Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

stinging when bitten

(16 posts)
  1. allinmyhead

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Sep 9 2008 9:00:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I'm not sure I have bedbugs (no signs on mattress, sticky tape). I'm being bitten and have a question about the bites:

in 2 recent incidents, once on couch at 9pm and once in bed in early a.m., I got a stinging sensation (on the couch, I could feel the pincers of the jaw) that led to welts/bite marks. The welts/bite marks fade in a day or two.

I've read the FAQs and forum questions here, but haven't seen this addressed--is this a bedbug bite? I haven't seen mention of a stinging feeling or feeling the bug's jaws.

Also, the other night I was on my second couch (which I feel is clean, though who knows...), took a shower, came back to the couch--and felt a stinging on my arm and suddenly 3 welts appeared. White bumps, the largest has a small raised center.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. onemadrssn

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Sep 9 2008 9:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

this actually sounds like a spider bite to me. spider bites typically have a white bumps.

3. allinmyhead

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 14 2009 7:50:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had the same experience myself a couple of times -- a little freaky, to feel pincers going into your but, and then a hot liquid injected in (no, I wasn't abducted by aliens! honest!).

But the BB inspector who came to my house today confirmed that it's not BBs--they're much more discreet than that!

4. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 0:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

But don't small bb bites hurt? I experience the pinching bites all the time in my kitchen where there seem to be not full grown bb all the time (borders infested neighbors wall) and they hurt like hell. Little pinches. PCO (right, I know...) said because they are undeveloped they just try to get a bite as they don't have "tubes" yet. It made sense, and sometimes, he said, they have to try several times to get a drop of blood, so bitey bitey.

PCO's what say you here? Thanks. It's a bad night at home.

Portland, OR

5. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 6:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The little pinches are real; I've gotten them and so have others on this site. I hadn't heard of the immature proboscus as an explanation for them; in fact I've never heard/read of any viable explanation. Don't believe everything a PCO says. I would prefer an entymologist proffer an explanation.

Stuff your pant legs into socks when in the kitchen.

Sorry that you are having to go through this.

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 16 2009 10:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO (right, I know...) said because they are undeveloped they just try to get a bite as they don't have "tubes" yet. It made sense, and sometimes, he said, they have to try several times to get a drop of blood, so bitey bitey.

That sounds silly... mouthparts are the same in nymphs and adults, and they both have "tubes".
    If there are no signs of bedbugs and the bites are painful, they may be from spider or betilid wasps.

7. LVK9

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 16 2009 10:52:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Having to feed my colony of Bed Bugs I have found that:
    1: Yes I can feel them when they start to feed.
    2: I feel them more when they feed on more sensitive parts like my inner forearm VS the back of my hand.

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 16 2009 12:59:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'm doing the same and I agree with you. I saw that a single bite is painless, but when I feed my colony, at least 50-60 young nymphs bite me at the same time, in a little area of my arms, and the feeling is similar to be caressed with a nettle.
    Thank's God, I have no reactions to bites, but feeding the colony is unpleasant...

9. sickandtired

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 16 2009 14:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

So, LVK9 and EffeCi... Are you entomologists? Could you answer a question for me please?

After having BBs 10 months ago in another apt., then moving 8 months ago, I've continued seeing red welt-like marks on my chest/back a few times a week. I feel crawling sensations in the evening, mostly at my computer. Sometimes I feel the pinching sensation described here by the original poster. But I usually notice the red marks when I wake up in the morning, and it's usually on my chest under my t-shirt or pajamas, or around the bra area, under my braline.

I'm wondering, isn't it abnormal to get BB bites only on your chest/back, underneath clothing? Would that more likely be something OTHER than a BB?

I've had 2 different K9 dogs inspect my new place, to reassure myself that I didn't move any BBs with me, and I got an all-clear from both of them. But I'm still seeing these red marks/ welts regularly and it really has me baffled. Could you describe another kind of mite or bug this could possibly be? I did find two tiny little bugs that seem like they could be mites, but I don't know how to ID them. If I'm not seeing any traditional signs of BBugs, how do I inspect and identify what IS biting me? Do things like alcohol/DE/laundering/vacumming work on mites as well as BBs? Will I EVER GET RID OF WHATEVER IS BITING ME?!?!

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

10. LVK9

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 16 2009 18:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

sickandtired, no I am not an entomologist. The sensation of crawling / biting bugs happens to me also. I think its that fact that I am around bed bugs everyday my mind plays tricks on me, I don't have a scientific answer though. As for the red marks you are seeing I think that David Cain posted information on the allergic reactions that carpet beetle larvae can cause to some people, or possible psocids?

11. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Apr 17 2009 2:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I am an entomologist, but there are no sure answers I can give you.
    Bedbugs may bite under shirt or pajama, but they usually don't do it, preferring exposed skin.
    If you have bites only or mostly on unexposed skin, I suppose they're not from BB.
    They may be allergic reactions to:
    - dust mites
    - woodworm mites (Pyemotes ventricosus, it bites humans)
    - Betilid (woodworm parasite wasp) stings
    - hairs of carpet beetle larvae (they're hook ended)
    - other arthropods
    - detergents
    - something else I can't guess
    I think that a microscopial analysis of domestic dust (or an allergenic test) may evenctually help you to focus a possible cause of bites.

Hope it may help you
    Franco

12. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 17:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone find long scracthes on their bodies and not sure where they come from? I keep finding these weird long scratches on my face, arms, butt. Sometimes I see little bites right on the line of the scratch and other times I'm not sure.

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 18:00:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it be your skin is so sensitive that the bug just walking on your triggers a reaction?
    Imagine a BB feeds then walks across a fair length of your skin getting away. It would drag it's abdomen across your skin and, hypothetically, trigger a reaction along the path.

Jim

14. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 25 2009 22:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Until this BB experience I have never had random scratches on my face. People are always asking me now why I have scratches and I have been having to make things up. I have even have had folks asked me if I have cats which I don't!! We are so desperate that we are now considering just leaving our home and moving to an apartment until we can get rid of the BB. When we bring it up my son becomes very upset....I don't see any other way out of this. We have
    thrown out almost all of our furniture. We have a very old house with loads of good hiding spots for BB.

15. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 14:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a *super* old thread and I'm aware that many past posters won't see this. BUT for anyone else reading this and wondering about the red scratches:

I conducted an experiment this week after seeing these red scratches on myself, also wondering if it was a walking trail. On 3 consecutive days, I circled a part of my arm in Sharpie and proceeded to scratch my skin within the circle using my fingernail.

Within 30 minutes of the scratch, big raised scratches appeared in the Sharpie circles. What I think is that the BB bites have my body in such a histamine fit, I'm over-reacting to every stimulation.

For me, this was actually somewhat comforting to think I'm not just being walked all over by BBs all day long. If it's helpful information to anyone else or you want to try the experiment on yourself, cool.

16. Itsgoingtobefine

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Nov 14 2018 15:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wake up with scratches. I have always had an issue with scratching myself when u sleep, and since im asleep i cant really cntrol it and it becomes quite aggressive. However when i got bbs, and dreamt a lot about them, the scratching intensified. That + i was scratching my existing bites in my sleep. So what im saying is: i think we are just nervous wrecks who scratch ourselves in our sleep

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,536 posts in 48,139 topics over 149 months by 21,209 of 21,563 members. Latest: John0094, Samworriesaboutbedbugs, thebooklouse