Success Story and thanks

(5 posts)
  1. FoundASpot

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 23 2016 15:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I wanted to share my success story and gratitude to everyone on this forum. I don't know what I would've done without the knowledge and helpfulness here.

Our experience began 2 months ago with strange itchy welts on my leg. On day 3 of more welts, I suspected bedbugs and found this amazing website.

I tore apart the bed, found nothing, washed all bedding and pillows, and ordered ClimbUps. The bed was isolated and daily checks found nothing---no bugs, no skins, no fecal---yet I was still getting bitten. That's when I suspected the couch.

One late night on the couch, I felt incredibly itchy on the back of my neck. I got up and turned around, and there it was. A damned FED(!) bug. Bagged it, photographed it, uploaded it here, where Lou and Jim confirmed its evilness. I mean, species.

I called exterminators. I still can't get over the guy from a big company that advertises their dog on TV. He was really a salesman, not a PCO. He came over but didn't do an inspection. Instead he launched into what I consider terrifying fear-mongering tactics to try to get us to sign up for---not joking here----a $9,000 package of services to treat a 1 bedroom apartment. I straight up broke down sobbing when he left.

When people say that bedbugs drove them insane or to divorce or depression, this is the heart of it. You are told that you can't know how many bugs you have, or where they are ("THEY COULD BE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!"), or how much time or $$$$ it will take to fix. You are already not sleeping, burdened by precautions, living out of bags, itchy. Beware of people who might try to exploit your stress.

When I started falling apart over these damned bugs is when I knew I had to spend the night somewhere else. It was the first solid night of sleep I had had in weeks and made a huge difference.

We ended up using an exterminator I found out about through this forum, Standard Pest, in NYC. The guy who came to do the inspection was so refreshing. He had seen it all, treated it all, was so down to earth and normal about it. He was the only exterminator that actually found live bugs. 10-12 in our couch and some eggs (plus skins and fecal on an ottoman). He zapped them with Bedlam.

Their package involved steam heat on the furniture, plus chemicals. Two treatments 10 days apart. And for literally less than 10% of what the other place wanted.

Two days later he did treatment #1. After three days, I was getting strange itchy rashes, but couldn't find any bugs. A different PCO returned 10 days later---just as normal and down to earth---for treatment #2.

That was three weeks ago. Haven't seen a bug or welt again. We are bugfree! YESSSSS!!

Thanks again so much to NoBugsOnMe for starting this place and to everyone else who shares information, tips, and encouragement.

And good luck to everyone at the start or in the middle of their story. Go sleep somewhere else for a night or two if you're getting too stressed. And hang in there...you'll beat these bugs eventually.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 23 2016 22:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. TSPiggy

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 24 2016 5:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

4. bugsniper

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 24 2016 22:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for sharing this. We had a similar experience with three different PCOs all offering different styles of very expensive treatment. I was so scared and upset and cried for weeks. I'm about one month into treating using steam and chemicals and I think it's working.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 25 2016 0:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for sharing your success story. I am glad things are looking good now. All good wishes for continued success!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,510 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333