Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Still Afraid??

(8 posts)
  1. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 14:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I have yet to find a bug...even with the trap things that say...if you have them they will be drawn and trapped in the sticky as evidence which have been out for almost a week with nothing in them. Why can't I shake this fear? I bought chemicals...my husband hid them because he is afraid I will go overboard with application. Every bit of debris that I find on the beds is soaked in rubbing alcohol and laid on a paper towel to see if it could be dried blood poo. Why is the thought of Bed Bugs so incredibly frightening? The worst for me is that the more I obsess the more I itch and the more I itch the more I am obsessed. I have still yet to see a BB in my house since that day I decided that we obviously would get them due to exposure...because the internet says they are everywhere and spread like wildfire and once you have them they don't go away unless you are some super human who can work full time and clean non stop in your off hours for months on end...which I know is not me!!

Is it possible that I have worked myself up into a frenzy over nothing? I mean...the exposure site had the first round of issues about two years ago and my son had been spending every day there and even the night once or twice before they realized what was going on and we did not get them then. Am I more afraid now because they said they were gone but, now are back...and I keep thinking is it back or did they just never leave??
    And I keep cleaning and washing my vacuum canister the entire time afraid that I am either not getting it clean or going to ruin it. I still spray it with the one small can of spray my husband let me keep.

Anyway...I guess I needed to vent...and then I feel guilty for venting because I know that there are people out there that have confirmed cases and are probably in worse situations than I am....

And I am still afraid I will be one of those that don't realize they have an issue until it is out of control and I am walking around with bugs falling off of me like Beetlejuice from the movie....

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read...I appreciate the venue...

2. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 15:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Scared. You accurately called what you're dealing with an "obsession", and you are not alone. They definitely made me obsess which is why most of us are on here to begin with. Like all obsessions, they start with some real threat but we magnify them into feeling like our world is collapsing over us. I would recommend that you take the bed bugs out of the picture and just put into practice the recommendations that are out there for dealing with anxiety. They usually say, start by doing what you can control to improve the situation and reduce the risk that you are afraid of, which in this case would be monitoring for bed bugs in case they come back. Then, give yourself a break from focusing on the fear during the day. Take a walk, listen to music, read a book, get out of the house for a while. Some say it helps to reserve a specific time of the day that you can focus on your worries for a short time. That way, when an anxious thought comes into your mind, you can tell yourself, "Nope. It's not time yet. I'll save that thought for my worry hour." Sounds corny but it works. It will help you have some healthy normalcy back in your life. I told my mom the same thing when she was going crazy from bed bugs and feeling insecure in her own home. Put on some prepped clean clothes and get out for a little bit. Go to the park or to the mall and sit on a bench for a while and people watch if the weather's bad. Have peace in knowing that you have done all that you can to monitor for them and even if they do show up, they are beatable. You have the best advantage that anyone can have now. You are vigilant and educated so you will recognize them quickly. They won't have time to get out of control.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  3. keephopealive

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 16:22:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll second everything Vince has said; the best days I've had lately are the ones when I make a conscious effort to actually allow myself some time off from thinking about it altogether. I've found that the more I do this, the easier it becomes to compartmentalize and separate myself from the anxiety.

I can 100% understand where you're coming from and how you're feeling; it's no exaggeration to say I was devastated when I found them in my car but even though I've not seen a single bug since then (3 months ago), I got into the habit of checking my house and my body for marks many times a day and realized I was becoming obsessive in a way that was not getting me any closer to finding a resolution.

From everything you've said, I really feel you may have been lucky and managed to dodge a bullet. As long as you remain vigilant (to a healthy level) I really think you'll get past this soon; you just have to give yourself a chance to do so (as do I!!)

4. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 16:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks SalsaVince,
    The thing that makes it all so insane for me is that in one breath I am okay and saying...nope don't have them...we dodged that exposure bullet...then the next I am looking under the sheets as the kids sleep convinced I am going to find them under attack. My husband tells me that if I were being bitten as much and as many places as I think that I itch that there is no way we wouldn't see anything if we actually had them.
    You sir are a saint in my book for all you have done for your mother.
    And it is silly but, being able to talk here does help...freaks me out with some of the stories but, others give me hope.

5. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 19:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to you too keephopealive. I hope that you find some peace too. I am so glad that this place is around for venting. The isolation makes the anxiety seem so much worse.

6. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 22:53:38
    #

Login to Send PM

And...I did not vacuum tonight. Baby steps..

7. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 13:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good job! The other thing I forgot to mention is to limit yourself from visiting this site as hard as that will be. Although this site is great and can provides you with a lot of information and encouragement, it also feeds the obsession so better to not think about bed bugs at all for the majority of the day. Keep living life.

8. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 19:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I am limiting myself...and I think it may be helping....with the anxiety. I don't think I will ever not check for things periodically ever again. AND...I think I will start hoping for a scientific break through of some sort....these nasty things need to be up toward the top of those priority lists to eradicate and cure!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,258 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes