Stayed in guest house infested with bedbugs

(4 posts)
  1. FlyinHawaiian

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2014 16:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so long story, but I thought I'd post here because I'm at a loss in my situation regarding bedbugs.

I stayed at a hostel/guest house for 3 months, which was completely infested with bedbugs. I recently returned home.

I've left all my luggage and clothing outside for several days and have been spraying them occasionally with rubbing alcohol. I'm somewhat paranoid about having to deal with the clothing and luggage. I've been told to simply throw the clothes in the drier, however I'm pretty skeptical since hearing stories from people about that simply not working.

I'm tempted to simply dispose of most of the clothing and the luggage, but I've also got important documents and files and such that I need to keep, and I'm not sure how to treat items that are not clothing.

I've heard of different techniques on dealing with bed bugs, but after talking with a number of travelers and the guest house owners I've heard reports of many of those techniques not working and stories of people's struggles with bedbugs is making me paranoid in dealing with my belongings which I've simply left outside of my home at the moment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with my luggage/clothing using a method that would definitely be effective?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2014 18:06:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First of all isolating the items outside is a good step.

Secondly read the FAQs and you will see that the two laundry options are:

• Hot wash at or above 60 C or 140 F
    • Extended tumble of dry clothes for 30 minutes on high heat

There are also other things you can go to prevent an issue, using alcohol as a contact killer on the luggage is one, others include PackTite is available and often with luggage a good visual inspection goes a long way.

The useful tools section will also show you other steps you can take for long term bedbug mitigation but understanding and planning are your best tools at this stage.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2014 19:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Drying clothing on the machine's highest temp is extremely effective, the stories you hear of it not working are usually due to these people over-stuffing the dryer with infested articles in which case common sense should tell them bugs hidden deep in the tightly packed clothes will be fairly insulated from the hottest temperatures and will most likely survive. When loading the dryer make sure the items reach no more than a quarter of the way to the top before closing the door and turning it on.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2014 10:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. What those above me said. Clothes can be decontaminated via the heat of a clothes dryer. There are ways to insure that other items are bug-free. We have two good FAQ; "Travel" and "Stuff". Unlike David, I'm not an expert, but I'm concerned about recommending alcohol in your case. Alcohol will kill only the bugs you hit with it directly. As you had an extended stay in an infested location, I'd be concerned about bugs being "inside" the luggage more than being on the surface.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982