Success story (so far!)

(13 posts)
  1. buggedoutindetroit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 0:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I know on these forums, many people do not come back to report their results with treatments. I wanted to come back share my sucess (so far) with bed bug problems. We confirmed the bed bug infestation in September 2010; it was mostly confined to the bedroom. I am pretty sure I got them from work (I no longer work at that job!). My last live bug sighting was on December 17, 2010 (along with blood mark on sheet). We have not seen any bugs since that date, or signs of bugs. We have not had any bites since sometime in November 2010. And I was having terrible reactions from the bites.

My husband and I live in an apartment and we had three treatments that were paid for by my apartment manager. I had many sleepless nights, a ruined honeymoon, and a fear of being in my bedroom. I still have scars on my arms from me scratching the bites. I spent a lot of time on this forum. There was a point where I never thought we would get rid of these bugs. It was making me sick with anxiety. But you know what? I can safely say for me that the battle is for the most part over.

We did not throw away everything we owned, but we cleaned and declutter. The managers of my apartment were truly wonderful and stayed on top of the problem. When the first PCO didn't work out, they made sure that we had the treatments with a different, more reputable PCO. I monitored any signs of bed bug activity very closely.

It took a while for me to feel comformtable in my bedroom again. I sleep in my bed no problem now, but we haven't started using the new comforter we bought back in October 2010. Just thin blankets that can easily be washed. We use white sheets to also help monitor any bed bug activity. I put all my clothes back in my closet last month too.

I check in and around my bed for bugs at night, but not they way I used to. I still think about the bugs, but I don't obsess about it anymore.

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 0:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Were they pesticide treatments and if so which pesticide(s) and applied in what fashion.

Are there additional details you can provide to help sufferers reading this, and their PCO's, replicate your good result. Any tips that folks might not necessarily think of which may have made the difference in your view.

Because many people have reported three or more treatments that did not succeed in eliminating the problem, unlike your case.

You're especially fortunate not only that your three treatments got the job done, but also that you yourselves didn't have to bear any of the financial cost (is that correct).

3. buggedoutindetroit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 1:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Were they pesticide treatments and if so which pesticide(s) and applied in what fashion.
    Are there additional details you can provide to help sufferers reading this, and their PCO's, replicate your good result. Any tips that folks might not necessarily think of which may have made the difference in your view.
    Because many people have reported three or more treatments that did not succeed in eliminating the problem, unlike your case.
    You're especially fortunate not only that your three treatments got the job done, but also that you yourselves didn't have to bear any of the financial cost (is that correct).

Unfortunately I do not recall the names of the chemicals that were used in our treatments. I know they used some kind of dust material that was put in out electrical outlets, walls, and around other parts of our apartment. I'm sorry, I know that doesn't help much.

We did not have to pay for the treatments because it was covered under our apartment lease. I am grateful for this because paying for the treatments would have been a hardship for us. My apartment management does have a policy that if you do not comply with treatment protocols, i.e. washing clothing, bagging everything up...etc, then you could be liable for the treatment costs. We live large apartment complex, although our actual apartment is small.

From all evidence, the bed bugs were confined to bedroom, on and around the bed. I had a habit of storing things under the bed but of course no longer do this. We decluttered like crazy. We vacummed the carpets in our whole apartment and around the floor boards every couple of days and disposed of the bags. When we had our treatments, we followed their treatment protocol and did everything they told us to do ...Washed/dryed or dry cleaned and bagged clothing, clean, declutter...etc. They also treated the apartments around us. We kept clothes and everything else in ziploc bags during the ordeal. Pretty much followed the advice on these forums, which helped us so much.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 1:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Are there additional details you can provide to help sufferers reading this, and their PCO's, .

There is no magic potion. It is far more important to have a methodical, multiple attack, and thorough approach rather than whatever product.

Jim

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 4:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 2 hours ago  » 

jrbtnyc - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Are there additional details you can provide to help sufferers reading this, and their PCO's, .

There is no magic potion. It is far more important to have a methodical, multiple attack, and thorough approach rather than whatever product.
    Jim

Sure, but if the agent of bb death is one particular pesticide alone with no heat or fumigation or etc., and the bb population happens to be highly resistant to that particular pesticide, then doesn't the choice of «whatever product» make a really big difference? In that case, wouldn't the effort fail no matter now systematic and well-organized it is?

If buggedoutindetroit were able to tell us which pesticide or pesticides were used, and whether they were supplemented by anything else such as DE as possibly suggested by her use of the phrase «some kind of dust material», then we would know whether their PCO's attack was indeed «multiple». Because if the PCO only used one pesticide, that wouldn't be «multiple», would it? If we knew these particulars, they might shed light for others reading this whose efforts to eliminate bb's by similar campaigns – perhaps equally diligent but with different «whatever product(s)» – have failed.

6. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 9:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - When it comes to bed bugs & pesticides, it ain't what you do; it's the way that you do it. Successful PCOs use exactly the same treatments as many unsuccessful PCOs. Understanding the pest & taking a targeted, systematic approach is the key to eradicating BBs.

Integrated pest management means that a large part of successful pest control lies with the sufferer, not the PCO. In the case of BBs, that means hot drier treatment for textiles, de-cluttering, making the environment hostile to BBs, sticking to all the protocols for avoiding transfer, educating our family & social contacts &, if necessary, helping them to conduct searches/ de-cluttering, etc. Only when all those measures are combined with appropriate treatment can eradication be achieved.

7. so unsettling

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 12:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

'fraid I am going to have to agree with jrbtnyc on this one. So far on this site, I have learned that Vikane works for some people, and that KQ and DavidUK are successful in eliminating bedbugs. I have no idea how, but do know that they are very good at what they do and work for cooperative clients.

The upside of living in an apartment is that the landlord pays for treatment. The downside is that tenants don't know what is being done. It's like it's a big secret, between landlord and PCO, although you can find out by pushing for the information.

There may be no magic potion, but it would be nice to know what chemicals lead to success. Also, it would be nice to believe that our PCOs knew how to apply whatever correctly, so this issue of "not what they use, but how they use it," would no longer be an issue.

I know that my own PCO used Phantom only on the last visit, as he assumed this would be the last one and Phantom goes down only once a month. Before that, I assume he used the same pyrethins that everyone uses. It seems the use of Phantom would be a problem for PCOs, as they are expected to visit every 7-10 days, but what will they apply if the used Phantom on the previous visit? It would be stupid to use another pyrethrin, as these compromise the non-repellant feature of Phantom. And dust isn't supposed to applied over and over; once correctly applied should suffice.

As you can see I am ignorant, but it would be nice to know SOMETHING about what they are using and what works and why. I do not believe that every dwelling has its own distinctive personality and requires a unique tailor made plan. There has to be more common ground than differences.

That having been said, I AM very happy for you, buggedoutindetroit.

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 15:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If we said product X works, people would jump like it was a magic bullet.

Dusts, due to physical properties of dispertion, can be more effective in voids and cracks.

Spray and pray is not going to cut it regardless of product. Success is a process, not a product.

Jim

9. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 17 2011 19:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to disagree. Bed bugs in NYC are 80% resistant to pyrethrins, while Phantom and Temprid at the BB conference were two of three pesticides mentioned that showed any hope of eliminating resistant infestations.

It is crucial for the consumer to know which products work so they can purchase them themselves. Of course, in NY you can't buy anything that works which is part of the reason infestations are so out of control in this state.

Amy

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 2:50:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Beth - 6 hours ago  » 
    Of course, in NY you can't buy anything that works...

That is simply not accurate.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 3:04:20
    #

Login to Send PM

For the record .. 100% of my business is dealing with bed bugs in NY. I have yet to find a single population resistant to pyrethrins. While there is a lot of talk about resistance it's not likely you are dealing with resistant populations.

As I mentioned in another post, if a tech finds this happening ... other products are available.

Most treatments fail because of us (PCO and client) ... not the products. Trust me, you underestimate this pest ... you will loose.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 23 2011 13:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Kumah37,

Please start a new thread and copy your post there. People are unlikely to see it here and it takes this thread off-topic. Thanks!

13. welcome2mynitemared

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 16:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

very curious - detroit the city itself or detroit area? I live in metro detroit and am quickly learning that is is a big problem in the area- scared to move bc i feel like the bb are everywhere!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug