Steaming away

(3 posts)
  1. bugbitcha

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 23 2012 16:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to let you all know how my husband and I have won our war on BB's. First off, we accepted that as residents of NYC, BB's are everywhere and we really can't protect ourselves from getting over and over again. Tired of spending all our money on treatment, only to bring them home again, we decided to treat BB's the same way we treat for roaches. After researching (and this website was by far the most useful) we bought a Vapamore Steam cleaner. We cleaned out the entire bedroom, washed all clothing, blah blah blah usual BB protocol, everything in plastic bags, you know the drill. We then proceeded to caulk every tiny crevice we could find, and steamed EVERYTHING in the room. Floors, walls, bedboards, furniture, every nook and cranny in the ENTIRE room. WE put new mattress covers over top of the old mattress covers. We also steamed all furniture in the living room for good measure. The next week, we did it all over again. We continued to do this weekly (still living out of plastic bags) for a month. After a month, we took everything out of plastic bags, and continued to steam clean everything once a month. We have been doing this method once a month now for about a year. Not only is our home SPOTLESS, we have not had a re-infestation. Just thought I would let you know how things worked out for us.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 23 2012 23:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience with us. I added the "success" and "success stories" tags.

You might consider an inexpensive ongoing monitoring system like BbAlert passive (see this FAQ), so you find out quickly if you ever get a problem again.

Steam can work but as you have seen, it's labor-intensive and involves hitting every last bed bug directly.

Once you do get them all, as it sounds like you have, then monitoring carefully means you don't necessarily have to keep up this cleaning regimen indefinitely, unless you want to.

Others who wish to follow your lead may be interested in our FAQ on steam.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugbitcha

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 17:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugsonme, I know this seems like a really labor intensive thing to do, but if you do it carefully, it certainly does work, and upkeep is much less work than you might think. As far as the BBAlert, we have used this in the past and it did not work for us at all. I found the bugs before BBAlert did. Besides, whether or not I think I have BB's, I will continue to steam every month, and I will never spend another dollar for another BB product again. If I ever DO find another BB, I will just start at the beginning, it is just not that difficult.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur