Success in that it wasn't bedbugs!

(3 posts)
  1. HowdyDoo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2016 23:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a friend visit not too long ago. About a week later, I commentated on the phone about my lack of sleep and how I was itching and feeling like I was getting bit.

Turns out she had bedbugs. She thought she had eliminated them (found out a day after my visit that she hadn't.

I freaked big time. I couldn't eat and loss ten pounds in one week (I was worried about passing bedbugs to my other housemates).

I spent (more money than I had) on things like the giant ziplocks, climbups, bedbug eliminate kit, a new bedframe (I had planned on switching out my old futon frames for years anyway and decided it was a good time to stop procrastinating - still have the frame, just doing long-term storage), Packtite heater, power steamer... you get the idea.

The exterminator was supposed to come tomorrow, but I cancelled him. Turns out, I had scabies. Symptoms match them very closely and after asking her, my friend apparently had them too. She thought she had taken care of them previously. I did the topical medication for them and while not totally better (it can take up to a month), the symptoms are far better than before.

I guess there's a chance I did get bedbugs from her. If I got scabies, I could have gotten another hitchhiker too. However, I vacuumed numerous times, sprayed alcohol and Murphy's Oil soap mix into every bed crack and crevice. I never saw the black fecal marks or blood spatters on my bed. Never got anything that actually looked like a bedbug bite either.

I got an itch I just can't scratch
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2016 23:18:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you were able to figure it out!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. HowdyDoo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 3:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So, still no bedbugs.

I've been fighting what I think is a tenacious scabies infection instead and it's been a lot worse than I thought it would be. Still, happy that it's not bedbugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82