Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

SteriFab/Bedlam Plus [expert input on treating furniture/car needed]

(7 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 8:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So I am definitely moving. I would like to take a few things with me (heirloom, super simple pieces of furniture, can see into every crevice) and I was told to use different products on the pieces I take with me. My question is, should I use one product, or both?? I don't want to overdo it. I was told Bedlam Plus leaves a residue, which would be ideal given that I am storing these things indefinitely until I find a new place. Wouldn't mind an expert point of view since everything I was told was by amateurs and all of the phone calls I make are useless (no one will discuss anything over the phone!) so any advice I can take with me would be greatly appreciated.....

2. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2014 12:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I have just found out one of my family members who sleeps in my home has successfully 'transported' a bug. They found it running across their coat and killed it but I drove them to work. This means they have been in my car. I really am freaking out about that. I can throw away everything but not my car! If I vacuum like a crazy person and use the Sterifab or Bedlam and put DE down will that help? My infant rides in that car so I don't want to harm him. I won't do any sort of treatments unless I know he is safe. A professional opinion would be useful.

3. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 8 2014 13:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Get the car steam-cleaned before you move. Then spray EcoRaider in it, and put cimexa dust in it (while wearing clean clothes and shoes that definitely don't have bed bugs, after going to the gym and showering, and sitting in the sauna and showering and swimming).

Take nothing with you. Put everything in storage. When you get to the new place, walk to it from a gym after showering, sauna and swimming a few times. Use a lice brush to get any bed bugs and eggs out of your hair. If you manage to find a new place without bed bugs, then you keep your stuff in storage and treat it whatever way you want to render it bed bug-free. If your new place has bed bugs, or you manage to take them with you to the new place anyhow, at least you won't have lost all your things - it's in storage.

4. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2014 12:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to bump this, I need to order something to treat my car and I am unclear on which product would be the better option. I need to move and would like to make sure I am not carting them around in my car..... thank you in advance.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2014 13:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have changed your title to hopefully attract the right kind of input.

Not a pro but I will note that cars are not very hospitable places for bed bugs even if one gets in. One was there at least briefly but that doesn't mean they're in there now. You might use monitors to see if more are present.

Sprays may help if labeled for spraying furniture. Alternatively, dry vapor steam is a great contact killer. It takes elbow grease but done properly, and possibly multiple times, may go a lot further than spraying.

I don't think spraying anything on furniture or the car is going to give you 100% certainty that they're gone. Furniture can be treated with heat or Vikane in a pod or truck. Yes, it's more costly obviously.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2014 14:46:12
    #

Login to Send PM

OK guys, sorry I've been away but I've been busy do bug stuff. Last week I was home for just 13 hours and traversed the US so, there's that . . .

Some comments regarding the issues/questions above:

> We don't need to "vacuum like a crazy person" and I mean EVER ! What we need to do is vacuum like a sane person. We use our vacs to physically remove bed bugs from where they are located. Know where the typical hiding places are and use your vac to vacuum those areas. (And, BTW, how exactly does a crazy person vacuum anyway?)

> Overall, Bedlam Plus is a decent product however, if this is family heirloom type stuff, you may want to be careful with what products you apply to it because doing so may result in staining and/or discoloration of the surfaces treated. Note that a vacuum won't do that nor would a carefully applied heat type treatment or steam. With steam you need to be careful that the humidity/moisture involved won't cause any damage as well.

> Sterifab is an alcohol based product. It is a contact type killer and there may be some concern with surface discoloration. As such, you may wish to do a "test application" in hidden areas where any staining or discoloration would not be an issue.

> Long term storage of furniture can be bed bug control in and of itself. This is so because given sufficient time the bed bugs may die due to starvation. However, it would be wise to seal the items in bed bug proof wrap such that no such critters "get in".

> Bed bugs can get in vehicles and there are a number of ways to treat them if so. In the recent past we've been able t remediate "over the road" type sleeper cab trucks using suitable methodologies including vacuum, heat, steam and insecticide applications including dust, pest strips and others.

ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS !

pjb

7. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 18 2014 14:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

For the replies and post title change.... THANK YOU. As for traversing the US, man, take a break! Put your feet up. For 5 minutes. Lol. Then start all over again I imagine!!!

(FYI: A crazy person vacuums upside down and under the seats. At least in my world)

I just want something to shoot in the car. I bought the Cimexa, already have DE, and got a puff thing (gonna have to figure out how to use THAT one properly.....) and a can of Bedlam Plus. I will spray under the seats. My van has removable seats so I figure I will pull them out, vacuum under there and spray.

A question about storage. If I put things in the garage (temps have plummeted but are not guaranteed to be below freezing consistently) will they hibernate or die? I know it's not a guarantee but I do have a few things I want to treat with this Bedlam and just leave sit out in the garage. It's not insulated or heated and gets 'outside' cold. The items would be there a minimum of 3 months. Would this be sufficient?

And yes I always read the labels!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991