Storing items for 1 year+....safe?

(10 posts)
  1. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2016 16:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatment is next week and we are prepping and storing all items, however for things I can not "treat" - (books, paper items) - can I store these items for 1 year+ in my attic (more likely, 2 years) and consider them safe to remove at that point?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2016 16:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Look into using Nuvan strips in a bag. Depending on how bad your situation is, if there are items that have been stored up off the floor, they may only need to be visually inspected.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2016 16:52:19
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Look into using Nuvan strips in a bag. Depending on how bad your situation is, if there are items that have been stored up off the floor, they may only need to be visually inspected.

Our PCO is allowing us to put one tote in each room for a nuvan strip inside, however they can only be 1/4 full so not much will go in. My kids have a lot of books/legos/games.

4. anxiety13

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 13:59:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping to see if anyone has had success with this method....

5. SleeplessinATL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 15:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

We put all our books in black plastic bags and left them in the garage for about 45 days (hot!). I am unpacking them outside and thouroghly going through the books prior to returning them to our home - this was overall more precautionary as we didn't find bugs in all our books (but we did on some that were under the infested bed). We also used the bins with the Nuvan strips - I believe you can change out the contents of the bins every 7-10 days so you can treat more items - we've done that with shoes, purses, etc - again really inspecting them prior to return to normal places. For us, so far so good with these two approaches.

6. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 18:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I added a tag to your post: look for the 'starvation' tag at the upper right, bottom of the header info area. Click it to get a list of every post that has had that tag on it before, they all discuss how long a bedbug can survive without food.
    fwiw, the rule of thumb 6 years ago was 18 months with no food, although the expectation was that most would actually die far sooner. For gory details, read the old posts.

7. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 21:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

You could try poisoning the air around it.

8. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 22:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Meowgoesthecat - 9 seconds ago  » 
    You could try poisoning the air around it.

Edit: sounded stupid as is.

"You could get someone to poison the air around it"

Very dangerous to do yourself. And by poison I meant co2 poisoning

9. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 22:26:29
    #

Login to Send PM

My kids Legos, Bionicles, anything that was plastic and not hollow or electronic went into the bathtub with a Clorox bleach mixture and boiling hot water. I kept my windows open, fan on, and used the Clorox suggestion... "Disinfect washable colorfast plastic toys with a solution of ½ cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Soak for 5 minutes, rinse and air dry." (From their website.) I boiled water on the stove, filled the tub, dumped toys in, dumped the amount of bleach in, and stirred with a plastic hangar. Hope that helps free up tote space. Worked beautifully. Just rinse soooooooo good with cold to avoid dumping bleachwater anywhere else.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  10. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 23:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a few "hot" items that could only be dealt with via the starvation method, when I went through this two years ago. Didn't touch them for two years. They stayed sealed in ziplock bags, or contractor bags that were doubled, ziplock-tied, and taped for good measure.

Now my recently-deceased Dad's genealogy records are getting the same treatment, because the storage shed where his stuff had been for a month also contained his old, badly infested mattress and box spring from some months ago. (Dad would never let us help him with stuff like that...once he did move, he left the bugs behind.) I could seriously see the extent of the infestation in the fecal markings.

Anyways, I promptly went into prevention mode. Plastic sealed tote, double-bagged in contractor bags,, ziplock-tied on both of them, and end thoroughly taped shut. It will remain that way for two years further. The clothes I wore were sealed away until they could be washed. Any other belongings of his that were not of critical importance (family documents, photos, etc) were taken to the dump, and I had to give all my sibs Prevention 101.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,581 posts in 46,607 topics over 142 months by 20,556 of 21,424 members. Latest: Me33, csinsdca, Takeabreath415