Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Still seeing bites but absolutely no sign of bugs. Freaking out, again. HELP.

(2 posts)
  1. cstone0107

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 11 2013 11:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So a few weeks ago I found a single live bed bug crawling across my bed, I freaked out, killed it, and showed it to my mom when she got home to identify it. We suspected that I may have just brought it home from work, since lately there's been an infestation of bed bugs there. But just to be safe, we completely stripped my bed and looked everywhere. Along the edges of the mattress, under the box spring and around it, under the mattress, along the wall, even in and around the head board and the screw holes.

We saw absolutely nothing. No live bugs, no poop, no blood stains, no dead bugs, no babies, no adults...nothing. We bought a spray from the local hardware store, and sprayed everywhere we could just to be sure.

We also bought bed bug traps that you're supposed to place under the mattress, and they catch them to let you know if you have an infestation. They've been there for several weeks now, and I check them every day, and yet; absolutely nothing. Even when I lift up my mattress, nothing scatters.

Now since all this happened and we found nothing, my worries have been eased slightly. I thought "Well maybe I just picked up a straggler from work and brought him home, and that was it." The bed bug was also definitely male, so no eggs would have been laid.

Butttttt. I woke up this morning with several bites scattered around my body. They're red, and itchy, and scattered mainly up and down my arms. They're not in any sort of pattern or line though, just completely random, and I've heard that bed bugs like to bite in a line.

So, as you can imagine...I'm freaking out. I simply don't understand where they can be coming from if we've searched my room and around my bed several times, and haven't found anything.

Though, there could be another possible reason; fleas.

Recently my cousins got a new puppy, a cute little pug, and she spends most of her time outside. She's never physically been in my room with me, but she's a snuggler, and when I'm upstairs she's normally all over me. Wanting me to hold her and wanting to sleep on me, so I let her. Recently I've been noticing that she's itching her neck A LOT. Like she'll be running around playing, then she'll stop, itch her neck like a maniac, start running again, stop a few minutes later, do the same thing, and so on and so forth. It's always mainly her neck area.

So, now for my questions:
    1. What could be biting me? Fleas or bed bugs? Or both?
    2. What can I do to better search for bed bugs?
    3. What's your opinion of what's been happening to me?
    4. WHAT DO I DO???!!!

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 11 2013 12:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

cstone0107 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    We also bought bed bug traps that you're supposed to place under the mattress, and they catch them to let you know if you have an infestation. They've been there for several weeks now, and I check them every day, and yet; absolutely nothing.

According to most of the experts on this forum, those traps don't work.

The bed bug was also definitely male, so no eggs would have been laid.

You know it was definitely a male?! It usually takes one of the experts on the forum to be able to ID a male from female. If, perhaps, you are thinking it was a male because it was "longer" than the female pictures you have seen on line? . . . I believe both males and females elongate when they have fed. If that's not the reason, then Wow! Your good!

Butttttt. I woke up this morning with several bites scattered around my body. They're red, and itchy, and scattered mainly up and down my arms. They're not in any sort of pattern or line though, just completely random, and I've heard that bed bugs like to bite in a line.

That is a myth, just as the breakfast, lunch, dinner pattern is a myth. Can they bite in a line? There have been posters that say yes. Do they always? No.

Though, there could be another possible reason; fleas.

Here's the FAQ on how to detect for fleas. I have five of the Ultimate Flea Traps and I LOVE them! They catch all sorts of bugs!!

http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

1. What could be biting me? Fleas or bed bugs? Or both?

Could be fleas, could be bed bugs, could be both. Try to rule out fleas first.

2. What can I do to better search for bed bugs?

If you keep getting "bites" rule out fleas, keep searching, and you could try searching the box spring more thoroughly . . . meaning lifting it up, removing the dust cover and search inside very thoroughly and behind those plastic corner thingys.

4. WHAT DO I DO???!!!

My opinion is rule out fleas, get the BB Alert passive monitor for your bed or the climb up interceptors. And/or hire a professional PCO for an inspection.

If you say your work still has an infestation, you could be getting bit at work. Is your work still infested? Do you take the "extra" set of clothes in a zip loc bag as I previously suggested?

I am not an expert and all of the above is my opinion only!

Good luck!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me