Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Struggling Emotionally in Bad Situation.

(5 posts)
  1. Needhelpca

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 0:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I suffer from depression and anxiety and I wanted to reach out to this forum for some advice on dealing with a possible Bed Bug infestation emotionally.

I discovered Bed Bugs in my bedroom last OCT. They were in all of the classic areas around the bed. At the time I was in a deep depression and could not handle the situation so I drenched the bedroom with DE and never slept in the room again. I've been sleeping on the couch for the past year. It was a terrible way to deal with the situation, I know.

For the past year I have not noticed anything BB related. I did have a day where I woke up with two giant welts/bites on my neck but that was about it. I do have a lot of insect traffic in my apt. It's literally been a year later and all of a sudden I started to get aggressively bitten up on the couch. Even if I take a nap in the afternoon I'll feel something on me and wake up with a small bump. Now, I have moved to sleeping in a chair and I am getting bites there too. Tiny red bites about the face, tiny bumps on the hand and leg areas. I thought it could be fleas because my cat has been showing all of the classic signs (scratching/biting) and we have always slept close together on the couch. However, I haven't found any fleas on him although I did find a dead one I believe. I have been inspecting the couch and chair on the outsides and have not found any bugs in the classic areas. I did a brief search underneath/inside the furniture and although there are parts that are inaccessible because of the depth for the most part I have seen no staining or bugs; aside from one tiny, black bug that seemed glued to the wood. I had to scrape it off and it popped with a steak of blood. I get small orangish little drop like stains on the white fabric of the sofa but I don't know if it's from me sleeping and sweating on it on or if they are stains from Bed Bugs. I feel paranoid and confused. I noticed a small fresh - what appeared to be a darkish fecal drop that slightly smeared orangish when I rubbed it on the white fabric.

I have no money whatsoever to combat this right now. I just started a new job a week ago but it will be a few weeks before I can afford to do anything financially for this situation. I feel like I'm in hell having to sleep on a chair that is infested with "something". And it's making me extremely depressed with a lot of anxiety. I'm having a real hard time keeping a cool head.

Has anyone else been in a situation of not having $$ to combat a possible infestation? And did you have to sleep on your infested bed and furniture and deal with the situation? I would like to hear some experiences from others. Thank you.

2. eatenaliveindtla

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 1:14:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay strong.

I have read it is best not to vacate a room that is infested as the bed bugs will follow you into other areas of the home.

Keep at it with the DE and be smart and vigilant about your application.

Put all of your clothes in garbage bags. Dry everything on high heat.

I've been going through it myself. My landlord did nothing to help me.

I am fighting them too and cannot afford being held financially responsible for an exterminator so I know, at least partly, what you are going through.

My heart goes out to you and I urge you not to give up.

3. buggyak

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 3:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there. Have you thought about getting mattress encasements for your mattress and boxspring? A lot of folks where I live get bed bugs in their homes. It's more a matter of when than anything else, and our town is too remote for PCO to get here unless we fly them in -- which is stupid expensive.

Everyone I've talked to says the same things: Get mattress encasements, and smear vaseline on the legs of the bed frame so that new bugs can't get into the bed (and hopefully these steps can get you back into a bed). Use DE wherever you can. Vacuum daily. Put as much as you can through the dryer on high for at least 30 minutes. Clear up as much clutter as you can.

One thing that always helps me is knowing that bed bugs don't care if your house is clean or dirty. They'll go where there's a place to hide and a meal to have. You didn't get bed bugs from something you did. They just found a way in. Hang in there and stay strong!

4. SalsaVince

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 12:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, I I'm sorry that you are dealing with this on top of some of the other problems that you have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. I know that these pests can make depression even worse and be overwhelming. I would say the most important thing that you can do right now is to try to create a safe area in your home that you can take refuge in. That doesn't mean just moving to other rooms or Furniture as you have found out because that just makes the situation worse. I would start with the bed and the bedroom. Actually, the bed is one of the easiest things 2 protect in the house since it is usually pretty simply constructed and doesn't have a lot of nooks and crannies where they can hide, especially after the mattress has been encased. It also sits off of the floor and has limited accessibility for them. So I encourage you to read up on how to isolate your bed using cases and Interceptor traps on the feet. I would start by steaming or thoroughly cleaning your mattress box spring and linens, and bed frame. Wash and dry all Linens. Encase your mattress and box springs and put the bed feet in interceptors. For good measure, lightly dust cimexa in the legs and bed frame crevices and the baseboards near the bed. be sure to keep the sheets and blankets from touching the floor. After you do this, make sure you always wear clean recently washed clothes before getting into bed. Then, you should notice a dramatic decrease in how often you are bit in bed maybe even completely eliminating them there. You'll need to inspect it often to make sure they haven't gotten back on somehow but it should be easier with the cases. Once you do that, you will be amazed at how much better you feel knowing that you have at least one safe place that you can go in your apartment. Then you could start focusing on the other areas such as the living room. However, if you are in an apartment, I hope you have already notified the management about the problem so it can be addressed. They could be in other units and the sooner they know about it, the better the odds of trying to get rid of them. Your best chance will be having a professional spray a residual insecticide a couple of times across several weeks.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  5. Needhelpca

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 20 2018 22:01:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to everyone with their replies. One of the reasons I posted this was because I was looking for advice on how to cope when someone "doesn't" have the means or $$ to purchase bed protectors or couch protectors. I'm just getting back on my feet financially with a close bout of homelessness, and it will be about 3 weeks before I can afford anything like a protector, etc. I'm literally having to live off of 10$ a day right now. It's just a crappy situation all around.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982