(9 posts)
  1. Hopefully_recovering

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 31 2017 19:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I found this on my mattress encasement, under the fitted sheet, on my boyfriend's side of the bed. I don't THINK it's anything to worry about, based on its weird shape/lack of serious smearing/the fact that it's mostly gone after just rubbing it with a bit of saliva/water, but pleeeeease reassure me, or tell me if you think it's something to worry about!

First image is after I tried a quick saliva smear test with my finger, it smeared a tiny bit but not very much really. Second image is after I rubbed at it a little bit more with saliva and water on a paper towel, and it all but completely went away.

http://imgur.com/Y9pV5g6

http://imgur.com/d6jdKOe

I'm referring more to the darker spot on the bottom--the big, lighter thing doesn't seem concerning. My boyfriend gets a lot of ingrown hairs that get scratched open/seems to track in a lot of random dirt, so hoping none of this is indicative of anything more anyway. Let me know what you think, experts!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 3:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming your logic.

These are not bed bug related and although it's not conclusive my mate Occam is muttering that he favors the boyfriend hypothesis.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Hopefully_recovering

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 8:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply, David! I've done a lot of reading here, before eventually posting, and your friend Occam has come in handy several times to calm my anxieties. I sometimes have a hard time listening to him, as--if it wasn't clear from my name--we did have a very small BB problem a couple of months back.

Mind you, we're now three treatments, almost three months,, and a clear dog inspection later, and I'm still crazy, so I have a couple of questions!

Just to clarify, are you saying it's not bed bug related based on its characteristics/the way it looks/sits/behaves, or because there's a simpler, more plausible explanation for it? Like I said, I'm still a little nuts, and the "not conclusive" thing threw me off slightly (although I think you're saying Occam/the boyfriend hypothesis isn't necessarily conclusive, not the negative ID).

Thanks again!!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 9:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes Occam's good words are often drowned out my Schrodinger's fears and the only solution is to be mindful of that fact.

My call on its status is based on it's appearance and physical properties.

The "not conclusive" is to say that Occam may or may not be correct. To test the theory I can only suggest a temporary exclusion of the b/f from the equation to see if he is the cause. I guess it all depends on if he snores and if you want a few nights of better quality sleep?

David

5. Hopefully_recovering

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 11:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, that's definitely reassuring! We've been without any evidence for a couple of months now, and while my rational sense said that wasn't a stain to be concerned about (fairly sure it was just some kind of dirt if it mostly removed that easily) I'm still unfortunately sort of on high alert for anything suspicious. I'm working hard to try and leave that level of alert behind.

As for the boyfriend, he does snore occasionally, but he also pays rent here, so I'll be unable to temporarily remove him from the equation very easily! Coincidentally, today is our anniversary, so it's extra not an option, hahaha.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 13:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

LOL, I have shall we say an alternative containment option at my end but that's off topic.

Hopefully you can / do appreciate the logic in routine monthly monitoring as opposed to overly worrying about the slightest blemish.

David

7. Hopefully_recovering

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 15:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha! I certainly appreciate the humor to detract from the worries!

I've definitely been trying to be rational when it comes to my worrying/monitoring, and the woman who runs the K9 company I used has been an amazing resource in terms of hearing my concerns and guiding me as to what is or is not worth worrying about. I'm thinking of sending her a jumbo bag of treats for the pups as a thank-you for all of the informal therapy she's provided me!

Anyway, I'm trying to be rational, but I've just found out one of my best friend discovered a bed bug in her apartment, which has put me back on edge a bit. We don't think there's any reason to think she got them from us, based on timelines and precautions, but it seems like a really strange coincidence...then again, we live in a major midwestern city where there are problems popping up daily on public transit, in offices, etc., so it could be just that. A coincidence.

Again, thank you for the support and reality checks!

8. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 15:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully_recovering - 22 minutes ago  » 
    then again, we live in a major midwestern city where there are problems popping up daily on public transit, in offices, etc., so it could be just that. A coincidence.

I read a report from a few months ago... Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, SLC, KCMO, Lexington... were among some of the top rated BB 'problem areas' in the country... sadly, my general area was top 10... but, it's very likely that it's not got anything to do with you as this epidemic is rapidly growing in numbers.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  9. Hopefully_recovering

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 15:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, mine is one of those as well.

I agree that their issue is likely enough to have come from another source in my city's current BB climate, but I am having a hard time not letting Occam get me in the reverse...in that it would be simpler for their problem to have come from me than randomly from some other source within a couple of months from my issue? Ugh. Trying not to let a likely coincidence get me back down!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,817 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs