Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Starting hell with one little BedBug?

(15 posts)
  1. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 12 2008 22:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I lived at an amazing bachelor apartment for 8 month and moved to a 2 bedroom furnished at the begining of the month.Then told him I hated the place and would be leaving at the end of the monthdue to not the best vibes. He said that was fine. I INTENSElly checked the mattress ad surrounding areas but this monday I called my landlord to complain about bites. He asured me there had NEVER been any problem with BB's at this house and came and sprayed flea killing stuff becuase the previous tenenet had a dog. Next day, more bites, I went to the doctor and the Pest Company, took off my sweatshirt and they IMMEDIATLEY said BB's. I cried and cried and they gave me some friggen intense pesticide they said would stop BB's from biting me that night, I called my landlord, he freaked out and told me he'd meet me at home. He and his friedn came and desembled the bed and checked it throughly. They say nothing, I saw nothing in fact. He sprayed the HELL out of my mattress. this morning, a bite on my face, but I'm not sure if its new, could just be delayed. Pest Control guy came (best in VAncouver I guess, ORKIN) he looked around intensely and found ONE BB on my mattress dead. From the pesticide? I don't know. He's coming to spray tommorow, he said this was the ONLY sign of bugs and it might just be the one from an outside source. I'm hating life at this point.
    Heres the thing. I don't actually HAVE any furniture! I've had my laundry guy do ALL my laundry, all sheets, towels curtains, robes, carpet from my old place in hot hot water and dried HOT. I've sectioned stuff into NEED NOW bag and NEED LATER bag, I plan to put the need later into storage tommorow to prevent it from being contaiminated. all i have is books, cds pictures a computer and a stereo.

Can I still move at the end of the month?
    What do I need to do to ensure this [expletive deleted] doesn't come with me?
    Please help, I'm really confused.

2. DanDaMan

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2008 4:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't usually come in packs of one...

Moving depends a lot on how much furniture you have. Clothes and small things are easy because you can leave them in garbage bags and deal with them when you have time, but furniture is hard to clean and hard to keep sealed and hard to inspect.

3. completelybuggedout

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2008 9:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you I would move at the end of the month given the fact you said you have no furniture. That being said, I would redo the wash protocol before taking anything into the new place, and inspect your cds, stereo etc well before moving it in. There are threads on here about what to do with books and papers and how to treat them. You are lucky in the sense that a PCO did in fact find a bug dead or not and will be treating. I hope all goes well for you with the move...others on here may not agree or suggest that you should go ahead and move but I personally think if protocol is followed closely you should be ok. Good Luck!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2008 11:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You can never be 100% sure you won't take them, so do EVERYTHING you can to avoid it. Do not pack anything that has not been washed and sealed in a clean bag. Read the FAQS for how to deal with clothing and other stuff. Get multiple treatments (2 weeks apart) up until the day you leave. Make sure everything is sealed from the moment it is washed and dried, even the stuff going into storage.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2008 4:56:14
    #

Login to Send PM

SPO - don't want to spook you, but there have been multiple posts here about finding bugs in CD and DVD cases (and players too), so just be aware of that when you move. I'm not exactly sure how you treat for that, other than inspecting and wiping. Maybe you could steam, I've no clue? I would definitely discard whatever containers you're currently storing your CDs in.

6. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2008 20:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

ok..... But from one bedbug so far? How would I even make Sure my computer and Stereo are fine?
    I've had no further bites/ signs of these guys......I'm well aware i might be within a egg hatching period and in 5 days life might become MUCH worse, but so far my PCO has only found the one and we sprayed yesterday. I'm making sure my landlord sprays again in 10 days and in teh meantime taking HUGE paranoia, freezing books and DVD's / D.Earth all all over place/Laundry Sanitation/ Immediate Laundry -> Storage / Vacuuming mattress and room daily / Petroleum jellied bed legs. God I hope this doesn't become an infestation and jsut remain a single hungry little bug.

7. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 11:19:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The only precaution that my family took with the remaining stuff in our apartment, really, was having treatments every two weeks until we moved. We had two and our third should have been the day we moved out. Of course, that didn't happen cuz we were moving but we also didn't take anything from our apartment except the few outfits for the kids and us and our electronics. We left any furniture that we still had in the apartment for the LL to dispose of cuz it was the least he could do for us. Besides, carrying that down 4 flights wasn't something that we wanted to do. It was all defaced so it could NOT be recycled again. So far things have been good and no bugs have been crawling out of our tv, computer, ect... Hopefully, if you have done all the steps to clean everything and put into storage, you can make a bug free transition to a better life and be able to sleep without any unwanted bed guests. Good luck!!!

8. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 22:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I keep asking... again, how paranoid do I have to be with my stereo and computer.
    All my cd's and books are sealed in bags with duct tape vacuumed them all and probably won't be opening them for a long time. I'm pretty sure I'm finding the first little bites from my itty baby bugs I bet are here, I think I found a skin too. Sucks. Bagged it.
    Called my landlord to tell him and he'll be here in 45 minutes, I jsut want to friggen get the hell out of the city but I do NOT want to bring them home to my Mum and Dad's. Should I stay here another month to get more treatments? Is that tempting fate? It'll be two by the end of this month when i wanted to leave. I'm still so frustrated this has happened AFTER I gave my notice, i wasn't even leaving becuase of these things now it seems I'm suck with them as a punishment fr wanting to move.
    How am I even going to move with everything bagged and tagged and binned. People are going to not rent to me.

Oh just now, suddenly my house showed up on bedbugregistry, which I checked intnesely before I moved. I think it's the downstairs tenents that posted it. They gave their notice too.

"Series of transient tenants on the top floor. One or more happened to bring bedbugs with them. They were first identified by pest control on March 10, 2008."

I also found out not only does my house have them but my friend has had them for 2 months but did nothing and said nothing to anyone. She said she finds them in her bathroom "constantly"

I died

Please help, I'm getting incredibley depressed.

jess

9. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 23:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

i found a big ol' Adult just now when I was doing my usual intense vacuum of the bed before i hop in for a bad nights sleep.

caught him/her with tweezers and tossed 'em into a ziploc. sigh, guess the ORKIN man didn't get him the first time.

jess

10. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2008 0:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

i don't know if i can really answer your question regarding stereo and computer. my understanding is that electronics are generally low risk unless they are close to a harbourage site (in the same room that you sleep in, within a few feet, for example). if it's an older stereo that you would consider replacing, maybe now might be the time to do that. as for the laptop, i have heard that if you have a computer tech open it up and clean it thoroughly with that crazy-freezy-cleany stuff, that this could potentially minimize the risk (please excuse my sad attempt at remembering the type of cleaner, i've been grading all day and my brain is in a fog). of course, if going this route you get into all sorts of ethical considerations regarding exposing the computer technician to a potential source of bb infestation. i don't have any real solution for this, unless you are computer-saavy enough to take the laptop apart and clean it yourself (disclaimer: i'm not suggesting anyone do this unless they are a trained computer technician or otherwise experienced in working with computers.)

personally i can't advise how long you should hang around before planning to move. some would advise that waiting for a few treatments to be done would be prudent, if you wish not to take any bugs with you. others might argue that if the items that you are planning to move are low risk, you might consider bailing sooner. it's hard to say. you will have to judge based on the extent of your infestation, and also what items you are willing to give up on rather than take the risk of moving them.

good luck!

11. jberry

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 21:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm obsessed too! i was last bit 11 days ago and before that my first bite was i think around 20 days ago. I found one bug and every day i search for new ones. I check the bed, the floor, the bed frame, my bench by my bed every day and still haven't found any other sign. i did get my apt sprayed once when i saw the bug and was told by my landlord that only 1 treatment is needed with the guy he uses. I'm obsessed in finding one so at least i know i'm not so ocd. I'm getting my apt sprayed again next week while i'm away, then again two weeks later. THen maybe i'll be able to sleep on my bed.

12. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2008 0:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, a few weeks later let's do a little update. My landlord is letting me live here rent free til we are sure teh problem is erradicated. I now have a bed (his) a basket of shoes. a stereo. (mine) a tv (his) and everything thing else i own, bagged, sealed and eithr on my deck or in the corner duct taped. It sucks i'll be going another month like this but id rather not move and roll out infected stuff, i'd rather have it treated a few times. and wash the hell out of everthing before i move in. I love my laundry guy too, he charges me so little everytime i bring in a load and he says " how's.....your problem......" under his breath. Sweet.

After i caught my buggies who i have now named " big red" =adult and "pinky"= nymph uhh nd keep in ziplocs on my tv and talk to daily and actually sort of want to feed.......

i forced my landlord over here. He died. and got our pco over here the next day and encased my mattress. Seemingly our first PCO did a [expletive deleted] JOB!!!!!!!! our pco told us it was his last day, I INSISTED he do an extreme job, this time.

Now i'm...waiting....and wondering... because i get....... single...... red bumps. occasionally. sigh.
    Are my bugs still around? feeding with delicate single nibbles?

I'm moving at the end of the month for real this time.
    help me get ready.

13. sopissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2008 1:02:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Crescendo paranoia!!

14. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2008 3:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

>help me get ready.

Do some research to try and figure out what to do with the things you have sealed with duct tape, etc., before you move. If you are sure there are not bedbugs in those things, you would probably want to bring them to your new place. You couldn't be 100% sure, though, so you could just decide to take the chance because you're pretty confident. Another strategy some have used, sometimes in conference with PCO, is to open up your sealed things after several treatments and before moving so that any bugs that were in those things will come out in search of food, cross poison and die - or so the theory goes.

Several here have moved recently - Angie, Stamps - so hopefully they will weigh in, on what they took and didn't take, etc.

One thing about moving that many agree on, including the FAQs - if you are going to move and take belongings, it is recommended to have had effective treatments at the old place.

15. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2008 6:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I can tell you how I did it without the bugs. Left everything behind!! The only furniture we took with us was the few pieces that were never in our infested apartment. All our clothes, washed, dried, bagged, and stored in our garage for about 1 1/2 months in the cold Nebraska winter. The kids toys, stored in the garage. Our t.v., computer, stuff like that, I never suspected bugs in there. We had no soft furniture left so nothing to worry about there. When we moved, I bought a washer and dryer and it ran nonstop for the first 2 weeks we lived here. Once again, washing everything as it was opened and hoping and praying that I would never ever again see another bedbug except in pictures. So far it has been 7 weeks and still bug free. My advice, be vigilant in washing and if you have a question about something being full of bugs, throw it out if it can be parted with. It is a tough decision to throw away some of your life, but I couldn't spend my life with these blood-suckers. I had to make the sacrifice. Good Luck!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams