiotics. Recently it is getting better.

Yes, the old ones develop in blisters. The new ones are like pimples if I don't scratch it. 2 months and still there

I have very cold feet and hands since it is approaching winter. So they are not that itchy during the day but when I'm warm in blanket, they itch like mad. I used to apply Mopiko cream but since my dermatologist gave me some Pandel antiseptic cream samples, I'd been using it since. Sometimes the itch is unbearable so I scratch the surrounding skin... try not to think about it... ...

21. NeverSleeps

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 20:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

-the bites didnt start appearing until about a week ago, but I think I might have found a BB on me before that (unconfirmed, and was dead in the trash weeks ago)maybe not, sort of looked like one, sort of didn't (possible case of denial might I add)

-Right now I'm pretty much covered. the worst places were my left shoulder and breast, which seemed to get about 25 bites in one night. they are starting to appear on my leg and stomach (doctor confirmed these are no scabies)

-sort of... I got four that kind of point in a line, but none of the actual circle looking things.

-ongoing

-raised in white mounds surrounded in red skin for about a day, now they are little raised red spots

-to begin - small maybe 3mm round white mounds surrounded in red with a hole type thing in the middle, -later, like little red blobs with a darker hole in the centre

-no not really. but CRAZY ITCHING

-seems to have on my older bites, but if i irritate them they still itch sometimes.

-don't know yet

-nothing so far, my doctor prescribed me some cream, and it helps short term

22. NeverSleeps

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 20:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

-they didn't start appearing until about a week ago, but I think I might have found on on me before that (unconfirmed, and was dead in the trash weeks ago)

-Right now I'm pretty much covered. the worst places were my left shoulder and breast, which seemed to get about 25 bites in one night. they are starting to appear on my leg and stomach (doctor confirmed these are no scabies)

-sort of... I got four that kind of point in a line, but none of the actual circle looking things.

-ongoing

-raised in white mounds surrounded in red skin for about a day, now they are little raised red spots

-to begin - small maybe 3mm round white mounds surrounded in red with a hole type thing in the middle, -later, like little red blobs with a darker hole in the centre

-no not really. but CRAZY ITCHING

-seems to have on my older bites, but if i irritate them they still itch sometimes.

-don't know yet

-nothing so far, my doctor prescribed me some cream, and it helps short term

23. NeverSleeps

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 20:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

and for the bites to actually appear it sometimes takes until the middle of the day, or mid-late evening, then they look white with red surrounding (like a smaller misquito bite)... which is odd as i wont even be near my bed when i find a new bite, suspicious.

24. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2007 22:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

That's normal, NeverSleeps. There is a delay between the actual bite of a bedbug and the manifestation (the onset of itchiness or appearance of a bump or swelling) that can sometimes be measured in days and not just hours.

25. NeverSleeps

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 1:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

your not helping with my denial stage... haha

26. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 8:17:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Oncebitten mentioned tea tree oil a while back. Try it, at the first sign of the bite, and then daily apply a small amount. It can work wonders for some people. It can prevent itching, and also heals the inflammation.

27. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2007 10:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? Three months after my wife's showed up.

How many BB bites did you receive? Hard to tell because of my reactions or lack of. My bites started to show after PCO sprayed.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? In some spots. Rash like no bump or pinprick an the rash like ones. Two in a row small red pinpricks.

How long did your itching last? Never really itched much except for the top of my head.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? More like a rash that would come and go as the day went on.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? Rash, not raised. Some small pinprick spots.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. No, except for a slight pain at bottom of my right eye on the sensitive area where a woman may apply eye liner.

Small red pinpricks still visible for almost a year now and still rash showing again. This summer a slight suntan made the rash disappear.

Crazy shit!

28. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 19:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? NOT SURE

How many BB bites did you receive? 100'S

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? NO

How long did your itching last? WEEKS 3+

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? DAYS OF RED BLISTER LIKE BITES, POPED BLISTERS ICHED FOR 14 DAYS +

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? RED BLISTERS OOZING CLEAR LIQUID

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. ITCHED LIKE HELL AT NIGHT AND EARLY AM

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? NOPE

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? SCARRING AFTER 4 MO.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? NONE FOUND

29. currentinsomniac

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 18 2007 18:11:50
    #

Login to Send PM

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? not completely sure. I think mine were pretty quick to show...latest being 2 hours later. My husband would also wake up in the morning and bites would be visible. So I assume his appeared quickly also.

How many BB bites did you receive? husband - at least 9 large ones that will scar and many little ones; me - most of mine have been small, but it's hard to remember where and see new ones (I have lots of freckles where they bite). But I've probably had at least into the 20's.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? I had one set that were the classic 3 in a row....most others, not. My hubby had two in a row at most.

How long did your itching last? husband - a few days, or only a short time (while in shower if they were the smaller bites). I can only remember a few that seemed to itch...depending on the area...ones on my neck and around my knee. Others itched just a few hours.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? If mine were raised, it was only for a few days. My husband's larger ones are still raised after 2 weeks.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? All of our bites are red. My husband has 5 that look like welts. Mine mostly look like pimples.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. No other pain with either of us.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? n/a? Been bitten for a few weeks but we've never really itched too bad to begin with.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? I don't anticipate scars with me, but my husband's welt ones will definitely scar. His first and largest one from 3+ weeks ago has now turned pink but is still raised and looks like it will leave a scar behind.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? used some hydro cortisone cream on my son, but we just ignore it because it's not too bad.

30. bugobsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 18 2007 20:43:49
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? a couple of hours. I walk to work, and I usually would notice them itching when I was halfway there, approx. 1.5 hours after I got up in the morning.

How many BB bites did you receive? probably about 50

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? a few times, but not usually

How long did your itching last? a day or two

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? about 2 or 3 days for the small ones, almost a week for the big ones

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? mostly I got bit on my hands and the bites were small red bumps like little pimples or warts, but with a small hole in the top. On my legs or my stomach I only got bit a few times, and those looked like small red mosquito bites, maybe 1 cm in diameter.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. No pain, at least not physically.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? Is two months an extended period of time? If so, then no, the itching didn't decrease, but the bites have.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? No scarring.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? I have a cream from a Chinese herbalist. Don't know what it's called. My husband got it for a rash he had last year. It's really great. It's cooling and has a peppermint smell, it makes the itching stop immediately. The tube is red and white with either 666 or 999 on it (not sure which way is up cause of the Chinese characters!)

31. cosbear

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 8:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey All:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? A few hours to overnight.

How many BB bites did you receive? When I first found out I had bbs I couldn't have counted the ones on my legs. I thought I had some horrible rash.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? Yes sometimes that was clear

How long did your itching last? That has varied. Most usually 1 or 2 days

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? Also varied, 1 to 3 days

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? varied, red circles, or welts, or red bumps, or raised highly compressed blisters with clear liquid in them. The blisters would usually turn into thick scabs after opening, which could last a week or longer.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. Yes but mostly associated with scratching them. I found that a little spit with gentle rubbing with the fingertip to kind of massage it in worked the best for me for itch relief without further damage. The other thing is the bites often make it feel like something is crawling on you there which drives me crazy.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? No the skin reactions got worse. After going for few months without bites when the bbs came back my reactions were much worse than the initial infestation. Never had the blistering until then. Kind of like my immune system got more sensitive to the bites after a period of no bites.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? Yes not sure how long they took to go completely away but would guess it was months.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? Gentle massaging in a little spit with the pad of the forefinger. No relief for the feeling of bugs crawling where there weren't any.

In the initial infestation when the bugs were the worst. Being two men in the apartment neither of us changed our sheets often enough. So they were pretty bad in both of our beds before we realized what was happening. Once we found out I was amazed that my room mate showed no reaction to the bites whatsoever. I know he was getting bitten there were more bugs in his bed than mine by far. I had a hard time getting him to help with a solution because of that. I was doing all the work and getting more and more pissed about until we had a big blow out over it. He is my best friend and it was the first time we ever had an argument let alone a fight, we got so loud I'm surprised the neighbor didn't call the cops. Finally I blew up at him and told he was going to get with the program or get the F out. He accused me of being obsessive/compulsive; duh!!! I told him he was terribly selfish to let me do all the work just because his bites didn't bother him. I was so mad I came very close to punching him and had to leave the apartment for several hours until I calmed down some. In my defense I was seriously close to a full on emotional breakdown. I have never hit anyone except in self-defense. It goes completely against the grain for me. After that he got with the program and started pulling his own weight and apologized for being so insensitive. I think he thought I would really kick him out and he was f'n right. He still has never had any reaction to bites; although he does have bedbug nightmares. I've never had nightmares, but plenty of sleepless or short sleep nights.

Hope this helps, looking forward to your post. Later... cos

32. aye

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 9:05:00
    #

Login to Send PM

only about 1/2 to 1 hour after being bitten the red lumps would appear. on the morning when I found the bugs themselves, I caught them probably only minutes after they bit my upper arm, and the bites were already itching.

How many BB bites did you receive? started out with one or two every few days, multiplied to maybe 110 or 12 each night, this was over a period of about 6-8 weeks

only a few were the triad, most were single bites running in a line

my reactions were severe, the itching lasted for at least a week for each bite

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? about a week

giant red welts, sometimes with a small white center

my bank account experienced some pain, what with the new furniture and the laundry and the ziplocs and (surprisingly expensive) double-stick tape. and my work is suffering, from lack of sleep and days at the office spent looking for bedbug news and commiserating online.

nope. it got worse until I stopped getting bit altogether, then all the itching went away.

most of the larger ones scarred, but I scar easily.

claritin helped make the swelling go down quicker and caladryl clear did a bit to stop the surface itching.

33. nycbbs

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 9:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? immediately to 4 hours after being bitten

How many BB bites did you receive? the first time was a grouping of about 5 on my neck. Every night since then (It has been 3 months!) my husband and I have each gotten 3-20 bites per night

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? Sometimes. Occasionally they are only single bites. Sometimes in larger groupings: largest grouping was about 15 small bites all on the front of my neck!

How long did your itching last? 1-2 days

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? Mine are very rarely raised. My husband's immediately have welts that last for 12 hours or more.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? Mine: pink, flat, irregularly shaped. Husband: pink, raised welts with clear centers.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. If awake, we both feel an immediate "sting" or "prick." Then the itching begins.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? Mine definitely has decreased. The first bite incident was miserable! Now it is just annoying (and disgusting). My husband's has not decreased over time.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? No (thank god!)

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? Benadryl gel.

34. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 14:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

not sure, I think several hours. One began to itch a little on Saturday evening, when clearly I had been bitten Friday night. The other was evident when I woke up.

Only twice as far as I can tell.

Yes, both times it was three bites on my stomach.

super itchy for 1-2 days, then no itching as long as I didn't scratch it. It is possible I no longer react as I have had no bites in over 2 weeks with no PCO treatment.

several days

Exactly like mosquito bites.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites?
    Does mental anguish count?

As mentioned, I may have stopped reacting.

No but the redness did not fade for 2-3 weeks.

Tiger Balm, which I bought in Asia, not sure if you can buy it here. I also was taking benadryl every night with a glass of wine or two to help me sleep. I know, bad idea, do not try this at home!

35. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Dec 13 2007 17:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? my neighbor (in a building) was sprayed for them, and a week later i had my first bite. it showed up right away (i think) at 5:30 am.

How many BB bites did you receive? if i count the small ones, i'm just under 20 right now.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? most places only one. a few places two in a row, and in one spot a triangle of three.

How long did your itching last? my first one still itches almost three weeks later. some hardly itch at all, and some itch constantly.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? for the big welt ones, the swelling went down after about two-three hours. the little ones weren't as raised, but would stay reddish and itchy for a few days usually. if i don't itch at all, they will go away faster.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.?) four of them were whitish welts with surrounding red. the remaining ones are tiny pin prick scab spots that are reddish around them. sometimes i will have a red rash on my arm, and upon looking closer there will be a bite there that i hadn't noticed before.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. the bigger bites were more like a stinging itch, it was weird. other than that? i sometimes get an itchy burning sensation on areas of my skin that are exposed to the dragnet residue, if that counts.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? it's only three weeks so far, so i can't really say. i'm still itchy all the time.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? i don't know yet.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? cleaning more! haha. i have a little spray bottle that has rubbing alcohol and tea trea in it. sometimes i spritz that on the cuff of my pants/shoes/table top where i work for a little peace of mind. no idea if it works, but the ritual somehow makes me feel better...

36. fallacious_8686

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 5:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? Me and my boyfriend moved into our apartment june 1 2010 and about a week later I was waking up with bites all over my body. But he wasn't getting bit. About a week after that I actually caught a bug.

How many BB bites did you receive? about 20 - 40 bites every few days. I would definatley wake up every day with new bites

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? I got so many bites

How long did your itching last? Honestly....after i scratched until i was raw... I even have some spots that look gross becasue i scratched until it was raw.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? Hard to say I was getting so many new bites that I am just really really itchy all the time.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? On me they look like red spots, they would raise just a little bit but not like a misquito bite smaller then that.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. Not unless i scratched until i was raw.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? no

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? I have some scarring from the first few bites i got. They are purplish kinda like a bruise makes me look like i'm a crack addict or something

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? I was told Calamine lotion, (i haven't tried it because i'm scared to leave my aparment in fear of infesting other apartments) another solution my friend said was using a bounce and rubbing your body with one and the bb don't like the smell of the bounce..

***I know that bb are highly attraacted to pheremones and carbon dioxiode and the bites may effect other people worse then some people.

37. MadinMidAtlantic

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 25 2011 9:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? No idea when I was bit so no idea how long. Speculation: when bit at night usually they appear within 2 or three hours of being awake and get bigger for the next 2 hours. Sometimes I swear that I'll get bit just walking around my apt or when I'm exercising.

How many BB bites did you receive? Not many. Here's an example (keep in mind that I react a lot to all bites so these may not all be bb bites):
    This latest round of bb (maybe--still in detection phase) seems typical of my experience with BBs.
    I got a bite on my chest that was small and not very itchy. A week later I got two enormous bites on my right elbow. A night later I got one on my right leg--really bad. The next night or day one on my right knee which is really bad and at the same time one on my right wrist which is really bad.
    Come to think of it--they only ever bite my right side...weird since I tend to move around a lot or sleep on my back.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? Only once or twice, though the first bb infestation my BF always got the classic BLD pattern (lucky for him though he doesn't react strongly).

How long did your itching last? Intense--like insanity defense levels of itchiness for the first 2 or three days. Then persistent itching for a week or two. Then itching for 1-2 months later, but only if irritated.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? About 3 to 4 weeks.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.)? Depends. Sometimes they seem like small eraser-sized red dots. Sometimes though they are huge raised red welts the size of a half dollar Kennedy coin. This time around they are quarte-sized whitish welts with a lot of redness around them.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. Just from the scratching--especially in my sleep. I also got cellulitis (skin infection) on my elbow which swelled to twice its size (yuck).

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? Nope. Right from the start some bites weren't bad and others would turn into giant swollen welts.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? My ass is scarred up...seriously. I scratched so much and broke the skin, now my bum has 4 or 5 dark scars. It has been two months and they are fading, but very slowly. I have one on my arm (one of the first) it's visible but not very--looks more like a small bruise.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? NOT SCRATCHING or touching them at all. Also, for very swollen and new bites an ice pack covered in a towel helps a lot--but on older bites it just seems to perpetuate the itch and irritation.
    Other things that didn't work: I've tried calamine lotion, topical analgesic (diphenydramine 2%), topical cortisone, baking soda paste--nothing worked.

38. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2011 20:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Since I'm pretty sure I know where I picked them up, my reactions were 1 to 3 weeks delayed. I stayed somewhere for two weeks and the bites started to appear a week after I returned home. The only reputable study I could find is 18 days delayed, but I think it's quite possible mine were delayed a little longer. To note, I itched intensely for 3 or 4 days before the bites even started to appear. - I don't even know if I am getting bit anymore. I've been monitoring for more than three weeks and nothing in the ClimbUps, but I'm still reacting. This could all be delayed...

I haven't kept track, but I think I have had at least 20 bites over the last 3 months. I don't know for certain how many bites per night since I am pretty sure mine were so delayed, I have no idea how long it took for some delayed reactions to occur.

Not three in a row. I had many that were just two bites in a row. I thought the first one I saw was a spider bite. I have also had many that were triangles. I have had just a few single bites. - This interests me because I've read the pattern can depend on how you lay or it could be because they are easily disturbed by movement or that multiples feed side by side in the fold of a blanket or sheet. I would love to know the true reason behind the patterns.

For most of the bites, the initial itching lasted a week or so. However, I have some that seem to have faded, but suddenly reappear and itch again.

Not all of mine were raised. The few that were raised seemed to be raised for 1 to 2 weeks.

Most of mine are pimple-like, which is lucky for me since I am acne-prone and am pretty sure they have bit my face since acne doesn't normally itch. However, they seem to be different on different areas of my body. They are small, red dots on my stomach, but are raised on my back. The few on my legs look like mosquito bites.

I'm still trying to figure out if I have an ultra-sensitive reaction or if I have another medical condition. I seem to experience episodes where I feel tingling in different areas of my body, even areas without bites. At the same time the bites seem to be more itchy (new ones and old ones). I feel like I have a sunburn (or as one person posted in a different thread, she felt like she had shards of glass in her skin and was looking for stingers - I have had this exact feeling) and occasionally I have random stabbing pain in areas that don't necessarily have bites. This occurs on and off for 4 or 5 days and then goes away. I don't get it. I am actually going to ask my doctor about this tomorrow. It doesn't sound like it would be related to the bites, but the bites do itch more during these episodes and this started happening the same time I started to get bites.

I did seem to be more itchy in the very beginning, but after the first couple of weeks it has not changed.

Just on the larger bites, which were on my back. It just looks like faded spots.

Benadryl topical gel.

I have had some small bruises that I'm still trying to determine are bites.

39. UnheardBanshee

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 31 2011 23:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

well i got bitten pretty badly awhile ago but ive had them for almost a year now. so ill answer all the questions for the first occurrence (which was pretty extreme) and what ive been experiencing since then (which is more...typical...maybe).

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR BB TO appear? well i got bitten the first time at a boyfriends house. i noticed in the morning that i had bites. since then its been kind of a continuous kind of thing so im not sure how long it took for me to react to the bites.

How many BB bites did you receive? hundreds. im pretty sure that means his place was <i> infested</i> and that that's where i got them from. at my place ive gotten as few as 1 or not even gotten bitten some nights and other nights ive gotten as many as 20.

Did you receive the classic 3 bites in a row? i had so many the first time i couldnt tell. since then ive had some that were in a row and some that were clusters and some that were random and individual.

How long did your itching last? forevvvverrrrr!! about 3-4 weeks.

How long were the bb bites raised on the skin? at least a week every time.

What did you bb Bites look like (welts/white/red/etc.? when they're fresh, they look like welts about the size of a quarter on me. they get bright red and are warm to the touch. they're raised and almost feel like they have something solid in them. after the swelling starts to go down, they're still bright red and raised but look more like chickenpox. even longer after that and they look like a rash or like acne.

Did you experience any pain (other then itching) associated with the BB bites? If so explain. well i have an allergic reaction to the bites and the more i get bitten the worse the reaction is. they itch so bad they hurt. they burn and sting alot. the first time i was bitten, when i got hundreds of bites, my skin literally started falling off. several of them turned into blisters. my skin tore open and bled. at my place ive not got bitten nearly as bad. they still hurt. they burn and sting. sometimes they feel like bruises.

If bitten over an extended period of time did you're itching / pain decrease? no its been about the same if not worse.

Did you experience any scarring from the BB bites? If so what did they look like? How long did the scarring take to disappear? i scar easily. ive only got scars from the ones i inadvertently scratched open or that turned into blisters. they look like pock marks. they're pretty faint to begin with.

What was the best remedy you found helpful for the itchiness? steroids, topical foam, and prescription antihistamines. for minor itching ice helped a little. while sleeping i had to put bandaids (which im also allergic too) over the bites so i couldnt scratch them open. leaving bandaids on them for several days helps some since you cant scratch them and you dont have anything rubbing them. since i have such a sever reaction, ive had to have 4 steroid treatments and recently was prescribed the topical foam and antihistamines for it. for the time i was so badly bitten i had to use this chigger stuff. i think it was called chigger-rid. you apply it with a wand thing and it makes a seal on your skin. it made me unable to scratch but didnt stop the itching. none of it made the itching stop just made it less.

40. AbbeyRoad0982

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2011 15:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION FOR SURVEY:

I saw my first bug approximately a month after the first bite, which I thought was from a mosquito. So far as I can tell, my bites sometimes appear quickly (within an hour) or take up to 12 hours to show up and itch.

The ones I specifically remember? 73 in the course of about a month. More, probably.

Any where from one during the night to 15 during the worst night. Most nights had an average of 2 - 6

I had individual bites 1/3 of the time, 2 bites together 1/3 of the time, and 3 bites in the traditional pattern 1/3 of of the time.

If I didn't scratch, a day to a day and a half -- sometimes I couldn't get at them.
    If I did scratch, add about a day.

If I didn't scratch, they wouldn't. If I did, they'd be raised for a day - day and a half.

Started with a red spot -- not circular, but an inflamed area. If irritated, raised into sometimes red, sometimes not so red, asymetrical raised areas with the spot of the bite becoming visible then. After anywhere from a day to a day and a half, they would not be raised anymore, and look like bruises. Somtimes there was a small bump where the actual bite happened, sometimes there wasn't.

No.

When I started getting more bites at a time, the itching was worse, or else it seemed so -- and it seemed that even if I didn't scratch, bites took longer to stop itching and look inflamed.

Yes. They have faded to look like bruises. Almost all of the spots, even ones that weren't scratched, are still visible approximately two months later. (I'm kinda pale.)

Making mixture of baking soda and water, applying it directly to my skin, and holding that in place with a bandage over it.

Benadryl lotion worked well for the ones on my face, but nowhere else.

Ice would work temporarily.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,768 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah