Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Suffering greatly and about to move: please help!

(6 posts)
  1. AfflictedinIsrael

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 9:25:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm a 21 year old young woman currently living in Israel. My lease ended on my apartment 2 weeks ago and I decided to stay with some elderly relatives until I found a new place.

The first night I stayed in their guest room, I couldn't sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I had about 7 huge red, swollen welts in the tell-tale breakfast/lunch/dinner pattern along my legs. I immediately suspected it was bedbugs but after changing the sheets, and doing a visual inspection of the mattress, I assumed it must have been from a spider because there was absolutely no evidence of bedbugs. However, for the last 2 weeks I've been consistently bitten and after studying this website I realize that there are definitley bedbugs here. I've also found several (live) adults and without a doubt they are bedbugs. I also found fleas, fire ants, (and one mysterious which looked like a tiny fly with wings, and jumped out of my fingers in a flea-like manner) and I'm sure that my current suffering is a result of all these pests combined. I can't sleep at night because I am constantly feeling bedbugs crawling on me. I also must sleep with the light on because I've found them on my pillow and am too frightened to sleep in the dark again.

I told my relatives about this and they are in complete denial. I vaccuumed the room but it's extremely cluttered and there are many cracks in the wall/floor tile so I'm positive it made absolutely no difference. When I showed the bedbugs that I found to my relatives they simply dismissed it with the fact that I'm the only one being affected, and that "we live in the countryside, there are bugs here", as well as a claim that the bedbug I showed them is a simple "flower bug" (lol.)

Luckily I found another place and I'm able to move there in 2 days! I also have barely any possessions aside from personal grooming/beauty accessories and clothes. I have some books but I'm totally okay with leaving them. I also have a laptop which I need to take with me. I already laundered all my clothes, dried them, put them in sealed garbage bags and stuck them in direct sunlight (it's at least 100 degrees out side here, so I'm assuming inside the bag is definitely at least 115 degrees). .

My plan right now is to sterilize all my clothes once again, and leave the bags in sunlight one more time for a few hours. A different relative is going to drive me, so the fear of bedbugs in the car is reduced. I also plan on putting my laptop in a garbage bag and leaving it in the sun. When I get to my new place I'm going to be scrubbing it down with my landlord and plan on leaving my things outside until I'm done. Then I want to open my bag outdoors and take out each garment individually, inspecting it for bugs. Then I'm going to throw away the garbage bags and the next day, I'm going to throw out the sheets the landlord is providing for me and then buy new sheets the next day. I want to know if this is sufficient prevention.

My main question is this: What are additional steps I can take in order to MAKE SURE I do not bring the bedbugs into my new place? I've been suffering so much and I'm cautiously optomistic that I can leave this problem behind, but I can't imagine living like this anymore. I feel so dirty and depressed, and I can't concentrate on anything because of my overwhelming paranoia about the bugs and giving them to friends/family. Are there any hidden dangers I should be aware of? And if anyone moved and sucessfully left them behind please let me know! Thanks everyone.

2. nervousbreakdwn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 10:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

sounds like it is a good thing you are getting out of there YIKES!
    I find ppl who d not suffer the misery are less likely to empathize…I also encountered a similar scenario and have managed to (i think) elliminate my BB prob before I moved in the next week.

I have heard alcohol is good for everything you cannot steam. As long as all your clothes (anything dry-able) go straight into clean airtight (plastic works best) bags you dont have to worry about taking them with. I wouldnt leave your computer outside in the sun as it can be ruined, and it is not very likely they would be in there…when you get to your new place it may help to STEAM your apartment and take each of your clothes out one at a time to steam or re-dry them. This way YOU have peace of mind and can slowly be thorough to make sure NO CRITTERS are taken with you.

Hang in there and remind yourself that the bites (while miserable) wont kill you or be detrimental to your health. I would also find a good anti-itch cream too..this may help your sanity as well ..

I hope this helps

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 10:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have access to a dryer? I would not chance your clothes if they are only being heated by the sun.

4. AfflictedinIsrael

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 19:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

nervousbreakdwn and AshamedAndScratching, thank you so much for your replies. I'm really relieved to find other people who have gone through this ordeal and it gives me hope for myself.

Today I re-dried all of my clothes in the dryer on extremely high heat. I also inspected all of them before doing it and found no evidence aside from one mysterious creature crawling on one of my shirts (which quite possibly could have been a nymph). I then baggaed them and stuck the bags in direct sunlight, just in case. I've also let my other items sit in sunlight for the last few days as well.

Right now I am waiting for my cousin to pick me up so I can move. Should I take a shower and change clothes while still at this place or wait until I get to my new place?

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 19:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are having to open a bag, I'm not sure you should shower and change. Especially, if you are standing around after the shower waiting. It's Saturday night in the US, so there may not be a PCO on for a while.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 6:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The "breakfast, lunch & dinner" bite pattern is a myth. There is no "typical" bite pattern for BBs.

If you still have the bugs you identified as bed bugs, or if you can find another, please post a good clear image in a new thread asking for ID.

I realise that you are sure you have BBs but there are a number of critturs that strongly resemble BBs & it takes some expertise to be 100% sure.

Given all the various creatures you're finding, you need a definitive ID. Your skin reaction may not be bites at all - some people have what's called "chitin sensitivity" & you may simply be reacting to a higher than usual quanityt of insect chitin in your bed.

It's good that you've got a new place but correct ID from one of the lovely experts who hang out here may help you either to a) rest more easily if it's not a BB or b) convince your elderly rels to take the problem more seriously. After all, if an infestation gets out of hand, elderly people, being as they are more prone to anaemia, may wind up suffering more than would younger, healthier people.

Please read this site's FAQs too - there's so much misinformation & panic-mongering out there; it's important to get accurate & up-to-date info.

All the best in your new home!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69