Spent the day in a house that has bed bugs - what is the risk I took them home

(16 posts)
  1. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 1 2011 21:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

So first I was exposed by visiting friends, this morning I learned that I was exposed by visting a friends house yesterday.
    I spent the day sitting on their bed, and last night they found a bed bug.
    Because I am obsessive by nature I washed my clothes as soon as I got home, but did not wash my sweater/jacket until just now.
    I am very nervous as it seems I am constanly being exposed!! Should I be worried?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 13:19:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Not every exposure like this transmits bed bugs from house to house, but some do. So, yes, there's risk. Hard to say how much. Our "travel FAQ" are a good guide to what you need to do. http://bedbugger.com/faqs/travel/

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 13:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I read the travel FAQ, thank you for that.

I spent the afternoon on their bed without sheets (they were in the wash, baby had an accident) so am I wrong to assume that this puts me in greater risk of having eggs on my clothing? The bed bugs that were found were only found in the boxed spring, and an exterminator came in to spray and said that it seems to be a small amount, not a "real" infestation...

I guess there is really no way to assess the risk factor, is there?

What do I do with shoes that I wore over? Should I spray them? Heat them? Don't do anything?

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 13:42:47
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are as OCD as I am, I'd recommend bagging the shoes in a large Ziploc (it has to be a certain MMs or they chew through it ) and buy a packtite for shoes, etc...if at all possible financially.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 17:11:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug eggs are glued down when bedbugs lay them. So, it's not likely that you would have picked up bedbug eggs on your clothing. The bedbug would have to actually lay the egg on your clothing, which is very unlikely, because they prefer things that don't move.

At this point, do you know yet if you were bitten? It can take up to 10 days for the reactions to appear.

6. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 18:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I was there from 9:00 a.m. till about 3 p.m. so Im hoping the little buggers stayed hidden during the day.

I have not seen any bites, or had any itchy bumps to date. I did notice a bump on my head but Im pretty sure it was a pimple as it really wasn't itchy, so it is possible it was a bite I suppose but I cannot say for sure. It was the same day I believe that I noticed it.. but again when looking for signs you can easily mistake something for one. Do bed bugs bite even bite on the head?

I check myself often for bites because of the recent exposures that we have had, as well as my husband and to date we have had no bites.

I am very relieved to hear that the eggs don't stick to people, I guess there is no real reason to be concerned with my shoes then? I didnt wear them in the house, just thought maybe my sock had something on it... Paranoid much?

7. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 18:57:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I have REALLY bad reactions to mosquito bites they swell to the size of half a golf ball at times. Not sure if one reaction has anything to do with the other.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 22:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to make you worry more, but it is possible that a bed bug crawled into your jacket or shoes.

It seems like the likelihood would depend on how many bed bugs were present. And then luck plays a factor too.

It is not unusual to have itchy bumps if you even think you are exposed (psychological) so I would not worry about one bump meaning anything. On the other hand, lots of people don't react. For peace of mind, you might want to get some passive bed bug monitors. That way you can keep an eye on things going forward.

It probably goes without saying but I would avoid sitting around in places you know to have bed bugs in future -- am I right in thinking they did not warn you about this in advance?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 23:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 9 hours ago  » 
    If you are as OCD as I am, I'd recommend bagging the shoes in a large Ziploc (it has to be a certain MMs or they chew through it ) and buy a packtite for shoes, etc...if at all possible financially.

If you are sealing up a suspect item, choose a bag that will not break. Size does not matter. Also bed bugs cannot chew through surfaces.

Depending on construction of your shoe, you may be able to inspect it carefully for any bugs. Do not bother with alcohol, as it may damage the shoe and is of limited value. If you wish, a scrubbing with Murphy's soap would do same as alcohol, but milder on leather. For plastics, a soak in hot, soapy water.

10. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 12:42:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your advice.

I wore a sweater rather than a jacket and it went in the wash and dryer, (even though it is wool and did suffer a little from the dryer).

I found a mite in my purse the bext day (it was identified here on the forum) so my purse that I had with me is in a garbage bag as is my wallet, as I was certain it was a BB at the time, going to get it dry cleaned.

My shoes are converse running shoes, so to get into the toe of the shoe and have a good look around is going to prove difficult. My shoes are not in my house they are outside my door (we live in a four-plex) and there are other shoes there with them.. should I wash them all? I am probably going to throw out the carpet that they are on... not worth the stress in my mind.

I did not know of the BB situation when I went to visit, becuase if I had I would not have gone. That night they were up feeding their baby and saw a BB crawling on their bed... this prompted them to tear apart the bed and they discovered 3 more. The exterminator was called in the very next day. He did not seem to think it was a bad infestation, as he did not find any, but he did that if you see them, they are probably worse than you think. They only received a few bites, and thought it was mosquito bites as they were few and far between and they hadn't seen anything... don't know if that is a good sign when it comes to me bringing them home.

What is a bed bug monitor? I definately need to watch going forward, as almost everyone is my immediate circle has been exposed as they were visiting the baby.

11. dieBB...DIE

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 15:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I can tell you that no one has been exposed as much as me...the first time I know of was when my daughter's godmother kept getting mysterious "hives" as we thought they were and she had ridden in my car on several occasions and we would put our bags down next to each other's. She later discovered she had bed bugs. The next time is when I started babysitting for my aunt while I was on maternity leave and later found out that her last TWO baby sitters had them and I used to sit on the same couch they did, day in and day out. The next time was at my job when I had to work at a different office temporarily and saw one crawling out of my supervisor's coat pocket toward my jacket that was hanging right next to his. About 6 months later, they asked me to work that same location again and assured me the problem had been taken care of so I agreed and one afternoon it got dark and cloudy and a bed bug crawled across my desk and hid in a book I had brought with me and then they started coming out of my supervisor's chair. The next time was when I ran into my aunt's previous baby sitter about a year after she stopped working for my aunt and offered her a ride home thinking it had been so long the problem should have been taken care of. It was nighttime and she went to grab her bags out of my trunk and left her daughter in my backseat and she started crying so I reached my hand back to console her and her skin was COVERED in bites so they obviously still had them. When my best friend first had her baby I went over to her house quite often to help her with the baby and would sit on her bed and her couch and she discovered shortly thereafter, she had them. Another one of my aunts babysat my daughter one weekend and also babysat her friend's son for a whole week so of course he had his belongings with him and so did my daughter and I later found out his family had an active infestation going on and my aunt didn't even warn me. I went to my brother's house to see my nephew and of course sat on their couch and upholstered chairs and they discovered about a week later that they had them. And the most recent time was with another friend of mine who was about to give birth and I would go to her house to help her with her older son and of course would sit on the couch and she discovered she had them also. With all that being said, it is now about a year since my last exposure and to date I have never ran across a bed bug in my house or had any mysterious bites on myself or my daughter nor any fecal stains or other signs so I am pretty sure I'm in the clear and I didn't do anything special each time I was exposed other than to inspect like crazy and wait it out. Hope this puts you at ease.

12. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 16:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

dieBB...DIE, that is an INSANE story. I thought I had to bad with 3 exposures, yours are just insanity! I am doing just that, checking and monitoring and hoping all is well. I cannot imagine watching a bug crawl out of his jacket towards yours! That is unbelievable!!!

My first exposure was about 4 months ago, the second 2 months ago and the third less than a week ago. I have not seen any bites, but read that some people don't react to bites... so I look. Strangely enough I have been up at 3-4am for bathroom breaks for as long as I can remember so I try to look around without waking up the hubby, and so far so good.

Thank you for your stories and for helping me to relax about this.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 17:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

OCD,

The are FAQs linked from the Useful Stuff page about various types of bed bug monitors.

They are devices which help you know if you have bed bugs.

14. dieBB...DIE

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 21:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I could help. The coat cost me about $250 and I had just purchased it about 2 weeks earlier but when I saw that happen I left it right there and took the loss! Good luck with your situation

15. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 21:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

So far we are 10 days in and I have yet to see any bites. I am checking my mattress and sheets daily and still no sign of them... still vert anxious about the whole situation but trying to take it day by day because I guess only time will tell

16. howdoiwin

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 22:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

OCD - 22 minutes ago  » 
    So far we are 10 days in and I have yet to see any bites. I am checking my mattress and sheets daily and still no sign of them... still vert anxious about the whole situation but trying to take it day by day because I guess only time will tell

Hi, OCD,

I'm like that right now too! Except I didn't get the information until a few days later after a friend with a severe infestation (that they wanted to keep secret) basically sat twisting, turning, and rubbing on my jacket and scarf, leaning on my handbag for 2 hours :(.

I'm so glad you got to wash your things so quickly! Best wishes and I feel you on the "time will tell" sentiment!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10