Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Starting to lose it, a little rant.

(16 posts)
  1. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 19:37:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a small panic attack the other day after finding bed bugs in a corner of my room. I powdered it with DE but I don't know if I got it all done. I spent the whole weekend cleaning my room and rearranging my reptile cages. I am saving up my money for a smaller bed off the ground. Things are getting extremely stressful.

To top it all off, I went to school Monday, and because I tend to scratch the bites in my sleep (and they are welt-sized) people have started to ask some very.. interesting questions, as is the nature of highschoolers, I hate to say. Someone had gone as far as asking if I was self-harming myself. I wouldn't do that, but they were adamant about the idea. I have to say I am utterly sick and tired of being bitten. Sunday night I ended up staying up until 12am scouring my bed for the bugs, but of course, didn't find any. I woke up around 3am, I have no idea if it was a nightmare or what, but I ended up attacking my pillow with my phone trying to smash what looked like a bed bug. That isn't the first time that has happened, either... and I can't keep waking up like that because I lose hours of sleep that way.. *sigh*

I am starting to get stressed beyond belief, and I will be so glad when sports starts so I can distract myself a little and get out of the house a little longer each day.

Oh, and where would you guys say the best but somewhat cheap encasements are? I saw an encasement at WalMart but it was $40 and they didn't have the size I needed.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 21:22:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry that the BB are doing this to you.
    What kind of mattress do you have?
    Do you have a box spring?
    Bear in mind that it's more important to wrap the box, as they are more vulnerable. I recall one expert saying that BB tend to live on the outside of modern mattresses, rather than inside. If so, then you can likely ID and pick off a significant % of your population they'd be in tufts, seams and piping. Box springs are different, in that it's easy for the bugs to get in and out of the thin fabric at the bottom, which often has gaps or tears. One ento (Potter? Miller?) says that if you can only afford one wrapper, it should go on the box. That said, if you have bugs, they can be in the headboard, the frame, baseboards, crown moldings, cracks, etc. DE, properly applied (even if you don't hit every surface in the house) should help you long term. Contact killers (alcohol, detergents, as appropriate for the surface you're using them on) can also reduce your population, if you actually hit bugs with them.

I'd try to sleep right and eat right, while finding ways to alleviate the symptoms (OTC or Rx). Cover up parts of your body that you want to appear bite free and expose some part that you are willing to sacrifice (I suspect that a lot of the NYC women who are wearing legging with bare feet/ankles this season sleep with socks on.) Then read one of the comprehensive guides (like the State of Michigan) and try and go about this more systematically. It doesn't pay to be up at midnight to try and find bugs. IIRC, they sense that you're up and they are laying low. Also, check out bedbugcentral.com's YouTube videos, which are very educational and don't try to sell you crap. There's also a series on YT from PCO Austin Frishman (user pestpro), where he calmly and systematically inspects a room.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 21:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Out Of Options,

We're continuing to pull for you.

As I said in effect on your other thread...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/please-help-13

...if no one else has any better ideas, may I put forward this "tape" idea again.

Without being able to visualize your current bed arrangement before you're able to save up for a new one that can rise off the floor – nevertheless, with your current bed is there anything to lose if you put simple clear one-sided "scotch tape" such as...

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/MMM144/10Q1

...or clear packing/mailing tape available in any hardware store or stationery store such as...

https://www.goesource.com/default.aspx?tabid=93&class=TAPE_CARTON_SEALING_HAND_GRADE

...with the NON-sticky side exposed, horizontally around your current bed, down low near the floor, in any and all locations the bugs need to cross from the floor, or from wherever, to get to you while you're in the bed. It will keep them from being able to get a grip and climb up vertical surfaces or across vertical surfaces to get to you. The tape is cheap so use lots! Make sure to keep all the tape surfaces smooth, not wrinkled. Also put lots of it on the wall near and next to your bed (if the bed is adjunct to the wall) and on the sides of the bed; also on the ceiling over the outlines of your bed, with extra clearance of a few inches, so any bugs on the ceiling can't get to over where your bed is to drop down on you.

There's a hiding space under the bed that's integrally part of the bed, did you say? If so, you may still be able to keep bugs from climbing out of the hiding space to where you're sleeping by sticking tape on the upper rim of the hiding space opening.

PM me if it would be worthwhile to talk about this in more detail.

Maybe suggestions from other participants on this forum, in addition to cilecto above, will be forthcoming as well.

Then let us all know every day how you're doing.

jrbtnyc

4. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 23:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into the tape.

As far as OTC/prescribed medicines, I am under 18 and my doctor will not prescribe it, even if I got up the courage to ask for it while my mom was there.

I have a boxspring and a mattress, I think. I plan on putting the mattress and boxspring in storage if possible, and I am looking around for a metal frame for a bed that is up and off the ground. This will take some effort and a lot of stuff will need to be moved.. *sigh*

I will be checking out the youtube videos over the next few days after I get more cleaning done.. eerghh....

As far as the tape idea goes, the bed is right against the wall. I will only be able to get the tape on two sides, unfortunately. That is another reason I am wanting to get a new bed.

I will give updates as to whether or not I still have my sanity..

Thank you again.

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 0:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Am I visualizing your description correctly? Just to make sure in case there might still be a way to get this to work: the zone of the wall where your bed adjoins the wall needs to be off-limits so no bugs can come off the wall onto you while you're in the bed. So, you place clear non-sticky tape in *vertical* strips on the wall from floor to ceiling (connecting with more tape on the ceiling itself), say, 6-12 inches in front of where your pillow is, and 6-12 inches after where your feet are. The bugs therefore can't get to that section of the wall which your bed connects to, because they can't horizontally cross the tape that's on the vertical wall surface.

6. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 8:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Jrbtnyc,

They will still be able to get to my bed from the floor on the wall and my bed itself. My bed is sitting in a corner of the room, touching the wall, and I can not move it by myself or with the help of my mom. It is too heavy.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 8:58:11
    #

Login to Send PM

> As far as OTC/prescribed medicines, I am under 18 and my doctor will not prescribe it, even if I got up the courage to ask for it while my mom was there.

I'm thinking something that doesn't require a prescription against irritation, such as aloe or calamine. Whatever works for you.

I would not bother with trying to store things. Do what you can with the things you have at home. This could mean a giant "banana" bag and duct tape for your mattress and box spring rather than a fancy encasement.

Hang in there.

8. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 14:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey cilecto,

Sorry for that, I had thought you were referring to something to help me sleep. Calamine lotion and similar is somewhat helpful, but I still get itchy at night.

My only concern about bagging the bed up is whether or not I do it right. I will look into it. Thank you.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 14:59:55
    #

Login to Send PM

> My only concern about bagging the bed up is whether or not I do it right. I will look into it. Thank you.

If your box spring harbors bugs and you seal it shut "right" (but at low cost) you'll likely see reduced activity for a while (note, bugs elsewhere will continue to feed and breed). If you do it "wrong", you won't poison yourself and you won't burn your house down. You'll just reevaluate what to do next.

10. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 20:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I will start looking into ways of sealing it. If anything I will probably just stick it out in the shed if there is room for 18 months or so.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 20:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Please bear in mind that moving things around risks spreading. And placing things in the shed unbagged is no guarantee, BB can feed on birds and rodents. And you can contaminate other items in the shed. And if the BB are in places other than your bed, which is likely if this has gone on for a while, removing the bed will only give you a little relief, as the bugs will just come at you from where they are.

And again, are there no responsible adults who you can bring into the picture to help you out?

12. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 20:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't move things around in the shed much, and we can bomb the shed after moving the bed in there (and we plan to). If anything I will look on craigslist to have it "properly" disposed of.

If there were responsible adults I would have had them in the picture by now, I am not trying to be some kid who is trying to take all of the responsibility. I really wish there was another option, but there isn't where I live. I am not sure why it has to be continually brought up if I already gave the answer in a previous thread..

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 1:51:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Out Of Options - 4 hours ago  » 
    We don't move things around in the shed much, and we can bomb the shed after moving the bed in there (and we plan to). If anything I will look on craigslist to have it "properly" disposed of.
    If there were responsible adults I would have had them in the picture by now, I am not trying to be some kid who is trying to take all of the responsibility. I really wish there was another option, but there isn't where I live. I am not sure why it has to be continually brought up if I already gave the answer in a previous thread..

Hi Out of Options,

I want to let you know that bug bombs are NOT a good idea for treating bed bugs. I would recommend other options for treating the shed.

As for the "responsible adults" issue, I think everyone is just trying to help. You sound like you're under 18 and you sound like you're under a lot of stress. I think it's reasonable for people hearing all this to encourage you to get some adults who can help involved if possible.

Bed bugs are really hard to get rid of. It takes a coordinated effort, time, and money. But the cooperation among everyone in the home is crucial.

On another note, I would note that lots of people here have said they benefitted from talking to a doctor or therapist about the stress and anxiety which comes with this situation. I hope you'll consider doing so too.

The comprehensive guides in the Resources may be a help to you as Ci recommended.

Also, please note: the methods involving tape which jrbtnyc is recommending are experimental and I would not recommend anyone following these suggestions at this time. With all due respect to jrbtnyc, and I do appreciate his trying something new, I generally think it's best that people do not recommend methods not already proven to work well.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 2:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 17 hours ago  » 
    > As far as OTC/prescribed medicines, I am under 18 and my doctor will not prescribe it, even if I got up the courage to ask for it while my mom was there.
    I'm thinking something that doesn't require a prescription against irritation, such as aloe or calamine. Whatever works for you.
    I would not bother with trying to store things. Do what you can with the things you have at home. This could mean a giant "banana" bag and duct tape for your mattress and box spring rather than a fancy encasement.
    Hang in there.

Funny is that I've been online for an hour looking at alternatives to those expensive encasements. And I'm thinking...

15. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 13:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I had already explained my situation in previous threads and that is why I am "Out Of Options". I think I will stop posting here, because my situation is hard to understand. Thanks for all of your help. If anyone has any suggestions I will still read PMs but will only lurk from here on out.

Thanks.

16. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 14:41:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Out Of Options: hopefully I can speak for other forum participants in saying, please feel free to *send* us PM's as well.

See my initial comment on Out Of Option's original thread http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/please-help-13:

This [tape] approach incorporates a philosophy that is untested, so if anyone reading this thinks I shouldn't recommend this for consideration by O.O.O. then I won't.

Of course I'll comply with your recommendations, nobugs, and reserve future discussions of the tape hypothesis to a thread or threads dedicated to it, while seeking through outside work to prove or disprove its merits.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,506 posts in 49,276 topics over 152 months by 21,596 of 22,019 members. Latest: tlc6225, Laurenke, elco1996