Stain ID, Please!

(9 posts)
  1. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 17:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this weird spot on my sheets this morning. I check my sheets every night, so I know it wasn't there the night before. I'd also squished what I think may have been a nymph a couple days ago, but cannot be sure. Have also been sleeping with the windows open now that it's summer, so it really could be anything (but bed bugs, I hope).

image1<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

image2<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For size:
    IMG_2273<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also noticed this, which I'm hoping isn't eggs...?

image3<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I also have what four dermatologists have diagnosed as folliculitis -- flares up when it's hot out. But of course having gotten bed bugs twice (and fumigating all my things twice as well), I am always paranoid.

I also checked the part where my wall meets the floor (my bed is propped against the wall), and found a long-ish light-colored insect. Very tiny. Killed it immediately. I've also caught 2 beetles by my bed (which is next to the window) in the 11 months I've lived in this apartment, so I'm hoping that's what they are. Took some tape to the little sill thing (admittedly I don't vacuum that tiny ledge as often as I should), and didn't see anything out of the ordinary except for this black, spherical speck. I read that bed bug feces smear when wet, right? Didn't smear when I wet it, so...

(Sorry for the gross close-ups...which may not even be useful) Stuck to a regular envelope, for size reference

image2 (1)<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is a close-up of the largest, most prominent speck on the right...
    IMG_2267<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1) Can someone ID the stain for me? I have no scabs, open wounds or anything.
    2) Are carpet beetle larvae light colored/yellow-ish and super tiny (seemed long-ish)?
    3) Should I be worried about the speck? I know it's hard to see, but this was the clearest pic I could get.

Please help! I'm moving in a couple days and want to take all the precautionary measures possible. Thank you so much.

2. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 19:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Found another one of those tiny larvae/nymphs... Used tape, stuck on a kitchen towel...

This is the clearest shot I could get. Once again, seemed long-ish... Carpet beetle, I hope?

image4 (1)<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks again

3. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 6:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Changed my sheets last night and found this under my back (where the bulk of my folliculitis is...)

IMG_2281<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mark on top was a result of me trying to smear the speck, which promptly broke into two pieces.

IMG_2280<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

clearer shot.

Please help!!!

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 7:16:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but some of the stains look too light and diffuse for fecal, and fecal will not flake and brush off fabric as it appears it might in the latter photos?

Other than having had bed bugs in the past, what makes you think you have them now?

Hopefully an expert will come by soon and put your mind to ease but only a few people here make fecal IDs.

There are kits that are very good at ruling out bed bug fecal that are sold at this site's Amazon store. You might want to invest in one of the kits for peace of mind.

Richard

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 10:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Not an expert but some of the stains look too light and diffuse for fecal, and fecal will not flake and brush off fabric as it appears it might in the latter photos?
    Other than having had bed bugs in the past, what makes you think you have them now?
    Hopefully an expert will come by soon and put your mind to ease but only a few people here make fecal IDs.
    There are kits that are very good at ruling out bed bug fecal that are sold at this site's Amazon store. You might want to invest in one of the kits for peace of mind.
    Richard

Fecal stains are usually going to be along the edge of the piping on the mattress. Doesn't look bedbug related to me.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 10:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Jim. Also, could you ID the stain in the main post, as well as the first speck? Any idea re: carpet beetle (or other common house insects') larva? Thank you so much!

7. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 13:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

And could the first stain in the main post be from squishing a bedbug in my sleep? Sorry for all the posts -- am super anxious and need assurance before I move next week. Thanks in advance

8. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 16:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

pleasehelpbedbugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    And could the first stain in the main post be from squishing a bedbug in my sleep? Sorry for all the posts -- am super anxious and need assurance before I move next week. Thanks in advance

Not likely. If you were to squish a recently fed bedbug in the middle of the night the stain would be much more red than that.
    Professional pco and inventor of a new bedbug trap

9. pleasehelpbedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2015 16:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, Jim. Could any of the larvae pictured be bed bug nymphs? I'm sorry, I know they aren't clear... They were very tiny and long-ish, did not move quickly, pale yellow.

Also, I saw and killed a little, round, yellow-ish, spherical bug in the kitchen on the window sill (which is next to my room) last night. Are fourth-stage nymphs spherical or flat?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316