Stayed at house w bedbugs. Now what?

(7 posts)
  1. Roserookwood

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 12:57:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Stayed at friends' house for a week. After we returned home, they called to tell us they found bed bugs in the master and the living room. They were very upset, and we trust that they just found this problem. In fact, they offered to pay for any of our treatment. It is now 3 weeks since we've been home.

There are five of us. No one has any bites that we know of. I looked in our bedrooms and found one single, dead bedbug on a bed skirt. We called Orkin. They positively id'd the bug, then inspected for free and found nothing in any of the rooms. No more bugs, no eggs, no fecal matter, no castings.

Can you have one dead bug and that's the end of it? Is it just too soon? Should we treat if we have no other evidence?

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? We have bagged the luggage we used in black bags in the sun for three days, also my purse. We have laundered and hot dried all bedding, pillows, quilts, bed skirts. We are going through all the clothes now. We put clean, dried clothes in one bin in the kitchen. We strip our pjs and leave in bed, come down to kitchen, and put on confirmed bug free clothes. We have encased all box springs and mattresses.

2. Tuper

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 15:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no advice, but I feel your pain. I just got back from my visit, I found out while there and have been able to do a few things. Not sure I"ve done enough though, and it's freaking me out. Hopefully you are completely done dealing with it and I don't have to deal with it at all.

3. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2016 0:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard if there's one there's more. You need to have your place inspected by a certified PCO. They know how to look for them properly and use the right treatment to rid them. I did that when I saw 4 one day. It's been 2 more treatments and i'm assured by the PCO that they are gone. He comes out 1 more time to inspect in two weeks. For the first treatment I also didn't do as much as I thought I could have and same night put bed together and on the forth night of treatment there were 4 more live ones in my bed! Ugh!! the next day I FULLY cleaned out all clutter, laundered EVERYTHING twice, bagged my cloths, shoes, belts, etc. Through away rugs, bedding, pillows, paintings, clothes, towels, hair brushes, curtains!! Anything!

I've bee all clear after the after second prep and treatment. It's been a wild ride that I don't wanna ever go through again! I think the PCO knows what he's doing...

4. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2016 0:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Imoverit - 39 minutes ago  » 
    I've heard if there's one there's more. You need to have your place inspected by a certified PCO. They know how to look for them properly and use the right treatment to rid them. I did that when I saw 4 one day. It's been 2 more treatments and i'm assured by the PCO that they are gone. He comes out 1 more time to inspect in two weeks. For the first treatment I also didn't do as much as I thought I could have and same night put bed together and on the forth night of treatment there were 4 more live ones in my bed! Ugh!! the next day I FULLY cleaned out all clutter, laundered EVERYTHING twice, bagged my cloths, shoes, belts, etc. Through away rugs, bedding, pillows, paintings, clothes, towels, hair brushes, curtains!! Anything!
    I've bee all clear after the after second prep and treatment. It's been a wild ride that I don't wanna ever go through again! I think the PCO knows what he's doing...

I don't think you needed to go to that extreme. A qualified PCO will be able to tell you how to safely handle and deal with your belongings so you don't have to throw your entire life away. That said, I lost a lot of my own stuff because I was a bit of a clutterbug (not hoarder; just after twelve years in one apartment I'd amassed a lot of stuff!). I went through everything, decided what I really needed versus hanging on to something I'd never use nor miss. That stuff got tossed. I've sworn never to fall into that trap again. Cardboard and such are forbidden in my apartment now.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2016 23:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't make logical sense that "if there's one there's more." That's not how it works. You can have one bed bug and perhaps that's what happened.

However, you can't deduce this from not having skin reactions. Keep monitoring (e.g. passive bed bug monitors, which you check once a week. See the FAQ on bed bug monitors). Keep inspecting for fecal stains which are often the first sign people see. If you see any visual evidence, you can post a photo here for an expert to ID.

Also, putting things in black bags in the sun, in a hot car, etc. are not reliable methods-- you can't be sure they worked unless you're monitoring temps at the core of the items in the bag.

If you want to treat the luggage, you can put it in a sealed bag with DDVP or Cirkil/Proof, and treat them that way. Or use a bed bug oven to heat it. See the useful tools page for sections on those three methods.\

Try not to worry, though. No signs after three weeks except one dead bug sounds promising.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Roserookwood

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 31 2016 9:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I am so appreciative of the time you take to address people's concerns on this forum! I'm feeling more optimistic with every day. It turns out, thanks to this forum, that the bug I found is NOT a bed bug. So that's even better news.

My husband travels a lot, so I'm investing in Zappbug or the like, just for peace of mind. What a whirlwind!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 1:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Roserookwood,

So glad your sample was not a bed bug.

I use a Packtite (Closet) on my luggage after every trip. It may seem extreme to some people (who haven't had bed bugs) but it isn't much trouble and gives me peace of mind.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956