Stuck on the HW floor insecurity thing.

(6 posts)
  1. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 18:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I've been trying to be positive and move on these days and I think we're okay bugwise so far. But I'll tell you, it's getting to be a bit. There's alot of hang ups that I can't get over, but that's for another thread. So is the Santa thing...my daughter wants to see him and I fear it too much. Taking percautions such as changing clothes in the mall or something would make her nervous and upset. The night after my K9 inspection my daughter woke up about 4am crying saying that there were bugs in her bed. This freaked me out and of course I did a cleaning frenzy the next morning. She got back into bed and went to sleep w/o a problem. I hope it's just her overhearing the bbug talk in the past.
    Anyway.....about 4 wks ago we had our carpets pulled up and the HW flooring refinished.
    I figured it would be better and easier to see a bug if we got infested. I feel like I opened a pandora box because the floor is cracking in alot of places. I was basically told there's not much they can do due to age. I was putting wood puddy down and that's not holding so now I'm in the mist of using this tan vynal caulk. Alot of the cracks are thin, but so is that damn bug. I wonder if when people get bites for months and not see anything or any signs is because the bugs are in the cracks of the floor?
    I thought that pulling up the carpet was better but now I feel like I just gave those bugs a nice complex throughout the house to set up shop in. Then I think about putting carpet back down when we have the $$, but then I'm back to square one...
    Sorry to rant, but I feel like I could never have anyone here and feel safe that I would be able to catch an infestation early.
    I don't know what I was thinking in that these floors would seal like new. Blue Ox stated the last time I was fretting on this that the floors expand and move anyway...He/she stated that because I live in a single home it really doesn't matter. I don't get that? Can't the bugs just deeper infest any structure, in the walls, etc?
    I just wish I could get these floor more secure I guess. I thought about putting more poly down myself but I fear that w/o using that buffing machine I would ruin the floors or it would peal up or something.......Thanks for the ears and sorry to be a bit down on this one.

2. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 18:08:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I have hardwood floors, and am terrified of the cracks myself. But I wouldn't be if my PCO was dry steaming them. It's because he isn't (chosen by property management) that I am concerned. IMO, you're wayyyyyy better off with just the wood than carpet. You're going to have to have one or the other, and even if you had carpet, the wood would still be there underneath. HTH.

3. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 21:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I have old oak floors In bedrooms, hallways and living room, and there are just tons of cracks. Couldn't seal it right now, so as soon as I found bugs (middle of October), I bought a lot of food grade DE, threw some on the floor (wearing a mask), and then swept it all over, and it fell into the cracks. Then I swept the excess up that was still on the top boards. The DE is still in the cracks, (you can't see it of course) and I have not vacuumed it up. The DE is supposed to be good for years, and I am not allergic to it. Any bug that wants to go into the cracks to hide or lay eggs will fall into a good spattering of DE, and I am trusting all the good folk that say it works.

I drove out of town and bought a lot of DE at a farmers' supply store, and the smallest I could get was 50 pounds, enough for about 50 houses. Cost was only $27.00.

I have not found any bugs in the living room so far, so perhaps it is working. As well, at first, before the DE, I washed the floors with water and a lot Murphy's soap, let the water seep into the cracks a little, and then wiped the top so that the oak would not turn black.

I'm not sure if the DE is driving them further into the walls, but I also have DE along the baseboards, and my theory is that if they are coming out to bite, then they are crawling through the DE there too.

I'm not sure what sort of wood the floors are that you have, but Murphy's soap might be something you could try.

4. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 21:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Buggedmam and Bites44. After the Vikane treatment we have been keeping DE around the boarders of the rooms and under the beds. I vacuum about once a week and then lightly dust the DE again. (just percaution I guess)
    I washed the floors with Murphy's twice since the flooring was refinished about a month ago. I figured that would be the best thing for the floors anyway. These floors are oak as well.
    Have you ever seen a bug coming from the cracks or signs near them? I would hope to think that there would still be signs on the bed area first before they infest the floor. Thanks for the input.
    LIke Buggedmam said, between the two choices I the bare floors are better in the long run. Thanks

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 12:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I to am concerned about my wood floor. In my mind's eye I picture bbs having a good time under my floor, I once dreamed that I tore up all al my floors and found bbs. In reality I cannot do that so I still wonder. I used the same tactic that Bites44 has with the DE.

6. Kit

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 13:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paula. I thought I would chime in here since we have 100 year old fir floors in our upstairs that are in pretty poor shape (of course, I loved their "lived in look" when we bought the place). We've always suspected the floors and the baseboards/walls since our mattresses really haven't borne out signs of them. And, on his third visit, our PCO said he thought they were probably in/beneath the floorboards. This could support your theory that "...people get bites for months and not see anything or any signs..." That would be us. In any event, I do think DE is a very useful tool. We have used it from the getgo. However, I was under the impression that if you live in an area with higher humidity, you will need to change it every couple of weeks because it starts to retain moisture and become less effective. I could be wrong, but that's my approach (even though we live in a very arid place). I also believe it works because of the other bugs I have seen coated in it, and, very dead. So, have faith in the good old DE as part of a grander plan of bbug eradication. Really, it sounds like you are doing all the right things (i.e., Murphy's wash, vacuuming, reapplying DE). I hope you can take some solace from that, though I know it's difficult. I am greatly encouraged by your progress thus far. Take care.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14