Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Steamer rentals in Toronto/Greater Toronto Area?

(6 posts)
  1. murukku

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 11:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So I am trying to battle the bugs in our single family house and my parents pretty much at the same time. I am pretty sure they are in some denial of what a bed bug infestation can become. Needless to say we are doing all we can to vacuum and clean every crack and crevice in the bedrooms and will continue to do so every day for a good while.

In my struggle with my parents we agreed renting a dry vapour steamer that reaches the required 120F/45C is what we will need to really get going on our own fight. However I am having trouble finding places to rent these steamers. Does anyone know or have had luck finding any in the Toronto/GTA?

I understand the mold risk completely so if getting a dry steamer isn't an option will using an appropriate wet vapour steamer and then promptly blow drying afterward help with deterring mold?

Thanks guys. If my parents don't want to hear it, at least you guys are sympathetic!

2. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 13:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

hi there,

I have never heard of renting out dry vapor steamers, and checked with my local Home Depot to do so and was given funny looks. You can rent a Rug Doctor if you have carpet, but I think the experience is not so great on bed bugs.

That said, renting one also wouldn't necessarily take care of the problem. Steam only gets the ones not deep in cracks/walls, etc. I have been using one over and over again but because they are in the wall voids (and got there quickly I might add) it's doing not much at this point. But, if you'd like a cheaper version of a good steamer, I live in Buffalo and am moving and did put mine up for sale on here a couple of weeks ago. It's a TR5 usually costing $599, I'm selling it for $350 and would be willing to negotiate with someone in poverty, but not for too much less as I am, myself, and moving with nothing. It's a good steamer, much better it seems than the Vapamore at a comparable price, and if the bugs haven't attacked the wall voids yet, it may do the trick or at least help supplement DE or chemical treatment.

Good luck and take care-
    Amy

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 13:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, you need a steamer that, at the tip, gets to at least 150 degrees, that's at the tip, which means the boiler or heating mechanism must heat it internally to at least 200 degrees.

4. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Cana tire has a good one its called the CONAIR ,69 bucks and this machine pumps out the heat,it get hot in 60 seconds and lasts for and 1/2 hr if or longer on one batch of water,even longer if im not mistaken.

5. murukku

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I found these products from a quick online search but do they get to the required heat? There is no information on the Canadian Tire website. These are most likely wet vapour steamers? Have you used this and it effectively killed BB eggs?

6. Exterminator Toronto

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2011 19:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I am an exterminator working in Toronto and surrounding areas. I do not know of any rental places for the appropriate steamer. The one we use is a vapour clean TR6. It is a great dry steamer but is quite expensive to purchase around $1000. When looking for a steamer to buy remember pressure control is also very important. Too much pressure will blow the bed bugs across the room and not kill them. You may want to consider a professional as we have experience at applying the steam to the correct areas and at the correct pressure.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes