Sufficient treatment?

(12 posts)
  1. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2014 22:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

My apartment was treated by the landlord's exterminator two weeks ago (a light infestation, he said). I don't know what he used, but he described it as a liquid which dries to a powder, and reaches into the cracks the bugs hide in (he wore a respirator to apply it) He placed a lot of adhesive trap/monitors around the treated bedrooms, and nothing has shown up in them. I am sleeping in a bed (not my usual bed, since that one is a platform bed hard to isolate) with Climb-up interceptors on the legs,. I have had no bites, and nothing has shown up in the Climb-ups. I'm planning to start sleeping, as bait, in another guest bedroom which did have evidence of bed bugs (but which now has an encased mattress and heat-treated bedding), in a bed unsuitable for Climb-ups, while the master bedroom is plastered and painted. The landlord's exterminator inspected the treated rooms today, and found nothing.

The technician said he would be back for another inspection, maybe in a week or so. I have inspected everything myself, with magnification and light, and have not seen any evidence of bed bugs. I also regularly visit my husband's house an hour away, and have found no evidence (nor ever have been bitten) there. I have been commuting between our two abodes for months, without realizing my itchy skin rashes were due to bed bug bites (my husband doesn't react to bites, which I didn't know was possible, so bed bugs never crossed my mind).

Is one treatment of my apartment is enough? How long does it take to draw any hold-outs from their hiding places? Do the sticky trap monitors really work as monitors? Before I start to unpack, I will paint diatomaceous earth on the bottom and inner frames of chests of drawers and other furniture. Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2014 8:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not a pro, but I want to bump this up so they'll see it. Have you read the FAQ's on this site--especially about how to protect your bed, encasements, monitors, bites, etc.? There are tons of blogs related to all sorts of questions--just search the google button on top right corner. For specific questions like yours it's best to start a new thread--which you did.

Hopefully a more experienced blogger or pro will answer your questions soon. It sounds like you have been very vigilant about looking for evidence.

3. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2014 23:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for suggestions from professionals. I have found this website very hard to navigate, with more answers coming from random luck than through search results. I'm sure the information is here, somewhere, but I'm afraid I can't spend all my time trying to comb through hundreds of posts of dubious relevance.

4. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 9:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi B.B.sLucille,

Sorry you haven't been able to get more answers from the site. I hesitate to say too much since I am not a pro.

IMHO and from what I've read on here:

The amount of treatments depend on many factors--for example, number of live bugs after treatment and evidence such as fecal matter. Sometimes one treatment is sufficient, especially if the harborages are all found and treated thoroughly.

How long it takes to draw them out--???

Sticky traps--if you google that you'll see the pros and cons--

I would continue to monitor for evidence and keep clothes and linens bagged up until you are in the clear. You can check with the exterminator to find out what protocol he advises too for your circumstances.

Best of luck!

5. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 20:23:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much. I have continued to be vigilant and super-careful. I've been looking through the prevention of re-infestation posts, and have found nothing more for me to be doing.

I haven't been able to see my grandchildren for more than two months! I am having a final inspection by the exterminator next week. When can I declare myself all-clear, without my lingering doubt, which I know is due to paranoia?

6. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 20:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I know what you mean about the grandchildren. I have two also--they're under 4--and we haven't spent time with ours either for a while. Waiting to be sure we're safe.

Some of the pros have mentioned time frames on here, like 8-12 weeks after you see bugs. Others say wait 50-60 days after your last bite. There are FAQ's on how to go out and take precautions. Look up on google and you'll find them. Probably you will be able to find out about how to know when you're clear too.

I know I've told you this, but hopefully a pro will see your post and give you some answers. Meanwhile, keep up the good work!

7. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 9:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a bit concerned that you haven't been told exactly what's being used in your home. PCOs should tell occupants what's being used.

In your shoes, I'd call them on Monday & ask for written info. When I say "ask" I mean, "demand"

Knowing what has been used would probably help pros offer opinions on efficacy. At the moment, no-one knows if it's pesticide or pixiedust.

8. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 21:14:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I'll find out the name of the pesticide (they're scheduled to check again in 3 days).

Over the weekend, I had my husband around to help me wrangle an upholstered armchair and ottoman into a huge plastic bag, and then hung a Hot Shot No-Pest strip from a clamp in the tent created by the bag. I twist-tied and taped the closure, and hope that 4 weeks of pesticide vapor will kill anything which survived extermination chemicals and my subsequent vacuuming and steaming.

I then felt I should try sleeping in that bedroom, with the infested chair encased. Bad idea! 4 bites! But since I've proven that there are bedbugs in that room (despite the many empty sticky traps the exterminator laid down), I'm laying myself as bait tonight in my master bedroom. This process is so long, I'm willing to be bitten a few more times to definitively prove if bugs are still there, so that they will deal with them.

9. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 13:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

To resume where I left off, I have slept in the master bedroom for three nights with no bites. The exterminator came today for what originally was supposed to be the final inspection. I told him about the bites I received in the guest room bed over the weekend. Still no bugs in the sticky traps, he took the (encased) mattress and box spring off the wooden sleigh bed, and turned the frame on its side. He vacuumed and applied some Tri-Die to the frame, which he told me was the pesticide used in the original treatment. He's due to come back next week for another inspection.

I'd appreciate info from the pros as to whether they think this will finally do the trick, and if there is anything else I should do or ask about. By the way, I asked him about my applying DE as a preventative after he declares the treatment period over, and he said no, it might interfere with the residual effectiveness of the Tri-Die. Still, since I believe he treated mostly the baseboard areas, I thought I would paint some DE on the bottoms and inside the frames of chests of drawers and desks, and around legs and on the rugs under the beds. Good idea?

10. pabuggs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 19:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping up for pros

11. B.B.s Lucille

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 12:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

When I continued being bitten, the exterminator said to bag the rug. Luckily, orientals fold quite compactly. Still more bites, however. The wood flooring where the rug had been showed areas with fairly wide cracks between the boards, and the exterminator applied more pesticide there. No more bites since that treatment.

The landlord wants me to throw out my upholstered chair and ottoman. It has been bagged with the NoPest strip for more than 4 weeks, and remains encased. The exterminator doesn't believe the pesticide will penetrate to every part of the chair, and so the chair could potentially cause a re-infestation (he also says he has seen upholstered furniture where bugs have survived heat treatment). He gave me the name of a fumigator, but they said it would cost a minimum of $1900 for the smallest chamber, 5'x8'x8', which is probably more money than buying a new chair. I love the chair, however, and would be willing to keep it bagged for 18 months, until all forms of bedbugs have expired. Are there any other alternatives?

12. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 18:59:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If the chair is important you might as well just keep it bagged up for over a year (Taking care that there is nothing nearby that can puncture the bag) and everything should be fine after that period has elapsed, with any bugs that happened to be trapped in the bag having expired before then.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie