Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Stressed out college student w/ bed bug infestation. Is this just the beginning?

(3 posts)
  1. DeeRandolph

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 1:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

July 31, 2017 I moved into my first apartment with one of my friends that I had previously lived with in my sorority house. We got along great and we never had any problems. Unfortunately though she is a year older than me so she graduate in December. We had a 10 month lease and we agreed if she could not find a sublease she’d pay her part of rent until May and I would pay all the utilities.

So fast forward to November she lands a job out of state. Which was exciting but she had to leave in January and she couldn’t find a sublease. So her boyfriend approached me and asked how would I feel if he finished out the lease for her and payed rent. He had pretty much been living there at this point because she was leaving and they wanted to spend as much time together as possible. I really couldn’t say we were friends; he was nice, he took out the trash, he would sober drive when we went out, and he was splitting utilities with us three ways the 2 months he was there constantly. So I figure what the hey! We get along now and it is only 5 months.

Fast foward she moves out he moves in officially. My friends and family warned me about this living arrangement but I didn’t listen. I mean my freshman year I had 5 suitemate and in my sorority house I shared a ROOM with 3 girls and a bathroom with 20. I mean if can live in house with 50 girls, why couldn’t I fucking live in a 2 br apartments with a grown man! Blame it on me being 20 and dumb. But lesson learned you have to be careful who you live with. Moral of the story he was disgusting!!! Cat litter in the half bath in his room on the bathroom floor from a cat he hid in our apartment for months! Multiple bags of trash filled with food on the floor in the room. He never clean the bathrooms or the kitchen. It got to the point were I was washing his dishes, taking out his trash, and throwing away his expired milk and meat in the fridge. And I did this all without complaint because I had to take responsibility for agreeing to live with someone I really did not know and had no business living with.

So you guys are probably wondering were the bed bugs come in. Well it’s June and time for him to go! So he got his stuff and start moving out but he did not want to take the furniture in his room. I told him to get rid of it I have a new roommate and she has her own stuff. Side note new roommate is a girl from my hometown who I went to high school she tried to be my roommates sublease but her lease was not up until July.

So he got all the furniture out moved out and left the key! So my new roommate obviously comes over to start moving stuff in she leaves it in the living room thank god! And we start cleaning his room because he moved everything out and left it filthy. In this process she saw a spider she freaks out and decides to bomb. I’m from Missouri and we have a lot of land so I’m use to little critters and bombing. We bombed our house once a year growing up and never had a pest issues. So when she suggest it I didn’t even flitch. So she bombs and she leaves. We are both taking summer classses and working so she gets busy and does not come back to finish moving stuff in, she doesn’t move back in until 07/31.

So three weeks past I’m enjoying my apartment to myself and I get call from apartment stating they are doing a routine pest inspection. This is at 10 am and I’m in class. I get another call at noon and I am informed by my ll that evidence of bed bugs had been discovered in my apartment. I freak out rush to the leasing office. So a brief breakdown the bug bomb cause the bugs that were in his room to scatter to my upstairs neighbor she reported them. while checking all surrounding units they came across the back room he lived which was the obvious source of the problem and it’s believed they’ve been there for MONTHS. Luckily the bomb did impact me. They found a few dead one behind my headboard but it looks like I got lucky and they were basically in the back room and my neighbors room above that room.

In my lease all general infestations are covered by the apartment except bed bugs that didn’t come from the property. Their philosophy the bugs were not there when you moved in therefore the cost falls on you. Which is completely fair and my ll has been great with prep, info, & getting a reputable PCO in here. So to treat the two apartments the cost is $1300. Yes, 1 3 0 0 dollars. I have decent part time bank job but to pay that all on top of rent, books, groceries, gas, etc... I kind of freaked out. This guy I lived has no liability or any reason to care because he never on the lease. And the responsibility falls completely on me and my new roommate that has not even moved in. (Side note I told her about the bugs and offered to get her out of the lease if she did not fill comfortable living here. She’s been great about everything, she still wants to live here, and she has been helping me prep).

Through this whole ordeal I haven’t been biten and I have not seen a bug or blood/fecal residue that accompanies these bugs. I have been sleeping with light on and Ive flipped my materess upside down and still I’ve found nothing.

On Monday the PCO came and did a heat treatment and I washed all of the clothes I owned. Tossed my bedding and pillows and got new ones. I also got a mattress encasement. PCO said treatment went great and he will be back in 3 weeks to reinspect. I asked about my neighbor apparently she was suppose to be treated the previous Friday but she had not prepped but he felt her infestation was mild at best and the would treat her next week since they were booked all week. He stated I was good to go and I could start unpacking and reinfestation has a low chance of happened in these conditions considering how isolated the issue was and how quickly they caught my neighbor la issue. I swear I could kiss this lady for being so quick to identify the problem even though she is joking around about prepping. But she has kids and full time job so I’m not mad at her for not being able to prep in 24 hrs it took me a whole weekend to prep my apartment.

It’s been 7 days since my treatment and I’m breakout really bad on my face and back. Which could be acne which I’m prone to get. But I start to think what if these pimples are actually bites! I also have a bite on my right foot and my left calve that I got outside from a mosquito. But I’m thinking what if it wasnt a mosquito and I got bit my a bed bug in my car. I search my room again nothing and called my ll to clarify as to were these bugs were actually found. She stated that my room was not infested and even on the off chance it was they treated the entire apartment to make sure. So here we are at 23:47 me typing on this forum wondering. Are the pimples on my face and back actually bites and are these bugs in my room now. My friends think I’m being parinod and that they are gone. But I feel like this just to easy and that the battle had just begun.

I’m also going home the week for my birthday and on the chance I still have them what precaution can I take not infest my dads home. Also I reached out my original roommate the girlfriend of the guy that brought them into my apartment and she agreed to pay me $700 to treat our apartment and I pay the $600 for the neighbors since my new roommate bombed and spread them. And even though that some bullshit since the bugs being there in the first place is why they spread this is apart of being an adult so ill bite the bullet hell $600 is better than $1300. I’ll take my blessing where I can get them.

Sorry for the long post I just had questions and I needed to rant. While my new roommate has helped with this a lot I still feel alone and overwhelmed. My friends and family are sick of talking about this with me because they feel since I haven’t seen one I’m being dramatic. And the guy that brought them here has just admitted that he’s been itching and his moms house has bed bugs for while but didn’t feel the need to tell me which is fucked up. I honestly feel like he knew they were in his room and just didn’t say anything and that what makes me mad.

I know bed bugs don’t descrimate clean or dirty as long as there is blood the bugs are ready to nest and digest. But your mother has bed bugs you spent the night there and lived here for months. You started itching and getting bites and felt no need to inform me.

I have been in constant state of rage for the past week and just bombed the final for my summer class because I couldn’t sleep( I had a 94 the whole semester bombed the final with a D and mused the last quiz that was 20 point because I had to prep. But I passed the class with a 81 so again I’ll take my blessings where I get them). I just now realize while writing this being angry at him is not going solve anything and my situation could be much worse the bugs could have been all over my room and living room. Also my new roommate could have moved got vigorously devoured and the infestation could have got worse. So I’m going stay positive and call the PCO Tuesday after they treat neighbor.

Again sorry for the long story that went off on numerous tangents. The two questions
    1. Acne or bites? Should be worried they are still here
    2. If they are here how to NOT spread them to my car and child home when I go)

Thanks!

P.S excuse any typos currently typing on an iPhone at 00:10 with all the lights on in my house. While laying in my bed having a pretty bad anxiety attack.

2. Stressedbugmom

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 2:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m older than you,but I wrote the last post about a newly discovered infestatoin and I feel your pain!

Could the acne be from stress or going nuts cleaning without showering in the summer? I did that today and lo and behold, I’m broken out on my chest. Stress acne and sweat acne have always been a thing for me, but I find if I alternate salicylic acid at night with an AHA in the morning it does clear up quickly.

I have work travel this week and next. Husband actually went and bought me a new suitcase, which is sitting on our back patio. I washed and or dried on high the clothes I’m bringing, put them in gallon ziplocks and took them right out there, I sprayed the shoes I’m taking outside with a pesticide and immediately wrapped them in a garbage bag and sealed it. That’s what my pco recommended. I hope it works. Our infestation seems small but holy hell we did a lot of laundry today.

On the stress.... I remember in college I bombed a huge test because of stress with our landlord. It was horrible. Now I have a two big presentations this week and next at work followed by being MOH at my sisters wedding..... guess I’ll be winging that speech. I don’t see much sleep in my future :(. Anyhow, wanted to commiserate.

3. DeeRandolph

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 2:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips! I’m definitely going to buy a new suitcase or duffle bag before I go home. I didn’t really think about my shoes so I’ll definitely go pick up some spray and hose them down and put them in a bag. As for the acne you hit it on the nail w/ the stress and the summer heat all the sweat it brings could be causing the acne! I’m just paranoid, I know I already went through a full heat treatment, but I just feel like this isn’t over even though the only reason I feel this way is because of some bumps that may very well me acne.

I read your post as well and I’m sorry about your house! Seems like you caught it soon and hope you get the issue resolved quick. I’m sure sure the stress I feel doesn’t even come close to the stress you are undergoing. 4000 sq ft, kids, a husband, and business trips to attend I cannot even imagine how much is going through your head. I hope that PCO gets to your home and freaking obliterates those little critters. And hope your presentations go well for work. As for your sisters wedding I find that I give my best speeches from the heart so winging it might not go as bad as you think!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,376 posts in 46,780 topics over 142 months by 20,642 of 21,536 members. Latest: dhoomkethu619, Sybert224, Cannotdeal