Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Spider vs. Bed Bug (Warning; PG-13 Due to Graphic Violence !)

(21 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 23 2015 22:40:01
    #

Login to Send PM

This video was prepared especially for bed bug victims, enjoy !

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

[link updated (x2)]

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 23 2015 23:17:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 24 2015 0:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

.... cool !!

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 24 2015 9:13:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you liked that.

Now, all we need is millions more spiders like that.

Note that we placed a more mature, plump & juicy BB in there about a half hour later and the spider reluctantly ate it. Possibly, it "was feeling full" but, actually, the BB pretty much walked into the waiting "jaws" of the spider.

Next, we should try a freshly fed BB so we can see the blood spill . . .

pjb

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 24 2015 12:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Wonder how many nymphs it would eat before full
    I don't know if there would be movement in the eggs to attract it to them, until hatching.
    Well Paul I guess you proved the no bedbug predator theory wrong huh

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 24 2015 21:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay tuned, in the near future there's a number of suitable predatory critters to put in the arena with bed bugs including but possibly not limited to:

> Scorpion (we have bark scorpions here)
    > RIFA (Red imported fire ant)
    > Ant lion (ugly critter but aptly named)
    > Widow spider (Black and Brown)
    > Centipede

pjb

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 24 2015 21:18:19
    #

Login to Send PM

> Ant lion (ugly critter but aptly named)
    > Centipede
    Ant lion larvae don't live indoors so they won't be of much help. House centipedes will feed on bed bugs, so they will be good subjects.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 26 2015 17:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Well. . . that was certainly, ummmm. . . interesting!

Actually, that was kinda cool!

But holy sh*t how big is that spider?!

It looks huge . . . is it a "big" spider or is it an optical illusion? . . . . Say in comparison to a black widow, brown recluse or a wolf spider?

Just trying to gauge the size of those type spiders . . . in laymen's terms??

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 26 2015 18:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, a few comments:

> This spider is a robust species as you can tell by its appearance. They're built very "stocky" if that makes sense. Here, it was many times larger than the bed bug devoured.

> Note that "next time" the intention is to have a recently fed bed bug which will result in the spilled blood which my guess may totally surprise the spider and, perhaps, cause it to stop eating the bed bug. This spilled blood will occur because, believe it or not, this spider ferociously devours its prey in a violent manner resulting in bits of body parts. This is different feeding behavior and methodology than those type of spiders which may feed on the bodily fluids of their prey.

> In size, the body of this spider may be a tad larger than that of a black widow but the legs are shorter and heavier than that of a black widow or a brown recluse.

> Most of the predatory species which may be used in the arena in the future are "outdoor type" critters but this project is being done solely for video purposes. For example, yellow jackets are predators but we'd have to cut their wings in order to keep them "grounded" for the bed bug "Thunder Dome Arena" project, two bugs enter one bug leaves.

> Could an ant lion kill a bed bug? Probably but, we won't know till we try it. Ant lions are also known as "doodle bugs". They excavate funnel shaped "pitfall" type traps in the soil into which prey animals fall. The ant lion buries itself in the center where just it's huge jaws may be seen. It grabs the prey when it falls into the center. Kinda-sorta like what you saw on Star Wars when Jabba was going to execute Han Solo. Now, would we expect to find an ant lion indoors? Of course not.

> Additionally, it's difficult to wrangle critters that can climb out of the bowl which a spider is able to do. So, we had some interesting logistics in the kitchen there . . .

10. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 26 2015 18:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello -  » 
    Note that "next time" the intention is to have a recently fed bed bug which will result in the spilled blood which my guess may totally surprise the spider and, perhaps, cause it to stop eating the bed bug. This spilled blood will occur because, believe it or not, this spider ferociously devours its prey in a violent manner resulting in bits of body parts. . . .
    but this project is being done solely for video purposes. .

. . . ummm, you know once a video is watched, one can’t “unsee” what was just seen right?!

P Bello -  » 
    For example, yellow jackets are predators but we'd have to cut their wings in order to keep them "grounded" for the bed bug "Thunder Dome Arena" project, two bugs enter one bug leaves.

Have you considered the possibility of a teeny tiny lasso/tether . . . or a bee yellow jacket leash?

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 26 2015 18:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, you try that first in your house and let me know how that works out for ya !

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 5:06:08
    #

Login to Send PM

> Note that "next time" the intention is to have a recently fed bed bug which will result in the spilled blood which my guess may totally surprise the spider and, perhaps, cause it to stop eating the bed bug. This spilled blood will occur because, believe it or not, this spider ferociously devours its prey in a violent manner resulting in bits of body parts. This is different feeding behavior and methodology than those type of spiders which may feed on the bodily fluids of their prey.
    The spider may continue to feed on the blood. I've seen this in house centipedes, too, as they feed on bed bugs. The biology and feeding habits of spiders are the same because all predigest their food and take in (suck up) the liquefied prey (bodily fluids plus muscles, organs, etc). Some spiders masticate the prey so it is broken up and some don't but only bite, thus forming holes in which their digestive enzymes pass. In either case the prey is bathed in digestive fluids. Digestive enzymes are from the midgut so, in essence, they have to throw up to predigest their prey; these enzymes don't come from the venom. You can watch them eat and you'll see a series of wet and dry prey as they flush and suck up. Widow spiders bite, but don't masticate; salticids (jumping spiders) masticate, for example.

13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 7:25:13
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, try this version to replace the original and second version, thanks much !

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

pjb

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 7:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Lou,

We watched this Jumping Spider masticate both bed bugs and consume the body. While the entirety of the first bed bug was consumed, there were just small "bits & pieces" of the second (larger) bed bug remaining. As such, the bed bug body was literally chewed up and consumed by this spider.

We tried to micro-video this but the spider kept moving and, since the depth of field is too narrow, it was way out of focus to be of viewing value.

BTW, someone on a pro only forum commented on my use of Christians as a reference for this video to which I replied: "What, too soon?"

Have a great day ! pjb

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 10:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We watched this Jumping Spider masticate both bed bugs and consume the body. While the entirety of the first bed bug was consumed, there were just small "bits & pieces" of the second (larger) bed bug remaining. As such, the bed bug body was literally chewed up and consumed by this spider.
    As it was chewing, it was introducing digestive juices in order to reduce it to a liquid meal. Spiders can't take in solids - there are filters to prevent this. As I noted above, certain spiders masticate or chew up their prey because in doing so a lot of the tissue is exposed and better suited to be bathed by digestive juices. They have a narrow mouth behind the bases of the chelicerae and it is connected to a sucking stomach, the muscles of which originate under the carapace and connected to an invaginated portion of the cuticle which provides more surface area of attachment of that muscle system.

16. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 13:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, thanks !

Sounds like we're going to have to get those Nat-Geo guys to film with a spider sized endoscope to sufficiently show the make up of those physiological structures.

Either way, the digestive liquids utilized by this spider must work very quickly as there was literally no waste and the entire first bed bug was consumed.

The second BB was much larger, about 1/3 larger in size, and there were just a few bits remaining.

Note that our "arena" was a white corning ware type bowl such that any remaining bits, pieces & particles would have been readily visible.

It will be a while before we do this again with a Daring Jumping Spider as the individual within the video performed so admirably in the arena that he earned his freedom having been released in our tomato garden where it can feast on aphids and other critters as part of our biological control program.

Have a nice day ! pjb

17. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 13:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd be interested to see a similar video using a house centipede, because I've heard they eat bed bugs too. Plus, I've never seen a house centipede eat, they're usually too busy darting across the room, and I'm too busy screaming or finding a shoe to smash them with. Saw one last month, and it worried me a little, because I know they eat other insects...

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 16:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

The video has now been shared in this post on the blog:
    http://bedbugger.com/2015/05/27/bed-bug-snuff-film-from-paul-bello/

I hope you like it!

Besides describing Paul's video and embedding it, I also have some photos and information on the spider species involved.

I encourage people to comment on that blog post also if they are inclined.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 16:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never seen a house centipede eat, they're usually too busy darting across the room, and I'm too busy screaming or finding a shoe to smash them with.
    Robinsmom: Leave them alone. They're actually helpful. The front legs are modified to inject venom and the mouthparts are of the chewing variety.

20. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 27 2015 18:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, man that's asking a lot... If I don't kill it, it might crawl on me, or my cat might catch it. And he eats bugs. But I will try. *grimaces*

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 29 2015 11:32:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Either way, the digestive liquids utilized by this spider must work very quickly as there was literally no waste and the entire first bed bug was consumed.
    The second BB was much larger, about 1/3 larger in size, and there were just a few bits remaining.
    Note that our "arena" was a white corning ware type bowl such that any remaining bits, pieces & particles would have been readily visible.
    The spider might retain the bolus of uneaten material (especially if minute quantity) and some time later dispose of it, so that could explain why you didn't see any waste immediately rejected.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14