Stay and fight? Or not?

(12 posts)
  1. Distressed09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2016 22:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, my name is Distressed. And this is my first day at bed bugger anonymous. I am 2 days bite free.

A little background story, I moved into my current apartment in a 2 flat about 3 months ago. Within the first month I noticed small red bumps on my 2 year old son's neck. They were in the typical breakfast, lunch and dinner style so I knew what I was up against. I was sleeping on an air mattress (he sometimes sleeps with me) and found no bugs on the bed, just one live and recently fed bug on the adjacent baseboard.

Told the landlord and he had me hotshot each room. That worked for about 3 weeks then my son began being bit in my room again. The little buggers here are slick, they bite and retreat back under the hard wood floors or baseboards. He is having Orkin come out next week but I am really skeptical about this really working. He lives in the apartment below and will not be treating as he has not yet been affected.

I have never experienced anything like this before and am not hopeful at all. This is really taking a toll on me, and I am not taking the added stress well. My skin is breaking out in hives from stress and rather than the happy go lucky person I used to be I am short tempered and unhappy lately. I don't have any guests over and I don't visit family or friends for paranoia of spreading anything. I wish the little devil bugs were biting me instead of my son. I am really considering tossing everything I own (which isn't much anyway) and moving somewhere else and starting all over.

What are the chances that the treatments will rid of the bugs and can they be reached within the floorboards and walls anyway? Should I stay and tough it out or run for the hills? Any advice or support is appreciated.

2. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2016 23:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

When you say "hotshot each room," what exactly do you mean? Foggers?

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. Distressed09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 0:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

misery - 1 hour ago  » 
    When you say "hotshot each room," what exactly do you mean? Foggers?

Yes, I should have specified, HotShot is the brand name. My landlord gave me foggers to use for each room. Which I now know aren't recommended anyway.

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 9:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bombs are the worst thing you can do in a bedbug situation.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 17:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Find out the local laws. It may not be legal there for the landlord to just hand you some foggers/bombs. He may be responsible for hiring a pro. A local tenants' organization can often tell you.

Unfortunately, as Jim noted, treating with OTC foggers and bombs doesn't work -- in fact it can spread them about your home and make treatment harder.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 17:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed09: A little background story, I moved into my current apartment in a 2 flat about 3 months ago. Within the first month I noticed small red bumps on my 2 year old son's neck. They were in the typical breakfast, lunch and dinner style so I knew what I was up against.

It's interesting that people talk about the characteristic feeding of bed bugs, when 3 bites in a line doesn't really mean bed bugs. I had a woman come in with 3 bites in a line and was convinced bed bugs had fed on her, but she collected rodent mites on tape. If your entire building is infested and the landlord is handing out Hotshot foggers to all the tenants, the bugs might very well be crawling about from one unit to another or at least being pushed into more cracks and crevices until they begin crawling about again.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 18:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

And with the info that came out last week about how resistant they are becoming to different pesticides, I think even retail aerosols should be avoided.

8. Distressed09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 21:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, like I stated I now know foggers are bad. Landlord has hired professionals to come out next week and spray. I have found and caught a bed bug so I do know they are present. I live in a 2 flat, and the landlord lives below, he claims they have not had any bed bugs at all. I am not confident at all in the exterminator treatment because the bugs are hiding behind baseboards and floors.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 5:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed09 - 7 hours ago  » 
    Yes, like I stated I now know foggers are bad. Landlord has hired professionals to come out next week and spray. I have found and caught a bed bug so I do know they are present. I live in a 2 flat, and the landlord lives below, he claims they have not had any bed bugs at all. I am not confident at all in the exterminator treatment because the bugs are hiding behind baseboards and floors.

I didn't mean to suggest that you do not have bed bugs, just that what are thought of as typical signs don't have to be. And the insect had been collected, too. People who don't react badly to bed bug feeding or not at all will claim they have no bed bugs. Proper application of the active ingredient (the insecticide) is important, but simply spraying over surfaces will not help if it doesn't get into where they harbor. There is also need to use different forms of insecticides such as liquid and powder, but also different chemical makeup. There is insecticide resistance, but it is not in every bed bug population. The bomb system might also provide the impetus for resistance since the aerosol application doesn't necessarily give a lethal dosage of its active ingredients to the bed bugs since they are not out to get full exposure. The exterminator might be using similar ingredients in his sprays, so that population is primed for resistance issues. If he doesn't review bed bug populations and activity and simply sprays the same materials, then he doesn't realize his mistake. The exterminator needs experience in treating bed bug infestations and also has to learn from inspections to get insight into bed bug behavior.

10. Distressed09

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2016 21:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am beginning to understand just how difficult it will be to get rid of the infestation. And since I have no ties to ownership or lease to the building I've decided it will be best to leave. It's worth my sanity and happiness.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2016 17:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you. You should treat your belongings to make sure you don't move the problem. This can be done in various ways.

12. BBuster

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 24 2016 12:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Leave your belongings or store them somewhere for at least 18 months. It is not worth it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982