Square Bed Bug Interceptors-Why May Fail

(3 posts)
  1. dancingwthebbs

Banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2014 16:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

This was an enlightening video, showing how a bed bug almost escaped a square box made out of clear slippery shipping tape.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

He pressed his feet up against the where two walls meet in a corner, and hoisted himself up that way.

What does this mean? That putting slippery shipping tape on the walls, parallel to the floor, in an attempt to keep the bed bugs from climbing up the wall will likely fail as soon as they get to the joint of two walls.

Now, this is an AWFUL lot of work just for one mofo bug. But, since it's either exterminate them or control them, and their population expands with every bite they get from a mammal... maybe best to do some initial set up to make it harder for bed bugs to bite you.

The potential remedy?

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D5N3R5Y?psc=1

Except the curve bulging out from the wall needs to curve toward the wall and the glass needs to be thicker so that the bed bug has no corner to hoist itself up from.

Whomever wants to, go ahead and run with the idea. Go ahead and take out a patent application for a new type of bed bug barrier.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2014 17:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbugs are extremely resourceful and can/will adapt to many things that people do in an attempt to avoid them getting to them. I have long said "isolate and they will find away around it" as this video and other online prove. We even have confirmed posts from people that have had bedbugs drop down from above.

With regards the patent ability since E B Lake in 1865 first filed a design for an isolator all other patents have failed to be granted due to prior art. In this case your idea although logical can't be patented following your post or public disclosure.

Personally I prefer an approach with relies more of bedbugs natural behavior patterns so you work towards more rapid extermination rather than forcing them to adapt which can mean spreading the infestation further through the property.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. dancingwthebbs

Banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 22 2014 17:10:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bed-bugscouk.

I agree with you.

So I am trying to keep them in their natural behavior patterns, walking across the floor toward the bed legs, where they are more likely to pick up dessicant powder (such as Cimexa) than if they have an easy time dispersing along the wall, to hide in cracks and crevices in the wall, around the window frame, and behind hanging picture frames. Those places are harder for them to contact Cimexa than on the floor, where it is dusted on to.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo