Steri-Fab or Kleen-free for luggage?

(5 posts)
  1. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 9:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have two nice suitcases that I don't want to part with. Sealing the one up isn't an option because it's too large. The other one I need to use frequently enough that 18-months of storage isn't an option. Has anyone had more success with either steri-fab or kleen-free for spraying down luggage? I figure I'd vacuum them out first. Also, is one "better" (ie safer/less toxic) for people?

Has anyone tried spraying shoes or leather goods (purses, boots) with either product, too?

Thanks!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 9:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You could always seal it in saran wrap or cling film, then size is no obstacle.

Before you do any form of treatment check to ensure that they have a problem. Place the case in a dry bath and inspect all the surfaces. It it better to take time to do this than to rush and miss something if your eyes are not used to looking for the signs of Bed Bugs.

If it does have bed bugs I would suggest sealing in saran wrap or cling film and once it is sealed and isolated look at your treatment options from there.

I would always suggest that people seal bags during transit particularly if they are likely to come into contact with other peoples bags. Barrier protection will always stop contamination and avoid the need to treat with chemical products.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

or try taking duffle bags that you can easily bag and throw in the dryer when you get home!

4. mostlycurious

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 8:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Steri-fab has isopropanol as its active ingredient...isn't that rubbing alcohol?

Kleen-Free has "naturally occurring enzymes".

It looks like the MSDS for Steri-fab has more cautions for humans so it is likely more harmful.

Not sure which would be more effective though.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2008 9:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I was looking at Samsonite luggage recently. Samsonite makes a hard sided suitcase that does not have a liner with pockets that can be removed. It has a good weather seal that is compressed in the frame around the lids.

I don't know if we could say it is bed bug proof, but it is definitely bed bug unfriendly construction when it is latched. Adding some plastic wrap around the exterior would be an easy additional precaution that would seal the retractable handle as well.

I think he prevalence of bed bugs may drive a trend for people to replace their cloth covered luggage with hard sided luggage.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver