Subdued lighting

(39 posts)
  1. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 2:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Admin note: the following advice is not recommended. It is based on faulty assumptions about bed bug behavior.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52538874@N05/7318050308/http://www.flickr.com/photos/52538874@N05/7318050308/ If, you can kill the eggs at your bed, that is the key. If you determined heat treatment is too dangerous or expensive, now what ? The big picture is you have a ranch, your're raising Bed Bugs and using your bed as a corral. First, spray your bed or encase the bed to kill the eggs so you won't be overwhelmed. Second, Make sure there are no problems with your bed. Nothing about your bed can be allowed the touch the wall or floor, but the caster wheels. Third, the new corral for the Bed Bugs is a dim light going 24/7 where the Bed Bugs can be drawn to and removed with masking tape. Fourth, you spray the ceiling-wall line on two of the most distant walls from the dim light to move the Bed Bugs toward the light. Notes: Do not spray near the dim light or any other location, that will create a barrier to keep them from coming to the light. This dim light is most likely for life. As new Bed Bugs arrive at your home they will go to the light. Bed Bugs are drawn to you like Bees, by your Co2. A fan moving air near your bed will mix your Co2 evenly in your bedroom, making it hard for Bed Bugs to find you. Every other day a light spray on your bed caster wheels will protect you. Those in the Bed Bug business won't be needed anymore. Please beware of baised replies from them.This method seems to be the "Silver Bullet" for Bed Bugs. This lure will provide detection, control for the home and car. The poorest people will be able to handle their infestations. This DIY project can be done for a very small cost of parts. This is a very "Green" method. For all living places and whole house treatment, the hallways will become giant traps. The lights are there, a $5.00 dimmer switch is needed and spray. Lightly place DE on hall traffic areas where people put their foot down. Careful: My new kitten made a mistake, near the light. I moved the litter box there. Later I found a live Bed Bug in it. When the Bed Bugs stop coming to the light, they're gone, for now. If you have total control, you'll have complete relief. The Dim lights double for night lights and Bed Bug control. Bed Bugs are not exclusively Nocturnal. When light is used as a lure, this will lead to the downfall of Bed Bugs. Bed Bugs like darkness and subdued light. When you provide subdued light in the darkness they will go there.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 4:17:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm, I know you have been asked about this many times before but please can you provide other cases where this has worked before preying on those who are suffering and giving them false hopes.

I know you are trying to help people but without data you are actually doing harm.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 8:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Excuse me. Is there something new here that wasn't shared in prior posts on the same topic?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 8:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm cornering the dim lit bulb market and all bright ideas will have to go through me first.

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 12:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I had bed bugs. I slept with a dim light on at all times before, during and after my infestation. I'm afraid of the dark. Go ahead. Titter.

Allright, anecdotally, dim light had no effect on my bed bugs. They did not come out into the dim light, although I was terrified of the possibility. Nadda. If this worked, I would not have had enough bugs to start catching so many nymphs and instars in my bed. Please don't post this without data, please don't message this to people with real problems, without real proof it works.

You're confusing terrified, stressed, and/or exhausted people who are exceptionally vulnerable and just want their life back.

If you genuinely want to help them out of your compassionate nature, please refrain from promoting this as fact. It's not. Even if it appears to work for you, just stop. It may appear to work because they show up in the light and you kill those and then don't see anymore for a while, but that doesn't prove its the light that drew them out. I can't help but wonder if that just means your infestation is so big they are pushed out of the hiding spots into open space.

Stop, please.

6. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 14:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

This same person has been posting on my site (The Bed Bug Resource) too. I have also asked them to stop claiming that this is the silver bullet for bed bugs.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 15:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Cflower,

Please do not send private message promoting something we know does not work.

I would hate to think you prolonged someone's infestation, made it worse or gave them false hope.

The difference between your strategy and what the rest of are here to do is simple, we are here to help and you just think you are helping when you are not.

David

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 16:01:48
    #

Login to Send PM

9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 16:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

And you can also STOP private messaging me as I have already asked you to do. A flipping light bulb is not going to solve a bed bug problem .... I'm not a moron who will think otherwise!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 16:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ,

If they put as much effort into testing it in multiple sites they would realise it does not work. I must have seen hundreds of night lights in all my years and am yet to find any bedbugs attracted to them.

I say put up some multi site data or stop wasting everyone's time until you can.

David

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 17:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Host may I have permission to post a PM to the forum as I wish to make a very public reply to it.

David

12. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 21:42:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Stop PMing me too please.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 23:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I think posting someone's private message on the forum is generally a bad idea. If CFowler states here that it's okay with him, then it's fine with me.

If anyone private messages you after you ask them to stop (via PM-- because they may not see a forum post), please contact me via email or PM. Please do not delete the relevant messages from your inbox. Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 0:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

CFowler,

Taking off my admin hat, I now want to respond to your post.

Any one expert may say something we don't agree with (and they sometimes but don't always agree with one another-- which actually raises my confidence in them generally speaking).

However, if you have no respect for the wisdom the body of experts (and in some cases, well read laypeople), and for factual information known about bed bugs, then it may be time to move on. You can always start your own website. Try Wordpress.com.

The fact is, while the PMPs and entomolgists who participate here do perform services and sell products in many cases, they are not trying to hide a fine, cheap, easy solution for bed bugs, like running a dim light. It's not a solution because bed bugs are attracted to heat, co2, pheromones, kairomones, and maybe other things, but no other observer I know of claims they flock to light.

This has been pointed out to you multiple times and you have resisted the idea thoroughly. Like another poster above,I am concerned you may have quite a large problem with bed bugs, given the number you are seeing.

You were also quite insistent in PMs to me that bed bugs are not attracted to heat-- which they, in fact, are.

I hope you will do more reading and avail yourself
    of the knowledge of others win more extensive experience of bed bug behavior. At the very least, please do not claim that PMPs on the forums are correcting your posts out of a fear you will put them out of business. It's quite insulting and I can assure you that PMPs here routinely praise technologies and individuals which kill bed bugs-- even when they don't personally stand to gain.

For example, dryers are routinely recommended, and there isn't a Maytag or Haier salesman among us.

15. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 23:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My goodness ! All these replys and only one question mark.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 0:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

CFowler, here's my earlier comment restated as a question: will you permit David Cain to post the private message you sent him (quoted exactly) and respond to it here? That may actually spark a more productive discussion.

17. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 1:18:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Sorry Sure

18. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 1:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Some are saying "Noble Peace Prize"

19. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 1:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone, do this Google search. Bed Bugs+ Subdued light

20. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 1:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, Bed Bugs don't flock anywhere. They move so slowly, I have never seen one moving toward the light. I am only looking once every 24 hours. There they are motionless, shells pressed against the surface with their legs tucked under them.

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 4:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I was going to post the private memo I received which ended with this person accusing me of not supporting it because I have nothing to gain.

Well cfowler429 I have said to you in private message and in public there is a long path to walk between an idea and something that will help people. To help people you have to prove that this works and work in other peoples homes and not just yours. You need to prove why it works and how to make sure it works.

Non of this have you done, when challenged all you do it become rude and accuse people of slamming you because they cant profit from it which to be frank sounds like just about every other [name-calling deleted by admin] we get that sails in here declaring they have the solution only to have the errors in their approach pointed out.

Well just so you are clear I am not paid to be here, I do not generate money for myself or my company by being here, I don't charge for advice, I don't charge for insect ID's and I don't even charge to test devices and ideas if they are in the common interest.

I have worked on bedbugs for 11 years and exclusively on them since 2005.

I have politely told you that I have been in many homes with night lights and they do not attract bedbugs or not that I have seen in over 22,000 cases.

I think the tone of your posts says it all, I particularly liked "Some are saying "Noble Peace Prize" " would you care to share who these are? or are they just the voices in your head?

You have been told to do some experiments and provide proof without accusing people of all sorts and being rude at the same time. This to date you have failed to do.

Therefore I am drawing a line under this one and putting you in the same box as the other rabid [name-calling deleted by admin].

You think you are doing good but you are in fact doing harm as the hard working professionals who participate in this forum are not here to take insults from idiots like you. I mean please do you not think people have tested various intensity of light based devices at a range of the light spectrum on bedbugs already. Yes it is possible that you may have stumbled upon a solution but given your style of communication I very much doubt you have the focus of mind to be certain or to make anything come of it.

Please do not attempt to engage me on the forum or in private as you will only get an extremely rude response.

Prove it works with multiple site data or respectfully stop annoying people.

David

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 5:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

cfowler429 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Everyone, do this Google search. Bed Bugs+ Subdued light

CFowler,

You said this to me in a PM and so I humored you. As I told you, I found posts noting that bed bugs will feed in the dark or in subdued light.

As I said to you already, this is not the same as saying "light attracts bed bugs" which is the claim you're making that everyone is disagreeing with.

The fact that you aren't actually engaging with any of the responses you get suggests you aren't going to gain anything from
    dialoguing with others on this site and should perhaps move on.

23. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 17:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm not allowed to respond to Bed-Bugscouk. No questions except my "Noble Peace Prize". I will answer any question he has.

24. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 16:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, Maybe it the difference between our two countries. You make a bunch of lecture statements that I am supposed to change into questions? I'll try, I shouldn't have to work this hard. I'm a PCO as you are?
    bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 29 2012 19:51:47
    #

PM This User
    Flag Post for Moderation
    Hi,

Let me just start with:

GONG

And then don my tin foil hat for an explanation.

You assume that bedbugs will over time move to the source of heat. We as it happens there has been such a device on the market for some years. It's not considered effect and it's based on just heat and no other lure.

We know from research that the best lure for bedbugs is CO2 but sadly not even that will "trap out" all bedbugs and yes it's been tried and debated and done to death.

The reality is that people turn to professionals for many reasons. The main reason is in fact that in just the same way as a hairdresser, a surgeon, a lawyers and any number of other professions you bring experience to the table.

OK not all professionals have extensive experience or use the latest methods but if you select the right one for you then you effectively work in partnership to resolve the issue as efficiently as possible.

I am sorry if you feel your idea is being suppressed but one of the key reasons why people come to this website as a resource is for help and facts. Some of us and not frightened to say what is OL and what is not, what will work and what will fail.

Good ideas get supported but bad ones are quickly weeded out and dropped. It may not feel that way in your case but I still remember the first post from a bold inventor declaring a new solution that has stood the test of time and is now better know as PackTite.

And finally yes gentlemen the phrase dim has grown from the UK insult "as bright as a toc-h lamp" in reference to the blitz lanterns of WWII which threw out such low levels of illumination as to be a dim light.

It's a long path between an idea and a bedbug solution and it starts with testing, testing and testing in multiple locations and ideally multiple countries.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

RSS feed for this topic

Your first statement to me is Gong ? Is that a proper greeting ? Do I need for you to don a 'tin foil hat 'to talk with me? Will you convert your reply into questions? Regards, Charles Fowler DIY Bed Bugs (Los Angeles)

25. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 6:31:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Charles,

You lost the chance to have discussion when you were rude and accusatory to me and others.

If you want to post proof of efficacy on multiple sites discussion can open up again but frankly this will be my last reply to you until that stage.

I am here to help people who need it, the help you need I am not qualified to give.

David

26. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 15:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

After I sent the message explaining your future, you asked me not to talk to you anymore. The same thing happened to Mr. Bello. After I got your message I asked Mr. Bello not to take the same message personally as it was a public message for info only. I also asked Mr. Bello not to think it was rude of me. The message was (cut and paste) not personal.

27. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 15:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

As people use Subdued light reports will come in, watch the forum. The help I need will be the thanks of 7 billion people.

28. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 16:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

One smart fellow he felt smart.
    Two smart fellows they felt smart.
    Three smart fellows they felt smart.
    Four smart fellows they all felt smart.

29. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 16:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It's over MY head....

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 17:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Charles,

I have asked you not to message me, the ones you have sent are deleted unread, please don't waste even that small amount of my time again.

David

31. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 17:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Sory I'm just learning the site...As people use Subdued light reports will come in, watch the forum. The help I need will be the thanks of 7 billion people.

32. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 17:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

After I sent the message explaining your future, you asked me not to talk to you anymore. The same thing happened to Mr. Bello. After I got your message I asked Mr. Bello not to take the same message personally as it was a public message for info only. I also asked Mr. Bello not to think it was rude of me. The message was (cut and paste) not personal.

33. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 17:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

To Bed-Bugsco.uk Your Question about heat and Bed Bugs. At no time as the host of this site knows , have I never suggested that heat was a lure for Bed Bugs. Co2 and light only. I'm certain people are greatful for my experience. Yes, we'll have feedback from the World soon.

34. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 17:45:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Killer Queen, I to am a professional DIY BED BUGS Los Angeles. How about being nice and have a normal conversion. Charles

35. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Do-it-yourself implies that professionals are not involved. In fact, it's clear that there is no outside involvement in this solution. I don't hire someone when I do it myself.

36. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

A&S A professial still needs to guide people over the phone. Thanks

37. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

A&S professional- sorry

38. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:24:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. So you're a professional exterminator who intends to charge people for over the phone consultations while harassing the professionals on this site.

You're a troll at best, and I hope seriously no one takes up your advocated "treatment."

39. cfowler429

Banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the question, No's is the answer. Some professionals feel their services, like a Blacksmith, are going away. In the future, I hope you come back and thank me for continuing the fight for the people. Thanks, A&S I'm going to give you a scoop....I think heat treatments for killing Bed Bugs is no longer needed.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

297,214 posts in 50,140 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10