Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Storage? Where are we now?

(4 posts)
  1. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2012 17:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I put stuff in storage last October. It was climate controlled to 55ish degrees. Most everything was packtited, sealed in ziplocks. The sealed ziplocks are stored in plastic bins taped shut.

How long should I leave them in there? Last fall, people will still staying 18 months, but I've seen allusions to less time.

Can I get stuff out soon without losing my mind? (Probably not.)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2012 23:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if there's any recent data on how long bed bugs can live at 55F (13C).

As Doug notes in one of his many useful
    posts on temperatures and lifespan in this thread, the studies showing they could survive 18 months at 10C (50F) were done in the 30s, before pesticide resistance was so common. They probably don't live as long now, but they do live
    longer in cooler temps than warmer temps.

Then, of course, we don't know how much time a sealed ziploc would take off of their lives. Probably something.

Problem is, after all this time, I'm sure you want to be sure.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 8:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, and financially I need to downsize my unit and move to a more affordable storage facilty.

So it's really more a question of whether I want to garbage what doesn't fit.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:46:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe could ask Paul Bello for advice on using DDVP inside the ziplocs, just to be sure?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10