Starving Bed Bugs?

(9 posts)
  1. nloren

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 8:51:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a two bed room apartment and have been dealing with bed bugs for about six months now. I have been vacuuming and have treated all the baseboards in my apartment with Bayer pest control spray. I am now sleeping in a small tent on top of my bed. Recently I have noticed more bugs out in the open, one or two at a time. They do not appear to have fed recently as they are always paper thin and do not move very quickly. I was just wondering if a lack of food is causing them to become more bold and come out into the open. There is no evidence that they are getting into the tent at night, so I can only assume that after three weeks, they are getting hungry. Another thing I would like to point out is that I invariably find them hanging out up high where the wall meets the ceiling, it is very unusual for me to find them near the floor. This was the case even before I sprayed. I live on the top floor, so there is no one above me. Any insight as to why they are coming out at all hours would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 9:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible for you, the next time you see one, to get a good quality, close up photograph? Maybe our experts here can help you to determine if you're truly dealing with BB, or if you've got a closely related species instead? If you're on the top floor, and have been treating for months, and you're finding them up high, it's possible you've got bat/bird not bed bugs...

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. nloren

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 9:43:01
    #

Login to Send PM

That was my thought as well especially considering that the roof on my building has just been replaced. Hopefully I will be able to post a photo in the next 24 hours. Thanks.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 10:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, post a photo, preferably a high quality close up to help determine if they could be bat or bird bugs instead.

If they do turn out to be bed bugs, I'm sure them not being able to feed on you cause of the tent is contributing to you seeing them out and about and high on the walls. The spray youre using, especially if it's an aerosol, could also be a contributing factor as they may be trying to escape it as well.

Another possibility is if you have attached neighbors who have them and are self treating as well with bombs or sprays, you could be seeing bugs that are escaping to your apt.

You're not going to completely starve them using that tent, they will find a way to feed either off of you, someone else, or any other warm blooded creature such as mice.

Have you looked into any possible laws in your state regarding bed bugs? Your landlord may be responsible for having the apt. professionally treated.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. nloren

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 15:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have three photos, one of the location it was initially found in and two as close up as my phone will allow. How do I go about loading them up?

6. nloren

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 18:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I figured out how to post photos, here are the links to the three I have taken. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4424/36071820403_54a34abca9_z.jpg https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/36071809933_556b7041d7_z.jpg https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4331/36483971280_b43ebe17d6_z.jpg

Just a note, I called my landlord and despite having been out only three weeks ago to make a pest inspection, they claim not to have seen anything. They are supposed to be back out within 48 hours to reinspect. I have saved some examples for them to look at.

7. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 21:31:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again! So, you'll def wanna wait for a pro to see the photos and comment, because they do look to be in the family of the dreaded BB... however, most of us cannot distinguish between various kinds (be it bed, bat, bug, etc). I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 5:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad you couldn't get closer to the insect to take a picture. A bed bug and looks like a male.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. nloren

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 31 2017 8:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information, it confirmed my suspicions. I called the apartment management company and to my surprise, they have been very responsive. The first treatment will be tomorrow with at least two follow up treatments. The only problem I am having is I have to empty all closets, all drawers and pull all furniture off the wall by 3 to 4 feet. What a pain!! I hope this works, I will let you know.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me