Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Sudden onset of bites

(10 posts)
  1. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Around a week ago I woke up very itchy with 3 bites a row in my leg and the common 'triangle' pattern of 3 bites in my stomach. I found this weird, but since my cat had fleas when we first got him, I thought that could be it, but my reaction this time is worse. Over the next 3 days, I accumulated around 15 more bites. I get an extreme reaction, so I'm going nuts. ALL of them are at least 3 bites in a row, sometimes 4. Every single day I have been waking up with at least 3 bites (one of my legs is totally covered).
    I have looked in my mattress and can't seem to find anything.
    Would a hitchhiker cause this amount of damage in such a short period of time (a very sudden onset)? I haven't been traveling, only going to work. But there's gotta be something there.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This common pattern is a myth. Please see the bite primer.

There are many causes of skin reactions but through a simple triage:

• Bites on areas covered while sleep - not bedbugs
    • Bites on legs - almost always fleas

I would suggest you rotate your pets flea treatment to avoid resistance.

Look at the simple information on how to resolve flea issues.

Come back with more data if that does not resolve things and if it does come back to update the thread.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspected fleas, but my cat was treated almost a year ago and is an indoor cat, so it doesn't make much sense. Obviously bites without other signs are not a way to prove anything, but yesterday I slept with tight clothing and today I woke up to 3 bites on my left hand and and 4 bites on my right one. The first bites on my legs were mostly around the knee and thigh area. Also 3 bites in my neck, around 10 on my legs, 5 on my upper back and one in my face.
    I will try to update this post after a more throughout inspection.
    Thank you very much for your help, greatly appreciated.

4. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:43:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick update: after inspecting my sheets, I found about 4 little stains of blood that weren't there before, and now I'm in a panic.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:46:07
    #

Login to Send PM

That's not confirming of anything. Typical bed bug feeding schedule is only once roughly every five days, so I wouldn't jump right to bed bugs.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 7:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The additional information does not change my opinion on this one, especially the treatment history of the cat and the fact its a house cat. In such cases is common for the owner to still blame the cat despite the fact its obviously the human who brought the initial fleas in.

It remains the logical place to start, if you still want to consider it could be bedbugs I would suggest you start looking through the static content and focus your search on:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

They will confirm whats causing the symptoms if its bedbugs.

David

7. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 8:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. Found nothing so far except for the blood stains.
    Just a question: would a recent infestation cause this amount of bites (around 20-25 in a week)? If they are feeding, we'd have to see something.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 21 2019 8:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That would depend on how many bedbugs were in the infestation and how responsive or not you are to their bites. The reason why this site is structured around "don't focus on bites" is because they are the wrong thing to focus on.

People ability to detect bedbugs is governed by their eyesight and attention to detail. Therefore there are too many variable to the idea:

detectable infestation = X bugs by Y weeks

With experience you also get better at finding them with adds additional variables.

The lack of confirming signs points away from it being bedbugs because despite some many peoples instance that "they can tell from the bites" they cant and end up dealing with "invisible" bedbugs rather than actually tackling the real cause.

We do our best to catch them and stop them spreading anxiety through the forum but they keep coming back, often with new information and reasons why we are wrong and they are still having to deal with invisible bedbugs.

Stop, take a deep breath and look at this logically.

David

9. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed May 22 2019 6:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much for your help.
    I have been sleeping with my body covered and my legs were spared, but feels like my hands, neck and face have been eaten alive the past two nights.
    I cannot sleep with the amount of bites I have, so I have to figure out what’s going on.
    The fact that there was a case of bedbugs found at common areas of my workplace recently isn’t helping with my peace of mind.
    Sorry for the rant, and again, thank you for your help.

10. scared_girl_

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed May 22 2019 8:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

After changing my sheets yesterday, today I found 2 new very dark blood stains right under where I lay at night.
    I am definitely calling a PCO.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest