Sprays question

(18 posts)
  1. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 19:19:34
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a place in town that sells pro sprays and such for pest issues. Well the owner suggested I buy concentrated Telstar and Tecko Pro and make my own spray. I sprayed a live one and it's still moving a half hour later. Has anyone had success with these?

2. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 19:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Telstar is bifenthrin based, bifenthrin is a pyrethroid and some BB populations are resistant to some pyrethroids. Cool that you were able to carry out your own test so you know to switch now.

3. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 20:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as actual recommendations from pros on this site, I personally found this very helpful:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/best-bed-bug-spray

This post in particular:

P Bello - 3 years ago  » 
    Dear drew,
    The pros do NOT consult amazon to make insecticide purchase decisions nor do we rely upon the testimonials posted on various websites by non-professionals either.
    Simply stated, and based upon my interaction with the professional market, the top bed bug products being used by professionals are as follows:
    Liquid Concentrate Residuals:
    Temprid SC, Transport, Phantom
    Dusts:
    Tempo Dust, Alpine Dust, DE (in various forms), (some are using cimexa)
    Aerosols:
    Bedlam Plus
    Resin Vapor Type Insecticide Strips:
    Nuvan ProStrip
    Virtualy none of the pros are using the natural type products which do not contain an actual insecticide toxicant in the formulation. Guess why ?
    (Note to all: I have a professional relationship with manufacturers of certain insecticide products, equipment and supplies.)
    However, I will never recommend a product that does not in fact actually work !
    Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 21:09:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! I feel like I've been ripped off! I have one can of bedlam plus and it isn't going to treat the whole place. I did find this from the same person you quoted.

"The AI in Talastar is bifenthrin and it is manufactured by FMC however, in seeking a better performing bed bug product they developed Transport.

Your Talstar will likely work at least as a direct contact treatment and provide some degree of residual activity.

However, it is not a current leading choice of today's pros."

But the MODS on the Tekko Pro doesn't even mention bed bugs and I'm dismayed to see that both of these products are carried by Home Depot and Walmart. Grrr. To be fair I've been using DE over the top but I feel so sad that I bought these and they don't work. Or do they? Not instantly.

5. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 21:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello is great with DIY advice. I read everything I could, and directly asked him questions as we had no way to afford professional treatments. For the record, I spot treated known harborages with Bedlam Plus, sprayed the whole townhome with a gallon of Temprid SC mix (according to direction), and Cimexa'd literally every crack and crevice I could get to. Then I repeated the Temprid SC in two weeks and then two weeks after that. Never had to repeat Cimexa (as it shouldn't be applied where it would be disturbed) or the Bedlam Plus as the harborages never got "used" again thanks to the death of the population. Truth be told it was more work than that, but those are the chemicals I used, purchased because of Paul's amazingly helpful posts and advice.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  6. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 0:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Misery is right about P Bello, his posts are totally indispensable if you're going the DIY route. I suspect that you probably didn't get the best tools for the job, see if there's a return policy and if not just save it in case you have a problem with a different pest somewhere down the road.

7. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 9:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I should have known that local guy is out of touch because he doesn't carry Bedlam Plus, says people use it where they shouldn't "on beds", when the label clearly says to use it on beds.

8. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 9:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Misery, how did you locate the harborages?

9. iamdinner

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 10:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Calamity_Jane did the bugs you sprayed directly die yet?

10. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 16:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

iamdinner - 5 hours ago  » 
    Calamity_Jane did the bugs you sprayed directly die yet?

IamDinner, I don't know because I bagged the mattress up and labeled it but then I found oUT that the image looks like anew Aphid. Grrr the bed bugs have me crazed. I did see two in the bathroom today and last night, nymphs, so I used my sprays behind the electrical outlets but I have yet to find a nest.

11. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 19:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Calamity_Jane - 9 hours ago  » 
    Misery, how did you locate the harborages?

I literally went over my entire apartment inch by inch. I was methodical, and thorough with flashlights and everything else. I started with the obvious places and went out from there. They were along the lines where the ceiling meets the wall, behind the baseboards, and I suspect (not confirmed) along the carpet lines.

12. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 16:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, thank you Misery. Once you find one what do you do?

13. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Packing tape until I got them all and the tape was clear. Just stuck it down, pulled it back, folded it or stuck it to a sheet, rinse, repeat. I immediately Ziploc'd all of the taped bugs ofc. Then I sprayed the harborage with Bedlam Plus. I should say had it been on my bed I would have stuck with something labeled for use on my mattress. I caught my infestation early and found most of them in the ceiling/wall joints, so the BP! and Temprid SC were perfect to use.

14. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

For the fecal spotting I would wait for that to dry, dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and rub the spot clean. I never sprayed or poured it anywhere, was far too worried of a fire since I have pilot lights in my home.

15. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

This has been extremely helpful, thank you. I'm just now locating fecal spots (I think) on the ironing board cover (made of canvas) and inside a guitar. The guitar went through the Zapp bug bag this morning so it should be okay until tomorrow <sad chuckle>

16. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 20:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Very good information, Misery. Thank you!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  17. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 20:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I put that kind of stuff in a bag, until using it. Then it went back into a sealed bag and I would treat it (wash, dry, spray, whatever suited the item) once every week, week-and-a-half or so. That way I wasn't super stressed about it and yet I satisfied my need to clean EVERYTHING. Don't drive yourself nuts treating your guitar, just find an effective routine that works for you.

18. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 20:16:52
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 1 minute ago  » 
    Very good information, Misery. Thank you!

Thanks. I am glad to hear I helped someone somehow!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com