Spam dressed up in sheep's clothing

(4 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 18:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Today a forum user posted four seven times.

They recommended products from a "natural enzyme" company we haven't heard much about, including encasements, a contact kill spray, and a bed bug laundry treatment, each accompanied by a link, all now deleted. (And more products to boot.)

Sometimes people posing as "Bed Bug Victims" aren't, and their product recommendations may be not be those of a genuine user. Caveat emptor!

And remember, if you see dodgy advice or suspect someone is secretly shilling, please click the link to "flag the post for moderation" (to the right of every post when you are logged in).

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 20:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I tend to listen only to the experts.

I've lurked or posted here for about 5 years. One of the things that seems to be an area of caution is someone who posts only once....and that one posting is about a wonderful product, BB firm, etc.

Hopefully not too off topic, but another area where I'm cautious is people - particularly those who claim they are an expert or BETTER than an expert because they don't have to worry about pesticide laws (yikes! but it has happened). This group tends to only post on one or more thread concerning a "hot topic". There have been cases where the "regulars" (Bello, KQ, Lou, EffeCi, Cain, etc) have stated the most recent science, and the poster will accuse them of ulterior motives. In most cases, it ends up wasting a lot of the experts time on discussing how the poster's new product isn't supported by science yet.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 22:26:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed!

In this case, the user shared information with other posters which was not good, and s/he got called out on that in several threads.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 23:01:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Updated because it appears this person posted seven times recommending Hygeia Naturals and Bed Bug 911 products and linking to them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie