Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Steamers - I need your input guys!

(10 posts)
  1. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 12:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so money is tight (what else is new) but I need to buy a steamer. Luckily I was recently given a generous gift card to Bed, Bath & Beyond. So won't you please help me pick out a steamer. Feel free to add criticism and advice. I know I should use a dry steam to prevent mold but I don't have $400 to drop on anything right now. so here goes.

1. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14781994

2. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14716050

3. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13640718

Muchas Gracias!!

2. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 13:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Marixpress, have you checked Amazon or epionons for their reviews on these. All 3 look great to me. I have an old Jiffy commercial steamer, very similar to the $149 Rowenta and that thing rocks. We did buy an expensive steamer, but honestly, the Jiffy is what we use 99% of the time, it is great for clothes, gets incredibly hot (I've had it go above 160 with a towel over steamer head).

I honestly think you could be very very happy with any of those steamers, but I would still look at Amaazon, Overstock, or anywhere where buyers post their opinions of their purchases and see if anyone has rated these particular steamers.

I think you will be very happy to have a steamer, they do simplify things like wrinkled bagged clothes much quicker than ironing, etc.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 13:43:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The steamer FAQ gives advice on the requirements for steamers to kill bed bugs. They need to get to about 200F at the tip in order to kill bed bugs. I would google the product name and try to get the manufacturer's product info. Most of them have put the entire manuals online. This way you can read about the function of the machine.

Once you get a machine, use the techniques here and in the steam faq.

This information should even be on the product description where you buy the item. (Amazon often includes complete info. of this sort in the description or reviews, and you can look there even if you don't intend to buy there.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 14:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

once again, thank you Keymaster

5. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 16:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

oh man, I wrote a long reply asking NObugs about temperature and then I figured it out. Sorry to waste time with this post. I just edited out my other...sorry.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 16:30:36
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries. I know it is hard to find information here sometimes.

7. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 16:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know anything about steamers, but I wanted to tell you in case you didn't know that Bed Bath and Beyond usually has 20% off coupons either in the mail or in Sunday's newspapers and that would help bring the cost down.

8. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 8:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point

I'm so afraid of wasting my money on one that doesn't do the job. I read such mixed reviews these models. I might save up for a high end steamer instead.

9. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 8:22:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I spent $600 on a steamer that spit water all over the place when I tried to use it. Plus the steam didn't seem to get very hot, so I returned it. I'm buying a variable heat heat gun instead. I'm hoping that that could work as well.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 11:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a variable heat gun and while I feel it can be effective the safety concerns are so great they trump the effectiveness. Dry hot air doesn't conduct heat as well as steam can and probably doesn't penetrate as well either.

I did testing with a digital multimeter using a thermal probe. It holds the temp steady regardless of air speed but the temp knob goes from 1-10 and around 2.5-3.5 easily jumps from 220-300F. That gets into ranges that can damage paint and heat other items to the point they release harmful gases. Not to mention the obvious fire potential of the 900F maximums the thing can create.

Testing on a padded chair was inconclusive on deep heat penetration, I think the bugs could outrun or otherwise escape the heat from this.

Mine is this one...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6NE90

IMO, not a professional, it can be highly effective for some items, destroying eggs you can see, heating metal frame junctions or screws to lethal temps, but presents grave safety concerns and should used if an only if you can validate the temp it is set at!

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie