(8 posts)
  1. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2009 18:11:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

New here, but have been lurking for quite some time. Sorry so long but I am very upset about recent developments in our fight against these monsters!!! Here goes:
    We live in a two-family house. We believe we were exposed in late October, when my son slept over at a house where we later found out there were bedbugs. We found out in early November when our friend called us and we started inspecting our apartment weekly and found nothing. At the end of November, my brother-in-law spent the night and slept in my son's room in the foldout couch. One day later, he said he had a strange rash; by the next day he had a horrible reaction and his eyes were swollen shut. He had about 30-40 bites on his body. We immediately had a company come with a canine and they detected the scent in the sofabed in my son's room and in one of the dressers in our room. Nothing in the beds.

We had our first treatment on 12/12/08 and they used Phantom and Gentrol and they treated all rooms: sprayed the bedframes, the dressers, the sofabed, the carpets in the bedrooms, the closets, the perimeter of the entire apartment, and the upholstered furniture in the living room. We emptied all dresser drawers and closets, removed our curtains and bed linined and washed everything in hot water and dried for an hour on high. We then put everything in ziplocs and still have all fabric items packed up. We had to delay our second treatment b/c our cat was dying, so we had that on 1/29. The PCO we use only treats every 30 days. The company that used the canine and our current PCO all did a visual inspection. To date, we've had a total of three, and we have also been inspecting weekly and never saw any evidence, or any dead or live bugs. Also, throughout all of this none of us have experienced bites, although we might not just react to them.

After the final treatment on 1/29/09, they said they were confident that the BBs were gone and that we could unpack if we did not see any signs in two weeks. Well, yesterday my son woke up with 5 red bumps on this chest. Three looked like pimples in straight line, and hives across from the line. They do not itch. My husband check our son's room and found a dead adult in the corner, by where the carpet meets the floor, under his loft bed. My PCO is going to put down monitors tomorrow and they are coming back for a third treatment on Monday. He says that at this point, we should not be finding newly-dead adults.

I don't know what we are doing wrong!! Should we get rid of the sofabed, could they be in there? We have waited b/c we are scared of spreading them when we take it out the front door. Could it be b/c our downstairs neighbors haven't been treated? Based on the fact that no one found any evidence all PCOs told us they thought we had a very mild infestation. None of them suggested having the downstairs apartment treated. Our PCOs only spray poison, they don't use any toher method. Should we use another company? They were recommended by our downstairs neighbors b/c they helped their best friends get rid of their BB issue.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 0:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a lot wrong with the picture & I could spend a lifetime typing about it. Don't think a Bed Bug will walk up on a glue monitor as they will smell the glue and avoid it. Yes you can get lucky catching one... but if they are going to only use them to figure out what is going on ... they need to do more.

I have just found out that there is like one glue in like 3000 types that they will not detect. And you will not be getting this on a glue monitor. I'm sure the numbers are off but this is what I was told from a company who makes the monitors.

I can't tell you about your sofa, but you could rap the sofa in plastic and take it out of the home without issue. Good luck. Keep us posted

3. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 16:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for replyng KillerQueen. When you say there is a lot wrong with the picture, do you mean with what the PCO is doing? Or do you think we doing something wrong? We were going to go wtih the company that did the canine detection. They were the ones that got rid of the bbs at our friend's house (the ones who gave it to us)and they are very reputable. They treat many NYC hospitals and my friend got several good recs about them. But, they charge $425 per room, per treatment and we have three bedrooms and a living room to treat. When our neighbors recommended our current PCO, it was much more affordable plus they give you a 6 month guarantee.

We are considering using the original company that did the canine-inspcection. I believe they use cryonite on items that cannot be treated, Demand CS, and put dust in outlets. They are also supposed to be vey thorough, which I will admit I don't believe our current PCO is. They seem to believe that spraying poison all over the ceilings, walls, inside dresser drawers, and soaking the bed frames and carpets would do the trick.

Am I allowed to post their name and get opinions/reviews from site members? I am starting to get desparate as I still believe we are in the early stages and want to stop this before it gets out of hand.

4. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 18:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

UUUUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE DOWNSTAIRS UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They travel from floor to floor very easily.

5. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 0:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Or, has your son stayed over at their friends house again?

Tony Canevaro

6. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 18:56:15
    #

Login to Send PM

No, but my brother in law found a carcass in his sofa one week after getting bit at our place. He threw out the couch and did a deep clean but never got treated. He considers himself BB free b/c he was not bitten again since, and he had a horrible reaction the last time.
    He did come over twice since then but we made him undress in the stairwell outside the entrance which was sprayed; he put all clothing and shoes in a selaed zioloc and left it there. We have an isolated set of clothes for him if he visits. I guess BIL will need to be banned from our place to avoid reinfestation. We are also going to talk to your neighbors tonight and ask them to be treated. Ugh- I don't know how they will react!!

7. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 19:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Poor Bill.....lol....I have to ask has the downstairs unit been treated or has the dog inspected that unit? It is very possible they may have them and not know it. That needs to be dealt with.

8. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 19:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

No, they have not been inspected yet. We are speaking with them tonight (if they ever get home) about getting an inspection and/or treatment.

I wonder if our PCO would treat their apartment based solely on the fact that we have a confirmed case of BBs? I would imagine so?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur