Surprising Tips/Techniques That Supplemented My Treatment Efforts

(3 posts)
  1. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 13:16:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: I used a PCO, casements, interceptors, decluttering, cleaning and bagging all fabrics as part of my strategy. These are some tips on what I used to support the main anti-bed bug strategies.

Paper shades from home improvement stores. They cost $10-$20/per and come with a removable adhesive strip so they can attach to the top of the window frame. They have been easier for me to inspect, less likely to hide bugs and are easily replaceable if they do become a problem.

Large, hard plastic laundry baskets. Apparently the exterior is textured enough for bed bugs to climb yet smooth enough on the inside to keep them trapped. It works for me as a large, low-cost passive monitor. I take any bugs out of the basket before killing them. Have heard that bedbugs release a warning pheromone when they are killed. (Am not an expert.)

For items that I had to clean that couldn’t fit in a washing machine (like an Army MOLLE rucksack), I used a pressure wash at a do-it-yourself car wash. Putting running shoes and men’s dress shoes in a dryer on high heat destroyed them.

Leaving my car parked in the sun for two weeks did little. Vacuuming it vigorously (1 hour +) two days in a row was more effective. Leaving shoes in a sealed plastic bag in a hot car over multiple days? Didn’t work. I've ordered Nuvan strips to treat shoes. I only found 2 bed bugs in my car (cloth interior). Regular vacuuming took care of them and I haven't seen any for several weeks.

When vacuuming, the bedbugs were never in the obvious locations (like inside a drawer or on a shelf) they were always under receipts, behind posters, in the interior grooves of a chest of drawers, etc.

One of the techniques that I stumbled across was to lay in bed with the lights on low and a dresser close to, but not touching the bed, while reading my phone (about bed bugs naturally). Inevitably, one of the bugs would think that it was feeding time, crawl to the top of the dresser and try to make their way to me (the CO2 source). Didn't solve the problem, but it was satisfying to eliminate at least one more bug. (If the sight of bugs skeeves you out, this technique may not be for you.)

Everything that I “creatively” thought of as a do-it-yourself solution had already been covered in the forums. For instance: treating items in a microwave, freezer or oven. (No, no and no.) Everything that I was experiencing psychologically (phantom itching, paranoia, avoiding the apartment, every speck of dust looked like a bed bug, etc.) was real and covered in the forums.

Even though I may not have commented on posts, suggestions that I read from people's success stories online have really helped my efforts.

2. this2shallpass

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 13:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Why "no" to freezing? Also, what did your PCO do to exterminate the bugs? (Heat, chemicals, etc). Just curious!

3. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 14:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This2ShallPass - My PCO used chemicals. Luckily I was scheduled to be out of the area for two weeks while they treated, so it helped to remove the food source (me).

From what I've read (and I'm no expert) freezing is not effective for bedbugs. Most home freezers don't get cold enough and the bugs can go into a hibernation state. I've heard that taking things outdoors for multiple days in the dead of winter *might* be able to work, but that it has to be really cold over several days. High heat for an appropriate duration remains the gold standard for treatment (based on what I've read).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,943 posts in 49,857 topics over 154 months by 21,817 of 22,283 members. Latest: Whiskeygirl, bbquest19, Zee1234