Sprayed for bed bugs today, scared

(5 posts)
  1. ah1913

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue May 1 2018 17:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

We have had signs of bed bugs off and on for a few months now (finding one here or there) but recently my mother and I have been getting multiple bites. So one night I tore my bed apart and found a cask (sp?) under my memory foam and a dead small one on my box spring. I bought a mattress cover and put it on my bed (I still continued to get bites afterwards) and got bed bug spray (Hot Shot brand). We sprayed today (my box spring, both couches, and my mother's lazy boy recliner).

Well I was sitting on one of my couches and a bed bug barely visible bit me. I found it crawling on my chest full of blood. Then about ten minutes later my mom had one on her shirt that was barely moving.

Well my question is do bed bugs panic when you start treatment and show up more? We went from hardly seeing any to two within 10 minutes. I'm freaking out and want to cover my house in spray. I'm afraid to sit on my bed. We haven't found a nest or any fecal matter. The only signs are the bites, the cask I found, and the few bugs we've seen. Please help me put my mind and my mother's at ease.

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 0:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can afford professional help, I highly recommend you get it. (it would be worth every penny)
    If not, you need to start researching these things like you intend to write a college thesis.
    After a few months of doing nothing to treat it, you'd be easily looking at numbers in the thousands. They typically hide in the day time, so you won't see many at all.
    Spraying a box spring, a recliner, and a couch is not going to solve the problem, not even close. They don't just stay on beds. They'll hide literally anywhere and everywhere. (baseboards, floor boards, carpet, curtains, window sills, clothing, books, toys, wood furniture...I could really just start listing off everything in your home, but you get the idea) To beat them, you'll need to de-clutter and treat basically every item and surface in your home one way or another. To answer your question...yes the spray will cause them to run away and can disorient them (so they can end up in some really strange places, like the ceiling, or rooms they were not in before) using spray the wrong way can definitely make matters worse. If you absolutely have to deal with the problem yourself, there is an insane amount of useful information on this site, definitely take advantage of it.

I doubt that did much to put your mind at ease, so I'll give you something that will. For now I recommend you look into buying or making some climb-ups for your bed legs and "make your bed an island" this will stop all or most of the biting at night while you're treating your home, which was all that kept me somewhat sane. I bought my climb-ups online, but there are a TON of guides online to make your own if you prefer that. (most people have the necessary stuff in their house already) Starving them this way will slow down their breeding, which is super helpful. Unfortunately they can survive 2 years without eating...so it's not a solution by itself.

If I made you feel worse, I'm very sorry but I'd rather be honest and scare you a little, than make you feel better and have things get out of control. You absolutely can beat these little buggers if you put in the work and/or get professional help. It's a lot of work, and it's a crappy situation to be in, but it's beatable.

3. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 1:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I strongly second getting a professional. Preferably heat treatment if you can afford it - especially if you are single-unit dwelling and not an apartment.

I also recommend getting Cimexa. You can pick some up off of Amazon. It's a powder with static-cling properties that kills bed bugs and other insects by drying them out. It's one of the few things that are pretty effective in killing bed bugs provided they walk through it. Since it is not a repellent, the bed bugs will not know to run away from the powder even if it is very harmful for them. If you place it in the cracks and crevices of your bed (perhaps also between the boxspring and your mattress) you can essentially use yourselves as bait, have the bed bugs walk through the Cimexa to get to you.

However, if you do get it - I STRONGLY recommend following the instructions which states that you only need a thin, barely visible layer. This product is very, very drying and will dry your skin and eyes. You also want to avoid breathing it in for this reason.

I thought I only used a little, but later on, my eyes felt incredibly dry and I wound up vacuuming it up today so that I wouldn't hurt myself. While I was doing so, I noticed that I used much more than I had expected and likely was reckless in application because of how terrified I was feeling.

4. ah1913

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 1:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your replies :). I live with my parents so I'm going to talk to them about looking into an exterminator. In the meantime, I plan on spraying more in more places (baseboards, etc) on my day off. Also clutter is a huge problem since we live in a small mobile home. Gotta say, it's a pretty big reason to want to declutter.

5. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 2:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

On the plus side, when you finally get rid of the bed bugs, you won't have to worry about getting reinfected by adjoining neighbors.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,510 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333