Success story in Brooklyn

(7 posts)
  1. angsty_itchy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 9:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

In the fall of 2013 I started getting bites, but didn’t think too much about it. Though I’d been paranoid about bedbugs for 10 years, I just had a new baby, had a toddler at home, and my light searches of the beds didn’t turn anything up so I didn’t think it was bedbugs (plus killing a few mosquitoes put me more at ease). But one early morning, I see this bug crawling on the bathroom wall and my heart sinks. I kill it and blood spurts out and I start freaking out because here was the evidence I’d been waiting for.

I didn’t know what to do, so I called a friend who went through this situation and she recommended a company that works with K9s. I call them and thankfully they call back within 10 minutes. They were free to come in the afternoon to inspect, which was a relief because everything stopped for me. I immediately found this website and started reading everything I could on it. My husband had to take both kids out for a few hours because I was going crazy. My paranoia was realized and I felt helpless.

So the guys came out with their dog and did an inspection. First they said the bug I killed was definitely a bedbug. Then the dog alerted to my son’s dresser, my bed, and the couch. The guys started looking closer to find a bug after the alert (which I learned from this site is the right thing to do). They didn’t find any in the dresser or beds, but they did in the seams of the couch. Bedbugs confirmed.

They tell us we don’t need to bag things (huh?) and that they could start treatment immediately. This felt wrong to me, but being in the state I was in I agreed to it. They asked that we leave and would do treatment #1 and we could return after a few hours. They ask me if I wanted to throw away the couch and I asked do we need to (somehow thinking I’d read not to trash furniture) and he said it’s uncertain if they’d be able to eliminate them from the couch. I asked what was the probability and he said 60% chance. I still went with my gut and said not to throw it away just yet.
    So we leave, they do their thing spraying exciter, something else, and cedar oil (supposedly more natural for the kid’s beds) and said they would come back in 2 weeks to retreat. But in those interim weeks I just wasn’t comfortable with their approach (still didn’t need to bag and treat clothes) though they guaranteed to treat until the bugs were gone. I also killed over 30 bugs during that time and that just kept freaking me out more. I spent more and more time on this site and came to read about KillerQueen and decided I had to give him a call because I didn’t want to mess with this situation (I was already sleep deprived with the 4 mo old and toddler).

KillerQueen was amazing! We did the prep and he came in for the first treatment. His approach is to eliminate them on treatment 1 versus the keep spraying until they’re gone (I think with the other guys it would’ve happened and they were good in many ways, but it just would’ve taken much longer and been for me more of a psychological toll). KQ also said with my couch he was 100% confident that he’d eliminate the bugs (not 60% with the other guys). So he came in for treatment 1 and afterwards I only saw 1 dead bug (vs. the 30+ live ones I’d seen before). He came back to retreat a few weeks later and that was the end. I’ve been bb free since Jan 2014 thanks to him!

But life for me hasn’t completely reverted back as I’ve been much more wary and careful about catching them again. Our neighborhood is littered with mattresses and couches for disposal so I’m always nervous. But I know that they can be eliminated (happened before!) and hopefully if I ever get them again, I’ll be that much more prepared and not overwhelmed.

Thank you KQ for all your reassurance and expert treatment and for NoBugs for moderating this site, and for the other experts who graciously give up their time and expertise to help us. BBs are no fun, but they can be overcome!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 13:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, thanks for the kind words.

Not sure who you are but I'm glad I was able to help

3. battlinbugz

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 16:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

THANK YOU for your success story! Gives hope to those of us who are newbites or have been rebugged for whatever reason.

Hopefully KQ's mad skills and learnings will diffuse to the rest of the country at some point.

Not a pro. I have some knowledge and a success story, both thanks to this site.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 20:33:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for sharing your success story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 21:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. melo75

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 13 2015 23:54:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I was as lucky. what about killerqueen's approach is it that he eliminates them on the first try? maybe i can give tips to the exterminator my landlord hired?

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 14 2015 4:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Melo75: I wish I was as lucky. what about killerqueen's approach is it that he eliminates them on the first try?
    ------------------------------
    If he sees this I'm sure he'll correct any inaccuracies, but my understanding from reading here is that Killer Queen's (KK) approach follows the fundamentals of Integrated Pest Management, just like many U.S. PCO's.

That starts with a thorough inspection to identify if there is a problem, and if there is, the extent of that problem. That, plus possible reasons for the problem, ie how the bugs got here in the first place, so it won't be repeated after treatment is finished. Then he asks for some prep work, covering the basics which should be in the FAQ's.

Straining memory here, but I think he recommends casements for the box springs, not sure about the mattresses.

Treatment wise, I believe he uses a combination of chemical and non-chemical methods, including the vacuum and steam for fast contact kill -- maybe another contact killer as well -- and then a combination of liquid chemical and powdered insecticides for residual kill.

One sets him apart from many pro's his that his aim is to get rid of all the bugs on the first visit. Because of this I believe he and his crew spend 4 hours per room, which is more than many PCOs.

Then, I believe there's a follow-up visit for inspection in a couple of weeks and another treatment if necessary, plus education regarding monitoring.

The other thing, as mentioned here often, is that it's not what you use, it's how you use it. So just trying to copy hiw approach, or any approach, without the proper experience and training won't guarantee the same results.

I think it was Paul that said something to the effect that killing bed bugs is easy. All you have to do is to figure out all the places where they hide, and then treat those places appropriately. This, of course, takes experience and expertise, and is one reason DIY often doesn't work, or if it does why it takes longer.

I should add that there are other valid approaches following the principles of Integrated Pest Management. These usually involve less time treating on the initial visit, but more follow up visits. So just because your PCO doesn't spend 4 hours per room, and has more than one follow-up visit, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing, just means the approach is different. Of course, I'm not talking about the "spray jockeys' where "spray and pray"is their mantra.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie