Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Suitcases in Packtite

(10 posts)
  1. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2009 12:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

Question for those who have used their Packtite/David. I have to purchase a new suitcase for a trip I'm taking in March (I'm going to eventually post my ideas for how to prepare for travel to see what people think) and I was debating between a hard shell suitcase and a fabric one. I've heard that the hard shell ones were more bbug un-friendly, but I was wondering if anyone had used these in their Packtite. If so, did they still heat up well? I remember reading that some people had to treat their suitcase for 2 rounds (8 hours) for all of it to be heated, which would be fine, I just was wondering if there was an opinion either way before I purchased the suitcase. Thanks!

2. djames1921

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2009 16:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

A hard shell could block heat from being able to heat up the inner contents, making the treatment times longer. I would also recommend making sure the lid is propped open adequately to allow air flow inside. great question.

3. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2009 16:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. That's what I thought. If I open it up and perhaps treat it a couple of times (letting the machine cool down in between), is it still effective? Has anyone used a hard shell suitcase before?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2009 0:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Great question, OutoutDarnBugs. (I have been admiring your username also!)

David, could you also tell us the maximum size of a suitcase to be heated? I saw the size of the packtite on your site, but not sure what it can hold.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. djames1921

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2009 17:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Internal measurements for a suitcase are 31 inches long by 18 inches wide by 16 inches high. Happy heating!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2009 1:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!

7. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2009 1:30:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome! Hey, David. Say a suitcase was 31x21x12 (as in: this one). The sides would touch the edges of the Packtite, am I correct? That would potentially block air flow, right? I've had some plastic bags touching the sides (unintentionally) when I've used it before, and everything is heated up. If the suitcase touched the sides too, would it shut down, or just make air flow harder?

(Sorry, NoBugs. Didn't know if posting a link to the suitcase was OK. It's actually the one I'm thinking of purchasing, if I get a hard-side one. Maybe others would like to see it too, as it has fairly few adornments and hidey spaces!)

8. djames1921

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2009 11:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you would be ok. The main airflow you want to allow for is from underneath the shelf upwards. Blocking that entire area will shut the unit down as the heat will trigger the safety fuse. Also important is that airflow can flow over the top of your stuff and below the top of the bag - blocking this can make the top of your stuff too cool. Touching the sides will block flow and is not recommended, but I think it will be just fine.

9. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2009 11:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent! Thanks, David!

10. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2009 14:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been wondering what size would fit in a packtite, so this thread is very helpful. I'm saving for a packtite, as I think I'm bedbug free, and want to remain that way. I thought the packtite could be great for any trips I might take, to have it for a preventative measure when I return. Thanks for all the info.
    And outoutdarnbugs, I like that suitcase, the main thing I like is the no eextra hiding places. Thanks for the heads up on that case.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982