Still getting regular bites after multiple rounds and treatments

(10 posts)
  1. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 8:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Six months ago, my roommate and I learned that our building was infested, and shortly thereafter we found multiple fecal spots on our beds, including a harborage in my box spring. Fast forward to now, we had our items vikaned (and I dumped my bed) but it seems to have failed as a month after moving into our brand new apartment, we were still getting occasional bites. We have since had four sprays done by a professional, but there seems to be no improvement. We have not been able to find any new evidence in our apartment, but trust me when I say the bites are real and often quite itchy. We are both being hit even though our bedrooms are not adjacent.

I am starting to go a bit batty, we have now been living out of plastic bags for six months all in all, everything is constantly going in the dryer, including our sheets at least once per week. We have vacuumed some (but are nervous to do it a lot for fear the bedbugs will live in the vacuum filter?) and have put down sticky traps in case it is some other kind of bug. So far the traps have just caught a bug that looks like a gnat. We also both have climb ups (which we have never caught anything in) and encasements on our beds. I feel like I have read every single related post on bedbugger but I am coming up empty on answers.

I doubt it is fleas, as my dog is on a strong flea med (and she rarely seems itchy), carpet beetles I suppose are a possibility but we have found no evidence of them either even when searching, and beyond those I just don't even know what to look for.

We can keep having the exterminator come spray again and again but I am wondering a) if it isn't bed bugs would his chemicals kill everything anyway?, b) what can we do to get some mental relief? I am honestly thinking about getting heat treatment which would kill all kinds of bugs right, or are there other chemicals we could have him treat us with that would kill all bugs?

Really looking for some advice here, especially from the professionals on the board. Bed bugs are constantly on my mind now, every time I am on public transit, see a coworker with a bug bite, etc.

Thanks!!

2. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 10:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Also for what it's worth, I've noticed from the paperwork the exterminator has given us each time he spends only 45 minutes or so in the apartment for each treatment. He told me because we prepped well that our place is easy to treat, but I am skeptical that he is doing a thorough job?

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 11:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Who is treating without any evidence? It sounds like an occasional bite, not a constant, but no time frame was given. There are many things that can cause a skin reaction, and the lack of evidence plus the vicane treatment would suggest that something else is causing your skin reactions.

4. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 11:25:25
    #

Login to Send PM

When we had the physical bedbug evidence in our old apartment, bites were not often. In our new place, they actually seem to be becoming more regular - I have had three individual bites in three days just this week (our fourth PCO treatment was last week). My roommate has had more, there was one morning where she woke up with eight bites, most mornings it is just one or two.

Would bed bug treatment kill all other potential bugs too? Our PCO has used a combination of Temprid, Exciter, Exponent and Bedlam.

Yea our items were vikaned but we are not sure we have great confidence in the company that did it... they told us we could pack our things however we wanted, to just avoid packing in plastic bins. We think some eggs got through and are now wreaking havoc. Our new apartment has pretty plush carpets in the bedrooms which I bet provides even more hiding spots.

5. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 12:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You should make sure you have evidence to treat. But if you get evidence and the sprays aren't sealing the deal check about adding Cimexa into the mix, it gets pretty positive reviews.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 12:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The sensible thing to do at this stage is stop and confirm.

Its not uncommon for people to still have symptoms post bed bug issue and equally bed bugs can make people sensitive to other things.

The good news is that if it is bed bugs the increasing activity will make it easier to confirm.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 12:44:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David for the input. How long after the bed bugs are gone would you say is reasonable to still have symptoms? We are also quite nervous to resume our "regular activity" for fear that a) we would have to rebag and prep things again for more treatment, or b) for fear of spreading it. We have avoided having people over as well and won't feel good doing so until we have had no bites for at least a month or two.

Also what are your thoughts on vacuuming? We have essentially been using a fancy dust use since we are scared that using the full large bag less vacuum will spread them more, either by staying in the filter or getting caught elsewhere in the unit. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

8. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 12:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Also what do you mean by the increasing activity making it easier to confirm? And if the bed bugs are making us sensitive to other things, what are the odds that it is happening to both of us, not just one of us?

Thank you thank you!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 13:20:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

"Reasonable" is a subjective term and not much use in this situation.

You need to STOP and I do literally mean stop anything you are doing to treat.

Then take the time to learn about:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Search and inspect for them and post any images of anything you find that confirms bed bugs. This should be done at weekly intervals or through monitoring (see useful tools section).

Until you can confirm bed bugs its best to keep an open mind as to the possible and actual cause.

Otherwise you run the risk of adding to the confusion as to what the issue actually is and not getting it resolved.

David

10. Buggedandfrustrated

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 11 2017 10:30:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It is now five months after I started this thread and we are still getting intermittent bite-like marks. We have not found any evidence so I know the guidance is to find some other source. But just this morning I found three red marks on my thigh that were slightly raised with a dot in the middle (that looked more like a linear dash rather than a dot), seemingly connnected by a red line, and did not itch (but did hurt slightly when I was washing them - which is how I found it). This is my first set of bites in almost two months, but my roommate has had some in between those times.

I’m starting to think we now have one straggler that is biting us at random intervals, I’m guessing in the living room as neither of us enters each other’s bedrooms. How long would it take to find evidence of one single bug?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto