Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Steri-Fab/husband traveling again need advice and tips

(7 posts)
  1. HelpBB

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 13:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So I am having severe panic attacks b/c my husband has to start going on a lot of business trips again. He is one that never showed any bites to bed bugs and frankly isn't to worried by them. Anyways I am trying to figure out a game plan on how to not bring in bed bugs from a trip. I have talked to my husband about washing and drying all his stuff the night before he comes home but that is a no go. He takes large suitcases b/c he is gone for a week at a time. So I can't throw it into the dryer.

Questions:

1) Steri-fab it claims to kill bed bugs and eggs. Does it really kill both? Or is it like alcohol and might only kill a couple? I thought about spraying vehicle down with it after he comes home and where his luggage would be. Or would their be something else that would work better?

2) What do I do about his computer?

3) I have a zap a bug heat chamber that holds his suitcase but I have no faith that the heat will penetrate the luggage and everything in it. Do I unpack all his stuff outside bag everything and dump bag into washer? Will washing with really hot water kill bed bugs? I would put everything in dryer first but....his clothes will be super stinky. I saw research saying that cold soapy water killed bed bugs but not the eggs. I saw no research on washing stuff with hot soapy water.

4) What about shoes? I melted several pairs of shoes in oven at 180 degrees and in the dryer. Any suggestions? Any suggestions where he should keep shoes in hotel to limit bed bugs crawling inside them?

5) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated to avoid bringing these monsters into the house.

Thank you!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 10:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't feed the madness.
    Cooking shoes, dousing vehicles, worrying about computers, none of that is helpful.

Read up on their habits, actually learn about bed bugs.

3. HelpBB

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply bigdummy but that is what I have been trying to do is learn all I can about bed bugs and their habits and what works to kill them and what doesn't to protect my family.

My husband will be using an airport that has been in the news for having issues with bed bugs. He will also be going on several business trips over the next few months and I need to know what/how not to bring them in the house. There is so much info out there it is hard to figure out what is truth and what is false. Like one exterminator told us that washing clothes in hot soapy water kills all life stages of bed bugs including eggs but another said that washing does not kill the eggs and bed bugs have been known to survive getting washed. So which is it?

I also know that bed bugs are attracted to dirty smelling laundry/shoes. So....if that is the case how do I treat the shoes when he comes home? The exterminators that have come to our house have said that we needed to heat treat our shoes every time after coming home from the store, school, work etc.. I tried that but after melting some shoes we have now have stopped that. I do have the kids keep their shoes in the garage. On my husbands business trips I know he is at a much higher risk so we need to be extra diligent. So what do I do about the shoes?

I have also read that freezing stuff works but other reports say it doesn't? That would be an option if it works but like I said I don't know if it does because of all the conflicting reports.

I have also been told and read a study that bed bugs are attracted to color red, black and heat. His computer is black and produces heat so I would think one would assume that it would be a perfect way for the bed bug to hitch hike to other places.

I was asking about the strei-fab b/c if he got an egg on him or the suitcase and then stuck itself to the seat of his vehicle or the area the suitcase is in. I was thinking this would be an extra safety precaution as long as it actually killed bed bug eggs like it claims. There again there is conflicting reports.

I am trying my best to protect my family. I truly am trying to learn everything I can about these horrible things but feeling like I am not getting anywhere. I have not had the luxury of going to bed bug summits and asking questions and learning the latest on bed bugs. That is why I come on this site to get help b/c the experts are the ones to first hand get this info. It seems like everything has to be so damn cryptic.

I am a very very exhausted mom that has been through more than I can handle this past 18mo and it has not all been bed bugs. I keep getting hit with one really bad thing after another. I am pleading for a little direction of what really truly works. Does washing in hot soapy water work or not to kill all life stages including eggs? Does steri-fab truly work on killing bed bug eggs? does freezing work if put in the freezer for a week? What does the latest research say?

4. HelpBB

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Dummy you yourself have even said that you work at an homeless shelter and anyone coming in has to have all their stuff heat treated to be safe. That you can't just take the persons word that they don't have bed bugs b/c bed bugs are great hitchhikers. You yourself are pretty proud that your homeless shelter is a bed bug free place b/c of this precaution. I don't have your oven to heat treat everything. So what do I do??

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

As I stated above, learn their habits, study the bug itself, not just how to kill it. You're reacting, and not reading the situation properly.
    Yes, I run every new client's clothing through my heat chamber here at work, but I still go home after work and relax without concern of bringing them home with me. Unless I'm down in it, crawling on the floor in an infested apartment or in direct contact when bagging up a mattress it's just like any other day.
    On those days that I know I'm dirty I drive the work van to my house, go in through the carpeted living room, strip down in the garage and throw my clothing and shoes in the dryer. No big deal.
    Hell, I keep samples in the aquarium above my couch, they're just insects, not ninjas.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

And we're far from bed bug free, but having a heat treatment chamber to stop one main entry point does save me from a lot of headaches.
    In the past ten months I've had eleven infestations, and we serve roughly 300 clients, so we're doing much better than most out there,

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 15:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,575 posts in 48,150 topics over 149 months by 21,216 of 21,570 members. Latest: Lh0512, patmc3853, stennisplayer07