Stain Identification Resource?

(14 posts)
  1. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 10:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Could someone please point me to the resource on stain identification?

I am 2 months in post-treatment (the PCO came 5 times to spray/dust). I keep thinking it's over, and then I find something that frightens me and I give it another week.

Last night I found something on my sheet that could very well be a small chunk of dirt (my boyfriend bikes brings home a lot of grime!). It was actually embedded inside the weaving of the sheet, so I went in with tweezers to try to pull it out. In the process, it turned into a light-brown dusty stain. So I think it's dirt. But I'd like to review the resource to see if it could be a piece of dried poo.

Thank you. This website has been very helpful!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 11:11:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have complied some links for you below:

Blood spots on sheets primer

Bed Bugs Limited - gallery 4 for faecal examples

You can also post an image here for confirmation or use Bed Bug Blue.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 11:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David! That's just what I needed. I am thinking it's not, since it's very light brown. I'll try to post a picture later when I'm home.

I am definitely getting the Passive Monitor, but the Bed Bug Blue is a good idea, too. Question: how long does the liquid last/when does it expire?

Thanks!
    Nicole

4. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2016 10:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is an image of the stain (hopefully the link works). It is light brown and dusty, not dark, so I don't think it is a fecal stain. Hopefully just dried mud. The sheet is all messed up because I took tweezers to it, trying to dislodge the chunk (it was stuck beneath the weave).

https://postimg.org/image/an5h2gu2v/

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2016 10:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would agree, wrong appearance for faecal. Let's go back to blaming the boy friend.

I also checked my BBB kit and there is no expiration date on the liquid. It's basically not something that goes off.

David

6. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2016 12:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David! Yes, let's blame him. I always do, haha!

Thanks for checking the expiration too. That's great to know.

Nicole

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2016 12:36:34
    #

Login to Send PM

FlaxSeedsScareMe - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, David! Yes, let's blame him. I always do, haha!

Its OK, it balances out the number of times I blame my girlfriend.

David

8. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2016 23:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again! I found a new stain this morning (but no other signs for two weeks). This is a blood stain, which I know is inconclusive. And -- again!-- it could possibly be from my boyfriend because he has a cut on his arm.

David, I think I saw another post where you mentioned that an irregular shape is probably not a BB fecal stain. This one is irregular, so I was hoping to get your opinion.

https://postimg.org/image/74mehbd5x/

Neither of us have any itches (yet?) and we both are reactive.

Thank you!
    Nicole

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 4:42:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The answer to the new ID can be found by reading the reference links I provided earlier.

I am more than happy to confirm what you think it is based on cross checking as that helps others to see how empowering the information on this site is when you use it.

David

10. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 9:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. Based on slides 1&3, I think my stain is "inconclusive" because it is fresh blood. I know you said that fecal stains are generally round when they're dried and black, but what about when they are freshly smushed, like if you rolled over onto it in your sleep? Couldn't they become irregular-shaped, like my stain? I guess that was my main question.

Looking at it again now… there is another less-solid stain below it of the same shape… so I'm thinking it's probably from the cut on my boyfriend's arm. If it WAS a smushed BB fecal, it wouldn't have smushed in those two spots without a trail in between, right? Unless it smushed against one of our arm's and then made another stain when the arm laid down again?

Thanks again for your help and your efforts to educate us! I feel like a detective.

Nicole

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 10:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK the colour indicates fresh blood.

The shape of stains is irrelevant unless the colour is correct first.

Given that a "rolled on" and crushed bed bug would leave a body you can also rule that one out. In fact given the fact that I have found so few bed bugs crushed to death as people sleep its safe to say its not common. Its basically another one of those things that people think which actually make no sense when you stop and actually think about it.

So given the cuts / marks on his arm it is most logical to attribute the fresh blood to being from him and not from any cunning invisible bed bugs that are leaving no other traces.

David

12. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 10:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Ha! Thanks, David. I didn't think it was actually a crushed bug, but rather a crushed fecal. The first fecal I ever saw was fresh… I thought it looked like a piece of lint. When I picked it up and rolled it in my fingers, it turned to blood on my fingers. So I thought maybe it could be that.

But I am glad to hear it's inconsistent with the BB stains you've seen. And yes, considering there have been NO other signs in two weeks, I think it's probably from my boyfriend's cut arm.

It is almost funny how cunning we think they are. We probably give them more credit than they are due.

Thanks again for taking a look!

Nicole

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 10:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No the process of digestion by the bed bug turns the blood from red to brown waste. This faecal is always brown.

Yes any organism so heavily adapted to live alongside humans deserves more credit than it gets. I personally find them a most satisfying prey to stalk.

David

14. FlaxSeedsScareMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2016 11:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahhhh, I see what you're saying now about red vs. brown. Yes, this new stain on the sheets is definitely red, not brown.

Boyfriend strikes again!

Thanks again for your help!
    Nicole

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982