Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Steaming Mattress

(9 posts)
  1. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 18:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

There's some stuff going on with my apartment I'd rather not get into here. . . suffice it to say I still live there, I still have bedbugs, and the landlord still won't pay for anything but chemicals.

I want to give steaming my mattress a chance. I know it's not the best idea to use a steamer on a bed, but considering it's probably a goner, I might give it a try.

I bought a steamer to use on my walls and floors before my next treatment, which isn't for a week. Can I steam my mattress, or is it one of those "oh geez, no, you're going to get it wet and die of mold spores" situations? Can I steam the mattress covers?

Thanks.

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 18:56:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you looked into getting an encasement for it instead of steaming it.

3. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 19:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

By "mattress covers" I meant "encasement." And by "encasement," I mean "Those very expensive things that the bugs seem to get out of whether or not the cat has had his way with them."

My beds are encased. There are two each on my bed and boxspring.

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 20:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

In that case yes indeed, I believe the consensus here is going to be, if you take the encasements off and steam them and the mattress it's practically guaranteed to develop lots of mold inside, unless you can wait a while before putting the encasements back on until they and the mattress are bone dry. Are you considering the same for the boxspring?

Isn't there a possibility of checking the encasements and finding where the holes are and duct taping them?

The feline factor is certainly disruptive, needless to say. If you do figure out a way to steam, but then the next day there's another claws encounter, bugs will be able to get right back in.

For that matter even without kitty's role, if you steam but haven't figured out where the holes are which the bugs are evidently using, they'll retain their entry and exit visas so you won't have gained anything.

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 20:57:21
    #

Login to Send PM

How about steaming the bed frame? I don't know about your frame, but ours have lots of places for the bugs to hide. Encasements SHOULD take care of the mattress and boxspring.

6. Exterminator Toronto

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 21:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

We use the vapor clean TR5 and TR6 they are fantastic, not sure what you are willing to spend but a TR5 would be good for one apartment. Any steamer you buy must have pressure control, you don't need or want a large blast of steam and you must move slowly over the surfaces you are treating. Encasements are great too and following steaming you should wait at least 30 min for the moisture to dry. The mattress is not really wet but you don't want to trap the moisture inside the encasement. Besides there is not really a rush to encase the mattress and box spring after steaming. I never recommend knowingly encasing live bed bugs inside an encasement, then again I am not a gambling man. If the encasement is torn or removed the bed bugs may and likely will re-infest the room.

7. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 22:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The boxspring cover (actually, it's double covered) is freaking swiss cheese courtesy of le feline. . . that's why I wanted to steam the box spring itself, to really kill everything at the core. I think I'm going to tape the heck out of it with duct tape. The top cover is a better quality and not used for kitty manicures as much

Exterminator can't come for another week. It's going to be a long week. I'm probably going to wind up sleeping in my bathtub.

8. del126

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 23:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure whether this is the best strategy or one that is feasible for you. With our mattress and box spring we covered them in plastic, hauled them outside into the yard, took the plastic off, removed the ticking from the bottom of the box spring, and then sprayed the whole thing down with 90% alcohol. We waited for them both to dry (took maybe five hours) so as not to have a serious fire hazard in the house. We then brought them both back in and encased them. We find holes in the encasements every once and a while (we have cats with claws as well) but have not found evidence of bedbugs since December.

9. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 10 2011 23:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, you're right; as I live in a NYC apartment, this is not an option.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,644 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa