Steamer Advice and CO2 traps

(4 posts)
  1. howdidigetbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 8:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

We just finished encasing the Temperpedic foundation with 3.5 mil plastic. We've made sure all the creases are taped. Even after doing this, I found blood specks on my freshly washed sheets this morning. I washed them last night.

Any recommendations on the McCulloch MC1275? I don't see any steamers that have more than 4* on Amazon. Any others recommended over the McCulloch?

The McCulloch is in my Amazon shopping cart along with Ziploc Big Bags, Bed Bug ClimbUp Interceptors, a powder duster and CimeXa Insecticide Dust.

We're going to put out some CO2 traps out starting tonight and see what we catch. I'm still not sure what the level of infestation is, but the traps should give us a better idea on that. I watched several videos on youtube about how to make traps with yeast and sugar, and also ones on using dry ice. Are they same or is one better than the other?

I'm going to call some other PCO's tomorrow and get more quotes, but was told by one company I talked to on Saturday that there were only a few PCO's it my town that would treat for bed bugs. This guy was talking about just treating the bedrooms, where the other company will only treat the entire house. After handling a quilt that had been sitting on my deck in a black plastic bag for a week, I found one in my computer room and then later when I threw the quilt, bag and all into the garbage can, found another one crawling on my shirt while watching TV in the den. Now, I wonder if the BB's are in my laundry room. The bag sat in there for several hours before it dawned on my where the first BB (the one in my computer room) probably came from.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 13:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I make carbon dioxide by using a two liter pop bottle, sugar and yeast. Fill the pop bottle two thirds of the way with water. Using a funnel, pour two cups of sugar into the bottle. Cap the bottle and shake it. Take the cap off. Dissolve one package of yeast into five ounces of water. This will take about ten minutes to fully dissolve. Then pour the mixture into the bottle. This will create about two weeks of carbon dioxide.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 2 2016 0:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a steamer FAQ which may help: Killing Bed Bugs With Steam

We're told that CO2 monitors do better when not competing with humans in the same room (because humans give off CO2 but also pheromones and heat, all of which make us a more attractive target than the monitors). So they may be of more use in unoccupied spaces like an empty bedroom or while you're away.

It can't hurt and you may catch something but it's worth keeping in mind. Passive monitors are an idea for occupied spaces.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2016 23:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Do NOT order that steamer. That is the exact one that I ordered, and it measured only 93 degrees--with two different thermometers.. nowhere near 200 degrees, or over 120. It is possible that the one that I had was broken, but it was so far from the required temp that I returned it to Amazon for a refund.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me