Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Steam cleaning car in cold temperatures?

(9 posts)
  1. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all!

I have 0 evidence that I have bed bugs (I likely don't). But one of my work sites had an infestation some time ago and purportedly still could (I can't get anything straight from colleagues other than "it's a lot better now"). Anyway, I may have been exposed to bed bugs and have taken precautions with my clothes and inside the house to feel good about things. However, I'm still worried I could have had a hitchhiker hop off me in the car. I've removed most of the items in my car and am planning on laundering, cleaning as is possible. I ordered a steamer that should be arriving today and some Bedlam that should be arriving tomorrow.

What I've been doing lately is just changing into a giant trash bag in the cold garage and then laundering my clothes immediately after I've ridden in the car, and my bag goes into a trash bag before I get in the car.

My question is this--it's cold right now! The highs this week are below freezing. Can I rely on the steamer to heat my fabric seats enough to kill bedbugs or their eggs, if I have any? Also: can I use bedlam on the fabric seats of my car/the floor/spray under the seats? Should I use passive monitoring? Should I wait until I actually find evidence of bugs to take these measures?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:06:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I would wait for signs before spending any more time or money.

3. hearty

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO just told me that cars are treated by the cold under freezing and that bed bugs and eggs certainly die in single digit temps.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Not true.

5. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:08:12
    #

Login to Send PM

That's good advice! (I went in for the steamer because I needed a good steamer anyway, and I am often exposed to bed bugs in my line of work so I figure it's a good safeguard). While monitoring, how can I protect my home? IF there are bed bugs in the car, how can I keep from bringing them into my house? Do I just need to keep garbage bagging it until I see or don't see signs?

6. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:10:04
    #

Login to Send PM

hearty - 2 minutes ago  » 
    My PCO just told me that cars are treated by the cold under freezing and that bed bugs and eggs certainly die in single digit temps.

I also heard this wasn't true. It doesn't get cold ENOUGH where I am. It's cold enough for me to worry about the steamer heating things, but it's not cold enough to kill bed bugs.

7. hearty

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok all, I am waiting to hear back from Big Dummy, since of course it isn't as easy as I thought apparently and to no surprise. My PCOs always say things are much easier than they are with these bugs. Well, all I know is I still have them. I hope we get more info here from the experts

8. hearty

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 12:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

https://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-control-in-residences/freezing

This explains about bed bugs and freezing! Source: University of Minnesota

9. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 16:53:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update: I DID steam clean my car and while I'm not sure it did anything about any potential bbs , it was immensely satisfying. At least now my car is squeaky clean, vacuumed and steamed, and free of ALL (I mean ALL) clutter while I keep an eye out for a while.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19