Support for children with bed bugs

(15 posts)
  1. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 15:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Looking for some support here if possible. I am sure there are other families who have children who have went through this process. While this has been extremely hard on my husband and I it has been ever harder on my son. We are in the process of getting family counseling for dealing with traumatic issues. This happened during our summer vacation so some plans unfortunately had to be cancelled (due to financial issues-money needing to go to paying for PCO and health issues with me) Also he normally goes to friends houses to play or we have people over and that has changed. To top it off he is starting school this Monday and is concerned about teasing or how to reply why he was not able to go to houses this summer. We are preparing him and going through our modified get ready in the morning routine to go to school. I know this will end soon but it breaks my heart with his meltdowns. I try to explain that his friends don't hate him they just don't want to catch what he has. I am sure there are others in this city with bed bugs but still hard on him and hard on parents. We have tried to make this as easy for him as possible and I am hopeful for an end in sight. . We had a 9 year old who was relatively easy going go to someone with a lot more meltdowns etc. I would love to tell him it is all over and we can go back to our normal but that is not yet the case. Just looking for some support and/or tips anyone may have. Thank you in advance.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 22:50:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have kids but I hope you get some good responses. Don't forget to look for old posts on this topic. The titles of some threads tagged kids suggest they may help. You can also search in the Search box at top right.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 22:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

as a reply let him say he was out of town with grandparents.... I hate to say tell him to lie but as hard as this is and was on me I can only imagine the mind of a child. I to am fighting these little horrors with 3 granddaughters ages 3, 7 and 10. my oldest brought them to us from her dads. we still let her go to her dads and I make her strip in the laundry room and wash cloths and shoes right then..... and we put her straight in the shower. we don't discuss it a lot with them only to tell them every day no covers on floor. when friends ask them if they can come over we always reply something came up and we will make a play date later. no explanation needed as to why. you can always shower put cloths on from dryer before leaving home lowering your chances of carrying them with you. praying for your son that all works out for his first day back to school. wishing you the best....

4. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2016 23:05:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you sleeplessinShelbyville for the support and the idea. I hate lying as well but at times it has to be done. Nobugsonme I cannot thank you enough (I think I mentioned it about a thousand of times in my postings) for starting this forum and sight. Will start to search for old posts as well. Still new to the forum thing. My brother who is more tech savy as me suggested to look for a forum for bed bugs. I did not think there would be such as thing but I was wrong. This has been a life saver for me. Made me realize there are a world of people out there going through what I am going through. Will start looking for older posts as well. I am lucky my family (while far away) is there for me but although they are there unless you are going through it or went through it, you just don't understand. Most people just think it is just a bug. But there is so much more involved. So again thank you everyone. When I feel a little down or overwhelmed or after a good cry I come here and either post or now I will start reading. This cheers me right up to have a community.

5. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 8:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know the answer and I am in the same boat. I have a five year old and we haven't even told him and this has been going on for nearly a month. I don't want him to be known from kindergarten onward as "the bed bug kid". We don't even use the bb word in our house to prevent him from slipping and telling people by accident. All he knows is to let me know immediately if he sees a bug of any kind indoors, that his clothes need to come straight from the dryer and that every other week he needs to get out of the house with his mom so I can spray for "spiders".

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 9:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Take one for the team.

"My parents suck, they didn't let me do anything this summer, I had to stay at the house."

7. SleeplessinATL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 10:02:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Our 13 Yr olds room was home base for our little friends - which we didn't identify for months - dermatologist treated for something else - never occured to us. Poor thing has scars up and down arms - we also made excuses to friends all summer long - "we are doing a deep clean out" "lots of family time this summer" etc. - I think Big Dummy is right - have him lean on his parents as the reason why he spent a lot of time with family. At the base, I believe, explaining to them that this isn't their fault and that it will get better and fade with time is important. We just (2 weeks ago) moved our daughter back into her room and she slowly is getting more and more comfortable as time goes with no activity or bites for her......Good Luck!!!

8. Distressed in NJ

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 10:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Its ashame that your children and others for that matter, have to suffer through this because better solutions are unavailable.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 18:05:51
    #

Login to Send PM

cannotsleep999 - 18 hours ago  » 
    Thank you sleeplessinShelbyville for the support and the idea. I hate lying as well but at times it has to be done. Nobugsonme I cannot thank you enough (I think I mentioned it about a thousand of times in my postings) for starting this forum and sight. Will start to search for old posts as well. Still new to the forum thing. My brother who is more tech savy as me suggested to look for a forum for bed bugs. I did not think there would be such as thing but I was wrong. This has been a life saver for me. Made me realize there are a world of people out there going through what I am going through.

cannotsleep999,

I am so glad you found us! I started the site because I needed to talk to other people when I had bed bugs too. You'll get through this.

Try to think of other parallels in family life where the kid may not be able to tell others what's going on, may not have money do do everything they want, or may not be able to do sleepovers at your house for a bit. This problem is temporary and will go away. But not being able to do all those things is something that might happen to others at other times for other reasons.

As for what to tell others, some people try to avoid telling others about bed bugs, due to the stigma. That may be the right approach for you.

On the other hand, a very different approach is to tell others-- after all, you could have gotten them from somewhere the other families are exposed to, and they may need to be alert. In this sense, it's like lice. Embarrassing perhaps but not your fault, and others need to be vigilant and inspect to make sure they're clear.

Only you can decide which approach is right for your family, your kid, your neighbors (and it may depend also on whether you're talking about supportive friends or people you don't know well).

10. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 22:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you again everyone! Great ideas and support. One thing we had to check which I don't know about other schools is what the policy is on bed bugs. Kinda like lice. The school district knows however they also know what treatment we are at and (as posted in another one of our posts) we got the no bed bug activity notice from our PCO. So for our school district we do not need to worry about a big notification. We actually live next door to one of my son's classmates and so they and other parents know the truth. This has been an eye opener for a lot of us. We are not from New York or another city that has had a big bed bug epidemic so must of us are not as educated as ones from larger cities. However all the parents have been nice and even my son's classmate from next door thinks we had fire ants and mommy was sick (which I was from the bites) so that is why this year we have not been as social. In other posts I mentioned how I got my bed bugs but that has also started a discussion with other parents. Me included did not know that much about bed bugs. I also gave this website for more information. I can understand their concern about not getting bed bugs but now with the all clear from the PCO we are lucky to start to get back to normal. Still taking precautions since we may have some hidden. But sharing with others at least for me and my community most (not all still had a few jerks) parents have as me had their eyes opened as well. Please don't judge or hate I was one of those who thought I would never get bed bugs. My home is clean and they are not that common or only people who are in dirty homes have bed bugs. I think most people think that but I learned that bed bugs are not as uncommon as most of us thought. I keep thinking how many times I would buy second hand couches in the past or buy clothing from a second hand shop or do as I did and put my purse on the floor of an area that I should not have. So the area of this blog with info on how to not get bed bugs is just as valuable and has been shared with all of the parents I have spoken with. Most of them know how I live (my house is clean, my child is clean etc) but yet I got bed bugs. I shared with them my story on how I got my bed bugs and then gave them the information. They for the most part have been very thankful for the information. Many people have information on lice but bed bugs not so much (at least where I live). So in end to this long post it is sad as someone else mentioned that there are no better solutions but for someone from an area that it is not as common or spoken about maybe speaking up with my story will help another person in an area where it is not as common. Where bed bugs are not something that people talk about (except in a bad way). I always say things happen for a reason and maybe this happened to me so someone else does not get bed bugs or even knows the signs of bed bugs. Thanks again and best of luck to all of us.

11. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

cannotsleep999 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you again everyone! Great ideas and support. One thing we had to check which I don't know about other schools is what the policy is on bed bugs. Kinda like lice. The school district knows however they also know what treatment we are at and (as posted in another one of our posts) we got the no bed bug activity notice from our PCO. So for our school district we do not need to worry about a big notification. We actually live next door to one of my son's classmates and so they and other parents know the truth. This has been an eye opener for a lot of us. We are not from New York or another city that has had a big bed bug epidemic so must of us are not as educated as ones from larger cities. However all the parents have been nice and even my son's classmate from next door thinks we had fire ants and mommy was sick (which I was from the bites) so that is why this year we have not been as social. In other posts I mentioned how I got my bed bugs but that has also started a discussion with other parents. Me included did not know that much about bed bugs. I also gave this website for more information. I can understand their concern about not getting bed bugs but now with the all clear from the PCO we are lucky to start to get back to normal. Still taking precautions since we may have some hidden. But sharing with others at least for me and my community most (not all still had a few jerks) parents have as me had their eyes opened as well. Please don't judge or hate I was one of those who thought I would never get bed bugs. My home is clean and they are not that common or only people who are in dirty homes have bed bugs. I think most people think that but I learned that bed bugs are not as uncommon as most of us thought. I keep thinking how many times I would buy second hand couches in the past or buy clothing from a second hand shop or do as I did and put my purse on the floor of an area that I should not have. So the area of this blog with info on how to not get bed bugs is just as valuable and has been shared with all of the parents I have spoken with. Most of them know how I live (my house is clean, my child is clean etc) but yet I got bed bugs. I shared with them my story on how I got my bed bugs and then gave them the information. They for the most part have been very thankful for the information. Many people have information on lice but bed bugs not so much (at least where I live). So in end to this long post it is sad as someone else mentioned that there are no better solutions but for someone from an area that it is not as common or spoken about maybe speaking up with my story will help another person in an area where it is not as common. Where bed bugs are not something that people talk about (except in a bad way). I always say things happen for a reason and maybe this happened to me so someone else does not get bed bugs or even knows the signs of bed bugs. Thanks again and best of luck to all of us.

****I should add to this (hit post before proof reading probably due to little sleep that I am finally catching up on) That my son's classmates (not the adult) was told it was fire ants. So the kids will think fire ants. For us having the kids think ants and not bed bugs is best since this will not be as hard on my son. The adults are the ones who know bed bugs.***

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on the all clear cannotsleep999!

I am glad to hear you felt you could talk to the adults about bed bugs. You're doing them a real service. Bed bugs are active everywhere now, even if people don't talk about them, so raising awareness is great.

Good luck to you!

13. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 23:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

14. cannotsleep999

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 20:17:51
    #

Login to Send PM

First day of school went well. Getting used to our new routine living out of bags but I just keep positive this will not last forever.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 0:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You'll get through it. Stay positive!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,894 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019