Success story

(7 posts)
  1. Ragged

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 17 2013 23:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted here a few times last year while dealing with our BB issue. Frankly, since its been dealt with, I didn't really feel any desire to revisit the experience, but I felt like I should at least post something positive, since I know what a downer the situation can be.

We discovered our infestation much like many others did... Sort of gradually. A little bug here, a bug there, then my wife googled a description, and of and behold, bedbugs. From then on...full-on, exhausting upheaval of the entire house. The washing, drying, bagging, steaming, living out of plastic bags, all this, of course, while we're trying to gauge what exactly we're dealing with. And the worst part, of course, is when you have small children. The whole thing in and of itself wears you out mentally and physically, but that protective parental instinct really kicks in when you know they're feeding on your kids. Grrrr.

Now, we were fortunate enough to have had a good year financially (we are self employed, so it can really vary from year to year) so, after talking to a few PCOs, we decided to shell out for heat treatment. We had the canine inspection done prior to that and I question it's effectiveness somewhat, but maybe I just didn't know what to look for in terms of how the dog should react.

At any rate, we went with a Toronto based company called Heat N Go ( we live in the Ottawa region, Canada.) but had to wait 2 weeks before they could do treatment. After 2 weeks of living in limbo, they showed up, were very sympathetic, knowledgable and friendly, heated the place (a townhouse, all 3 floors) and were gone by, I believe, 6 pm. A very positive experience with them.

During the following few weeks of paranoia, I was convinced something was still feeding (and something may have been) but with the help of David Cain and a couple of others - Bed Bug Mutts out in Vancouver- and armed with a couple of BBalert passive monitors, I came to the realization that our problem had been dealt with. So a huge thank you to David. What a blessing to have someone so knowledgable, accessible and generous!

So there's lots more to the story (mostly bad) and it wasn't cheap, but it can be done!

Hopefully, I won't be back here.

Best of luck to all..

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 0:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you and thanks so much for taking the time to come back and give us the success story. It means so much to others who come along later. And of course, those of us who remember your struggles.

Now go on, and we don't want to see you again!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 6:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 10:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Also just a quick note to say thanks for sharing the good news, as success stories often move on and appear disproportionately low on a forum like this, each one is a source of great encouragement to others.

Thanks also for the mention and hopefully your new found logic and tools for early detection will help ensure that it never happens again.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Canuck

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 13:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I echo the sentiments - congratulations. Your experience and excellent knowledge base increases the odds you will never face an infestation again. And as a bonus, you just might be able to help educate someone else too - spread the word, not the bed bug. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  6. bedbugphobia

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 16:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for sharing. i'm on my countdown to declaring freedom from the bugs. i hear so many horror stories, so thank you for posting about your success.

7. ScaredInTheCity

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 17:58:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the post!!

It's so important to post success stories!!!

Many people have moved on, and its good to say so- on here for those in the throws of it

YAY!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081