Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Stressed! Will the treatment work?

(15 posts)
  1. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 17:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The story is long. About a month ago my youngest daughter started having some bad bug bite reactions. She even needed an antibiotic for one because it streaked from her palm to above her elbow. It's summer it's humid I didn't really think much about it. But she kept getting bit until we went to on vacation two weeks ago. No more bites and her skin heals up. We come home late last Friday. Get to bed at 2 am. I lay down with her in her bed and I get bit up! (First time I had gotten bit and she and my older daughter share a room but the older one was not getting bit) so then I can't sleep and keep stalking her with a flashlight. 4 am I catch it - a bug on her foot! Very tiny. Blood mark on the sheet when I squished it. So I bag it and call an exterminator first thing Saturday morning. The girls both sleep in my room Saturday night. No one gets bit. Pest guy comes Sunday and confirms my now worst nightmare- bed bugs my younger daughter's bed is ground zero. But he tells me on a scale of 1 to 10 10 the worst I am at a 1. He recommends chemical treatment only. Three treatments spaced two weeks apart then 30 days after that he comes back with his dog. Since it's only in their room I tell the girls it's spiders and have them stay in my room. I am sleeping in their room because if there isn't a host to feed on they will move out of that room to find one. I am getting bit up and I have horrible welt reactions but the girls are fine and that's the most important thing. But I'm losing my mind seriously going crazy. The internet is full of horror stories about people that fight these and can't win. I can't live like that. I want to burn the house that I used to love so much to the ground. I am so worried this won't work. My pco is very optimistic I wish I shared that with him. He told me that after the first treatment I might see some more activity and boy was he right. I have gotten so bit up. My left hand looks crazy. I've never experienced anxiety like this before.

2. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 17:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If there is anyone who is starting out that would like to join me I could use the company!

3. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 19:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello anxiety! Sorry to hear about your situation. After my scare (unconfirmed, unreliable landlord so I moved) several months ago, my anxiety has yet to subside, so I very much understand how you feel and want you to know that you're not alone. And it sounds like you're doing everything right. Knowing what you're up against is half the battle!

Keep listening to your PCO. If you know what chemicals he used, you can post that here and an expert may be able to let you know more about them. The 3 sprays every 2 weeks sounds right on. Looking into monitoring methods for after the fact will be helpful as well.

It's good you caught this early, so you should get through this quickly. Stay strong.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  4. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 19:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response! This problem is so isolating. I'm worried my dad won't even come visit for my daughters birthday in December out of fear! I noticed my pco has a service of bringing his dog in monthly or quarterly for preventive. I might need that just to regain my sanity! I am kind of surprised how stressed these bugs have me. My pco said I only had to dry anything on or around the beds - that I didn't have to empty closets or dressers. I did all the stuffed animals and left them bagged until this is over (much to the dismay of 6 year old.

Pco could find no evidence they had left the bedroom. But I feel like they are crawling on me 24/7. And going to bed as bait every night is crazy! I had another house with mouse infestation and in college roaches. Would gladly trade for either of those now!

5. Blackheart

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 19:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there Myworst, had this happen 5 years ago, and thought I'd never experience it again.... but here I am yet again

I had a rash about a week ago and decided to face my fears, and shit yep they were on my box spring (my mattress was encased and new five years ago)..... I am small but got nuts and flipped the mattress off.... no bugs on the mattress, but the box spring there were. Killed off everything moving with bug powder and an hour later summoned my courage and went in with a spray bottle of alcohol.

Nothing is moving in there now, but there is no way I'm going to sleep in there, nerves are shot ... hang in, I'm trying to, not easy I know.

Sam..xxx

6. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 19:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It can be very isolating indeed, but it will end. I am also considering using a dog for a "peace of mind" sweep because my anxiety has gotten so out of hand. Seeking temporary therapy can be helpful for managing the stress, fear and isolation.

7. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:03:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you are experiencing this twice! I didn't try anything myself I was too scared! I will keep sleeping in there only because I really want to spare my daughters. The mom guilt I feel that my youngest was bit for three weeks is awful.. and she's all cleared up now so I want to try and keep her that way! I am not sure if I will ever go to the movies or stay at a hotel or check a book out from the library again! Definitely no yard sales or second hand stores. This really makes you crazy!

8. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nomore- I am considering therapy! I told my pco he should have one on staff cause I'd pay for that!

9. Blackheart

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I figure I've faced so many scary things in life, I will defeat this as well.... I can't count on anyone, I've been let down too much lately. Orkin is scheduled to come next week, till then I am a lone warrior..

I don't feel funny, but if I let this consume me I will go crazy, last time I thought I'd have to be committed... seriously it can take you down if you let it, just don't let it....

10. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Blackheart- I can see how it could get that bad - easily. If I'm still getting bit like this after the second treatment I don't know what I will do. I was hoping after that one I can put the girls back in their room. So we have some sense of normalcy when school starts. I wish I had a crystal ball! It's the uncertainties and all the stories of failed treatments that really give me anxiety!

11. Blackheart

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I know exactly how you feel, I've sedated myself just a little tonight, whatever gets you through the night ..... It will be over soon, you just have to hang in there!

I'm a mom too, so I understand how you feel about protecting your girls... it will be fine, just stick with the program.

12. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 20:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It's easy to get caught up in the horror stories. I know I did. But here's the thing: there are only a handful of horror stories and many, many more stories that end with treatment and the posters are not heard from again. Hopefully, anyway. Sorry you're back Blackheart!

Many horror stories also have some other factors at play too like failed self-treatment, inadequate landlord responsiveness, re-introduction from an outside source or something else. I always keep that in mind.

Your PCO sounds competent and I like that he comes back with the dog, though I would probably get a second dog inspection from another company to corroborate. Does he offer a guarantee too?

13. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 21:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Nomore- there is not a guarantee but he will do a 4th treatment if the dog alerts. All those things you said about the making of the horror stories- I keep trying to tell myself that! And the pco could have sold me the heat treatment. I would have paid for it! What a vulnerable client base he has! But he said chemical would be fine and he's really optimistic that things will be good after the second treatment (working on the assumption there are eggs still to hatch) I just really really hope he is right! He is super responsive and very knowledgeable and did a thorough inspection. All his reviews are five stars. I'm hoping for the best!

14. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 5 2017 21:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Blackheart- yes it's one thing to have to deal with theses myself but the thought of these little suckers waiting for my babies to go to sleep is just too much!

15. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 6 2017 18:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Blackheart-since I am obsessed with this current situation I have read a lot of old posts on this site. I came upon the support group thread you participated in during your first battle with these evil bugs. Would love to start something similar for the extra moral support!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123